• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Weighed out a tin of .25 JSB 33.95 MK 2's

Just my opinion...
It sounds fairly good to me. I've let curiosity get the better of me too!
I like to shoot for precision. I want to put every pellet through the same hole. I'm not talking about clover leafing them. I don't mean a ragged hole. I want each pellet to go exactly through the same hole.
That said, weighing and head sizing is a must in order to shoot that precise.
If I were plinking around,groups around 1/2-3/4" at50-100 yards would be more than good enough. Hunting and friendly competition would require those groups. Of course it would depend on the size of your prey.
Those are pretty decent numbers for weights. As I said it's only my opinion.
I have weighed some tins of JSB Pellets and gotten a lot wider array of weights than that.
Honestly, the best adherence to the stated weights of the FX brand pellets tend to be closest for me. Air Arms versions tend to be the next.
I understand the FX pellets being closest because they have their own dedicated dies at the JSB plant. I think Air Arms probably has dedicated dies too.
As far as just the JSB brand itself, there are several dies. I'm not sure, but I suppose one could get pellets from certain batches that would be pretty close to the designated weights.
70% seems like a fairly good percentage per tin. As anal as I am,it drives me crazy to sit down and sort pellets when it gets farther out of tolerance than that. Something like 50% on weight usually gives that much tolerance on head sizing also.

Just my opinion...
It sounds fairly good to me. I've let curiosity get the better of me too!
I like to shoot for precision. I want to put every pellet through the same hole. I'm not talking about clover leafing them. I don't mean a ragged hole. I want each pellet to go exactly through the same hole.
That said, weighing and head sizing is a must in order to shoot that precise.
If I were plinking around,groups around 1/2-3/4" at50-100 yards would be more than good enough. Hunting and friendly competition would require those groups. Of course it would depend on the size of your prey.
Those are pretty decent numbers for weights. As I said it's only my opinion.
I have weighed some tins of JSB Pellets and gotten a lot wider array of weights than that.
Honestly, the best adherence to the stated weights of the FX brand pellets tend to be closest for me. Air Arms versions tend to be the next.
I understand the FX pellets being closest because they have their own dedicated dies at the JSB plant. I think Air Arms probably has dedicated dies too.
As far as just the JSB brand itself, there are several dies. I'm not sure, but I suppose one could get pellets from certain batches that would be pretty close to the designated weights.
70% seems like a fairly good percentage per tin. As anal as I am,it drives me crazy to sit down and sort pellets when it gets farther out of tolerance than that. Something like 50% on weight usually gives that much tolerance on head sizing also.
Thanks for your reply.....I just got into the air rifle world, I came from the rimfire benchrest game and the ammo monopoly that goes along with it...lol

I thought the 70% was pretty good also, considering how mass produced these pellets are....I became very anal about accuracy from shooting rimfire and building rimfire rifles for myself and others, I would spend sometimes hours indicating barrels in the lathe before I would thread and chamber them...as I know from experience that if a chamber is not perfectly aligned with the bore of the barrel there's no chance for getting my level of accuracy from it. I just bought a new MK3 a couple weeks ago and I've already did several mods to it...I just started looking at the ammo side of it...I just can't help it as I can't stand shooting a rifle if it's not accurate....I'll continue tinkering with it or I'll get rid of it....:)

Reactions: WVaMccoy
That's a great philosophy. I have a dreamline dream tact. I have modded it also. I bought it in 25, but I have bought every other caliber barrel in 600 mm. I was even able to find the 177 in 600. I have custom made different hammer weights for each caliber. It makes a difference.
IMG_20220926_150137.jpg
I'm looking to get an M3 soon. Unfortunately, I'm retired and it will take me 6-8 months to get the funds together. I've been retired since 08' ( I was just 41) and I'm still not used to having to wait for anything. I've spoiled myself to say the least.
Take your time and learn how to tune your M3. I'm sure you will be able to mod it and transform it into a gun as accurate as any rimfire. If you would like to learn how to tune your FX, look up AEAC (Steve Scially) may have misspelled his last name. He shows how to tune the Maverick that has 2 regulators also. He also has a crown video that has the same tuning philosophy. He can definitely help you out with the process. Once you get the concept you will be able to tune your M3 to do WHATEVER you need it to do. 50-400 yards! Have a good one bubba!

I weighted a couple tins of JSB 33.95s back when I was using a NOE die to cast my own 25s. I couldn't get good accuracy from my cast pellets but the JSBs shot well. So I looked at the weight variability of the JSBs I was shooting and the cast pellets. The JSBs weight variation was higher.

More recently I've been shooting a lot of 30 yard challenge targets and tried sorting some H&N Baracuda Match pellets my guns like. I could not find a difference for the ~.2 grain weight difference I found. I've also shot Baracudas of the same weight and they varied more in weight and, in 177, head size more. They did not shoot as well as the match. That may suggest weight and head size variation affect accuracy but it also could be that the match pellets are more dimensionally consistent which turns into the weight and head size consistency and better accuracy.

I bought the head size tool in 177 to try and explain why one tin of Crosman 10.5s shot well and two others shot poorly. I sorted a whole tin of 500 Crosmans and found a lot of variability in head size but I then shot the different head sizes and saw no real difference in accuracy. That's why I am leaning towards concluding variability in the pellets indicates variability in the manufacture of the pellets but the variation does not by itself cause inaccuracy.

That averaged spread is a little wider than I would expect, typically I see closer to 0.4gn. And if the 0.25% tolerance noted above by another poster is correct, that would put your tin slightly out of the tolerance provided by JSB. My scale has resolution to .01gn, though, so may skew our results a bit.

But FWIW, I stopped weighing/sorting pellets years ago. For me, the ROI was incredibly small and just wasn't worth it at all. YMMV depending on what you are doing.

That averaged spread is a little wider than I would expect, typically I see closer to 0.4gn. And if the 0.25% tolerance noted above by another poster is correct, that would put your tin slightly out of the tolerance provided by JSB. My scale has resolution to .01gn, though, so may skew our results a bit.

But FWIW, I stopped weighing/sorting pellets years ago. For me, the ROI was incredibly small and just wasn't worth it at all. YMMV depending on what you are doing.
My scale has the same resolution when set to gr.

Reactions: Spartan
I shoot for accuracy so I clean, oil and weigh all my pellets. In JSB supposedly 33.95gr, I get a range over 5 tins of 300 33.5 to 35.0 grains. In terms of spread of I keep 33.8 to 34.6 in groups of .1 grains. I throw away all the under and over pellets which in this case ended up being 29% of the 1500 pellets. The biggest of the .1 grain groups was just 12% weighing 34.2 grains.
For comparison I also weighed 1500 H&N pellets for an accuracy test I was preforming. H&N was much better on quality but didn't end up making the grade when it came to the accuracy @ 100yards. The weights ran from 30.8 to 31.4 with only a hand full falling outside of range.

Bottom line is JSB needs to quit bitching about whether JSB or FX is the same and check the tooling out and start producing a much more consistent product. H&N needs to do a redesign so the pellet works out past 75 yards, but I do appreciate the much more consistent weights and diameters of the pellet.

Don't get me started on slugs because even though the tooling is much simpler but the cost of the slug is higher and the quality???? You have to get lucky that you find a company and a weight of slug that actually works in your gun.

Reactions: oledawg