• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Weighed a tin of JSB .177 - 10.34 gr

i never weighed a tin of pellets before. So I have a match this Saturday and thought it sure couldn't hurt. Here is what I found out 
45% were 10.4
40% were 10.3
10% were 10.5
5% were 10.2
watching paint dry is a tad above weighing pellets. So for you accuracy buffs, do you think weighing pellets gives you a better edge?
do you regularly weigh your pellets before shooting a match? 

The further the distance to your target, the more of an effect weight will have on the shot. Let's say you are using the tin you just weighed...you're shooting a couple of 10.4's when then you pick up a 10.2. That little difference in weight will cause a rise, or fall in the pellets performance by as much as 1mm. This my not seem like much, but when your are trying to bulls-eye a 2mm target, It can make a huge difference.
I do weigh my pellets before a match, and it's almost as exciting as watching grass grow, but If you want to win, you don't take any chances.
Hope this helps
Mike

I have weighed most brands of pellets over the last few years. Some brands have a large spread of different exact weights, some have minimal spread. RWS meisterkugelns, and FTT's were the least spread, Crosmans in the tins the most.
It does make a difference, especially in .177, less in heavier calibers.
Run a chrony string with some weight sorted pellets to really see them shine, helps show consistency.

What kind of match are you shooting?

If you are weighing your pellets then I hope you are cleaning. There are a couple ways to do it. Some use dish detergent like Dawn and water and dry. Some wash with soap and water and then rinsed in alcohol. I have used either denatured alcohol, 90 proof isopropyl alcohol and lately 200 proof Ethel alcohol. On most of my pellets I very lightly lube with Finish Line Krytech.

Your pellet may weigh different after washing.

Shoot Straight,
Jay

Hi Anthony - As I stated in my post "Your pellet may weigh different after washing". I clean my pellets and I have noticed lead particles in the bottom of the solution. The amount varies from manufactures. I have noticed with JSB's that the amounts very from different lots. I don't know if it is a lot, or if it makes enough difference in the weight of the pellet to effect it's flight. I clean to remove the lead particles to keep it out of the rifles action and off my hands from handling them and to remove whatever lube the mfg puts on them during the manufacturing process so I can put my own lube on them.

I started lubing my Field Target pellets that I use in my HW97 because I found it helped in the accuracy and kept the barrel cleaner. I simply put a drop in the bottom and lid of a pellet tin, smush it around with my finger, put in about 50 pellets put he lid on and roll the pellets around, allow pellets to dry, repeat. I'm looking to just coat the rim of the head and skirt of the pellet. As stated, I lube with Trytech dry lube - it is a wax based lube that will not detonate in springer airguns.

I usually wash with soap to remove a lot of the swaft and then alcohol and I strain them through plastic colanders I picked up at the 99 cent store not the metal ones to minimize damaging the pellet skirts. Dump them in a towel and roll them around and dry the with a old hair drier and lube. I use alcohol that I get as hazardous waste where I work. It is used to clean parts and is still clean enough to wash pellets but not to clean the parts they use. Before I found that supply I used 90% alcohol from the local drug store. I use 2 containers, 1 for the first rinse which gets a little dirty and a 2nd clean rinse. Later the 2nd rinse became the 1st rinse. If I was more serious about competition I might weigh, roll or size the pellets put I don't at this time.

But I though if someone goes though the trouble of weighing, then I would think they would want to clean first - perhaps lube, if you find it helps with accuracy and barrel cleaning - then inspect and weigh.

By the way I also clean my barrels with Krytech.

I hope that helps - Shoot Straight - Jay

Reactions: Ted
25M benchrest match by the Phoenix Airgun Club http://www.phoenixairgun.net/Phoenix_Benchrest/Regional_Championship.htm

Well I guess I'm going to weigh my .22 pellets tonight. Fun, fun.
Anthony
there are some Top notch shooters in your club
have you checked with them to see what they do ?
2 of the top benchrest shooters in the US say they do NOT sort their pellets
but they go to the trouble to find the batch of tins that will shoot 10's & X's out of their gun
and when those pellets run out they go on the hunt again
you can go thru a lot of different batches looking for the correct pellet for your gun

Dick

Penchetta, I noticed while shooting my springer at 25 yds that the POI would move up and down vertically on my targets. 25 yds is my zero and I can typically group at .75 inch at this distance with H&N. FTTs. At first with POI moving up and down I thought mybe my hold or scope was causing the problem, but I noticed after shooting 30 or more shots that the pellets were grouping at different POI vertically about an inch or two from where POI should be. So I started weighing the pellets. Tin top says 14.66gr but weighing them they were actually 14.4, 14.5, 14.6, 14.7, 14.8, 14.9, 15.0, 15.1. That's .7 gr difference! I'm shooting .22 cal at 650 to 700 fps so POI was being affected by the different weights. I've confirmed this by shooting more than 200 shots at targets during the last few weeks. I don't match shoot but I love shooting! I hunt and the change in POI is the difference between killing and wounding. So I now have pellets that weight the same ( within .3 gr) grouped together in individual tins to carry hunting. Figuring holdover and under with 3 different tins of pellets has been challenging but fun. Last 12 shoots at squirrels and birds have been fatal, I'm on a roll!! Lol.

PS. Have not tried washing and lubeing yet, I'll get to that later.

Beach gunner: You sound a lot like me, in that I don't shoot matches yet, but do try to get the maximum accuracy from my guns. I have only tried washing one batch of JSB 18.1 grain pellets that is the favorite in my RWS 470 TH in .22 caliber. I routinely achieve 3/8" or less groups with this combo at my 44 yard range, rested front and lightly seated in shoulder rear. The washed and lubed pellets did no better than the unwashed pellets in my rifle.

So I decided to weight a tin of JSBs that are labeled as 14.35 gr and 5.5 mm head. I found that the weight ranges from 14.2 to 14.6, which Is really not that bad, 80% of the tin was 14.3 or 14.4gr. Now the tin says 14.35 and my scale only goes to tenths so I grouped all these pellets together and called them the same weight. I shot 20 at the target with a 5 to 7 mile quartering wiind from behind with the exact same hold on each shot. Below is the target with 6 shots outside the Quarter and 14 underneath, with rest from my zero 25yds with my Stoeger x20 S.
imagejpeg

imagejpeg