• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weighing pellets OTHER than .177 - is it really "necessary"?

. . . not that it's even "necessary" for the .177 shooters, myself included, BUT I'm pretty sure that most field and target shooters are pretty adamant about doing so as kill zones can be small and every bit of an advantage you can get will count towards knocking that thing down.

With .22 cal and up though - and in particular high power PCP's (900+ fps) . . . what's the consensus on weight variations in these bigger, heavier - and often - faster flying projectiles with respect to the subjected?

I raise the question because of perceived inconsistencies that I experienced earlier today while out shooting my .22. JSB 18's - cleaned with warm soapy water and then dried, but other than that - not sorted, weighed, lubed - just cleaned off. Challenging myself with small targets at 50 yards today - beer bottle caps - 2, 3 shots - overlapping and right on the money. Then 1 high. Then on the money, Then high, Then low. Money. Low. Low. Low. High. Money.

"WTF???" I"m grumbling to myself.

I wrap it up and come home, then just for the heck of it decide to run 'em across my little scale. They're supposed to weigh 18.13 - they are in fact "all over the place". {sigh} Granted - MOST of them did fall into what I call "spec" - 18.00 - 18.19. Anything less than 18.00 went into the "light" bucket, anything heavier went into the "heavy" bucket. Some of those "lights" and "heavies" are just that too - 17.6's on the light side, 18.5's and even a couple of 18.6's on the heavy side.

Full disclosure - I've been experimenting with slugs on this same gun and have been shooting both with it over the last week or two and I haven't cleaned the barrel - maybe it's gunked up some and that is potentially contributing to some of the poi variance I was seeing today?

1590280458_20390342185ec9c10a522e91.56987403.jpg

;^) No perceived inconsistencies most pellets are just inconsistent straight from the tin although I did find the JSB 33.95s to have a very consistent head size so I quit measuring them and just pull anything out of spec in the roll test. Sorting, weighing and roll testing will improve your groups quite a bit. If you don't do it you will never know just how accurate these things can be.

Sorting and weighing

Yrrah roll test.

Yrrah roll test vid.

https://www.airgun101.com/index.php/component/allvideoshare/video/pellet-sorting-pt-4-yrrah-roll?Itemid=421

Or you can shoot NSA slugs as they are very consistent so, I seldom sort or weigh them.

^^ oh my. ( lol )

My wife saw me using the little scale and was somewhat incredulous. She was like "... really?" I"m like - ".... yeah, believe it or not it really does make a difference."

I'm a slacker - now I've gotta go back through my "in spec" bucket and split that in half. My "good spec" is 18.00 to 18.19.

Damn Sam - I knew some of you guys were hard core . . . ;-)

This coming week is my work from home week so . . . weighing and sorting it will be. 

DAMN YOU LUCKY!!! I HAVE AT LEAST 10-15 DIFFERENT CONTAINERS WHEN I WEIGH MINE. Yo!

^^😂 I was thinking the same thing. 

So I’m a back yard pinker using a Benjamin Prod. Shooting 6 to 30 yards at mostly mice and rats. I too weigh my pellets. I don’t wash them or sort by skirt size. I don’t have an exact weight that I feel is the Best. I just start shooting the batch of lightest pellets first then work my way up to the heaviest. For me it’s just peace of mind. Knowing It’s a simple procedure to help reduce those random flyers. 
I did a few thousand H&N FTT 14.66 grain. I got about 5 different weights. I’m now trying out the JSB Hades 15.89 grain. My first batch of 500 I got 10ish different weights. 
1590333397_10951336045eca8fd55498a4.80805910.jpeg

Give you guys a tip here on scale weighing. I started with reloading digital scales $100-$200 price range you know the mentality you get what you pay for right? Well those expensive scales drove me bonkers you know don't even breathe or set the tv too loud or NOBODY BETTER NOT Damn even WALK in the same room as me WEIGHING MY PELLETS otherwise readings keep goin back and fourth? Got a cheap generic NO NAME $10 CHINESE scale (that weighs in GRAINS) and 500%-1000% quicker weighing pellets and you can actually breath better with the tv at regular volume level. STILL BORING but a lot less overly sensitive reading issues but still NOBODY allowed to even STEP FOOT in my personal weighing room space. Weighing is good enough for my shooting needs. Yo!

yes. depending on your level being anal.... ;)

if a pellet wieghs a lot more than the wieght on the tin, then that lead has to be contained somewhere on the pellet. opposite for too light, then your not getting a fully formed pellet

i wiegh mine in 3 groups, the advertised weight +/- a bit on either side, a liighter set of parameters and one on the heavier side.

anything. ot in one of those groups gets chucked back into the tin.

i then roll each of those three groups into many sub groups. the biggest group from each wieght class gets shot for record.

i use the smaller wieghed/rolled for testing and zero shots