Wear your PPE!!

if the only way it can be degassed is by loosening the gauge, I'd fire it until empty, unless that's not possible because it is broken.. all guns SHOULD come with a degassing port, because when you loosen the gauge, you have less threads holding it in.. you are likely to have some threads peeled off the gauge, hopefully nothing off the port.. but I'm assuming that since you probably launched the gauge like a huge pellet, the gauge is probably damaged either way..
none of us seem to think about the pressure behind things, except when the pellet is not going fast enough. I know that it's not practical, but it really would be nice to be able to get even the air tube, or tank hydro test every so often.. because we are dealing with a lot of pressure.. I have read that the carbon fiber tanks are a bit safer, I guess they are aluminum tanks with fiber outside, and I did hear about one failure and it just hisses, instead of launching shrapnel..I'm very thankful that you didn't end up like a guy that was on YouTube working on the gun, apparently he was working on the valve with it pressurized and part of the gun was stuck in the ceiling and well the valve went far enough through his leg that it was bulging out the other side.. fortunately he had a friend who did first aid while calling 911.. otherwise he could have bled out..
this is a good reminder for all of us to be very careful with what we are doing with high pressure air.
also I am very happy you are ok!! I don't know about you but that would have terrified me.. probably would have had to swallow my stomach..
everyone think through what you are doing and be safe and careful.
Mark

if the only way it can be degassed is by loosening the gauge, I'd fire it until empty, unless that's not possible because it is broken.. all guns SHOULD come with a degassing port, because when you loosen the gauge, you have less threads holding it in.. you are likely to have some threads peeled off the gauge, hopefully nothing off the port.. but I'm assuming that since you probably launched the gauge like a huge pellet, the gauge is probably damaged either way..
none of us seem to think about the pressure behind things, except when the pellet is not going fast enough. I know that it's not practical, but it really would be nice to be able to get even the air tube, or tank hydro test every so often.. because we are dealing with a lot of pressure.. I have read that the carbon fiber tanks are a bit safer, I guess they are aluminum tanks with fiber outside, and I did hear about one failure and it just hisses, instead of launching shrapnel..I'm very thankful that you didn't end up like a guy that was on YouTube working on the gun, apparently he was working on the valve with it pressurized and part of the gun was stuck in the ceiling and well the valve went far enough through his leg that it was bulging out the other side.. fortunately he had a friend who did first aid while calling 911.. otherwise he could have bled out..
this is a good reminder for all of us to be very careful with what we are doing with high pressure air.
also I am very happy you are ok!! I don't know about you but that would have terrified me.. probably would have had to swallow my stomach..
everyone think through what you are doing and be safe and careful.
Mark
I agree that common safety concerns should mandate a simple degassing point on all pcp systems

I'm very thankful that you didn't end up like a guy that was on YouTube working on the gun, apparently he was working on the valve with it pressurized and part of the gun was stuck in the ceiling and well the valve went far enough through his leg that it was bulging out the other side.. fortunately he had a friend who did first aid while calling 911.. otherwise he could have bled out..

Mark
I have watched this many times. It is a grizzly reminder of how much stored energy is in a PCP.

Reactions: markhooper
I am retired after 50yrs as a scientist and engineer. I have worked extensively with "energetics" (our euphemism for explosives) and later for decades in pharma where everything is insanely toxic. I think that the most common lab injury were eye injuries. Wear eye protection even when working with springers, please. I have safety glasses in the trunk of my car and several locations throughout the house.

please

@FelixS Glad you weren’t injured. The gauge just blew up? I thought you were going to say that the oring around the gauge threads blew out. Wow man. For a brand that produces guns putting out that type of energy, I would think they would use higher quality components. At least components made to withstand the pressure level(s) present throughout these guns when pressurized. And degassing should be a fairly simple and safe operation in 2023. It’s not like this is new tech.

Reactions: FelixS
I even pucker when I degas using the bleed screw my gun has. Say it's a 1/8" set screw, at 3000 psi it has almost 150 pounds of force pressing on it. I back out the screw until it just stars to hiss and then maybe another turn and just wait patiently for it to drain.
fortunately they normally have long threads and a port, so you are not exactly partially removing the screw.. but serious stuff for sure.. if unscrewed far enough it's a pellet..
Mark

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Yep, that video came to mind for sure. My message is expect the unexpected and protect yourself. To clarify, the gauge did not fly off, the scale/face plate and lens blew off. I was facing it at that moment. I cannot understand the cause?
sounds like not as bad as I imagined.. I figured that the whole thing went across the room like a pellet.. I'm guessing a gauge defect?
still glad you are ok.. that's the main thing.. the rest is just parts.. a lot easier to replace the entire gun than a person..
Mark

@FelixS Glad you weren’t injured. The gauge just blew up? I thought you were going to say that the oring around the gauge threads blew out. Wow man. For a brand that produces guns putting out that type of energy, I would think they would use higher quality components. At least components made to withstand the pressure level(s) present throughout these guns when pressurized. And degassing should be a fairly simple and safe operation in 2023. It’s not like this is new tech.
this was so worrisome that I apparently didn't catch the name of the gun.. I only have one that does not have a degassing port.. was very disappointed when I got it and read the manual.. it's a umarex notos.. and to empty it you have to dry fire until out of air.. now what do they expect you to do if it is broken and won't fire and you need to send it for repair.. very unsafe in my opinion..
Mark

Protect your eyes, it can't be overstated. I had a .45 pistol blow up in my hands from a faulty (factory) round. It destroyed the pistol, and my eyeglasses took two hard hits from shrapnel. It broke my thumb, but no eye damage. At the time, I shot handloads almost exclusively, so I was surprised at a factory overload, but it happens. My hearing is pretty much destroyed, but I'm sure going to protect my eyes!

Reactions: FelixS
OK, to bring closure, I believe I have it figured out. When I first loosend the gauge it bled as expected then trickled down in flow, so I loosened it some more. Apparently, the oring came out of the recess and expanded till it vented into the gauge vent. This explains how the gauge body got pressurized.
Immediately after the event, I removed the gauge and found the oring stretched larger and distorted. It returned to its original size as seen in the photo. I pushed the needle back down from its distorted condition, so it looks relatively normal. The new gauge I ordered comes with a delrin oring. So, I figure it was the wrong type oring as the cause.
20230830_131550.jpg
20230830_131606.jpg

OK, to bring closure, I believe I have it figured out. When I first loosend the gauge it bled as expected then trickled down in flow, so I loosened it some more. Apparently, the oring came out of the recess and expanded till it vented into the gauge vent. This explains how the gauge body got pressurized.
Immediately after the event, I removed the gauge and found the oring stretched larger and distorted. It returned to its original size as seen in the photo. I pushed the needle back down from its distorted condition, so it looks relatively normal. The new gauge I ordered comes with a delrin oring. So, I figure it was the wrong type oring as the cause.View attachment 384913View attachment 384914
That’s bothersome, but it does make changes that I’ve seen elsewhere make more sense. I’ve extruded a gauge oring after installing the gauge with the oring positioned incorrectly, but because of the design the oring just popped.