• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

We really need some Scope write ups!

Lots of questions around Scopes here. Not many answers. I imagine there are specific types of scopes for bullpups, longer rifles (bench rest) and everything in between.
I for one have been contemplating scopes for my wildcat on order. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can help us out?

MOD EDIT: MOVED DISCUSSION TO GENERAL AIRGUNNING AS THIS IS REQUEST NOT A REVIEW.

There is only one scope that is affordable that is worth a damn. There are plenty of scopes in the 1k plus range that will be really nice but most airgun buyers don't feel comfortable spending 1800 dollars on a nice scope. If you are a hunter you don't need more than 12 x power. The SWFA SS fixed 10 or fixed 12 mil-quad reticle is the best scope you'll ever buy for an airgun. To get the glass, reticle and turret quality you would have to spend more than a thousand for a scope to get the same features on an SWFA SS. Theses scopes are made in Japan not China. I first learn of these scopes from "the man" Mr Eduard Gafarov better known as the owner and invented of the famed EDgun. If Ed puts these scopes on his bullpup and then shoots balloons at 200 meters with one they are good scopes. Get a SWFA SS. 

BIG, big subject !
The Physical Science involved in Optics is all pretty much established stuff (BTW our Telescopic Sights are most properly called 'Field Telescopes').

Unfortunately there is a lot of sales spiel around & also a lot of unreliable 'technical information' - the makers use the same obfuscation (ha!) as any other retail business knowing that many quoted parameters are almost impossible to measure in any agreed way - they are largely subjective.

One example that I (nobody else seems to care) object to is the mention of a set 'Exit Pupil' which seeks to imply the Ocular (eyebell) gives a fixed width, parallel sided viewing zone or circle - ITS CONE SHAPED FOLKS ! It also moves back & forth with changes to magnification (just a few makers include that info).

It might be better to establish Types of rifle scopes.

Meantime, here's my number one top tip...

AVOID LARGE FRONT LENSES LIKE THE PLAGUE unless your are a dedicated PCP target shooter who likes/needs constant range finding adjustment + over high mounting & have no worries about weight.

I bought a Bushnell Legend 4.5-14x44 mil dot and am real happy with it. I've never been a Bushnell fan but this scope has very good optics for a $250 scope. The good... It's light, is side focus, operates smoothly, and the poi doesn't change with magnification change. The only thing I would change is that the parallax only adjust to 20 yards, that's really not a deal killer for me, and I'd like for it to have a half mil dot reticule. If I were in the market for a scope I would give the Legend a look, you can't go wrong, Bushnell has a %100 buy back guarantee if you are not happy with it.

I had a Hawke Varmint 3-12 and had to send it back. I'd like to hear from some of you that have experiences with these,
mine was horrible, it functioned fine but the optics were about as bad as they could get, maybe I got a bad one. I bought the scope because they are light, I'm not a fan of heavy scopes and I don't need a lighted reticule.

I have a few Hawke Scopes, they are just fine and do well, I'm happy with them. My favorite scope, that I think has the best and brightest optics is my Nikon. Japan makes some of the finest lens in the world bar none, with that being said, for all I know Nikon might sub their scopes out (like so many companies do) to be made in China, who may one day make great glass, but for now are a bit behind in the learning curve. I see a lot of scope cam footage with real bad chromatic aberration, which may not make the scope shoot bad, but is the sign of a poorly made lens and bad coatings and when pumped up to high magnification they are all but useless or very annoying. I have a Leupold on one of my powder burners, but it's objective lens is a different size and would make an unfair comparison to the subject at hand. I would give Nikon a thumbs up as a good scope for the money.

I can offer some opinion on some optics and I have used and/or have most of the major brands for center rifles.

- Leupold (I have a lot of these) - great scopes generally, very good repair policy, very large selection, good used market.
- Vortex (I have a lot of these as well) - really awesome optic for the money. There are 2 lines, those made in the US and those made off shore (the Philippines). Both are very good and they have great customer service.
- Schmidt and Bender (I have several)- awesome optics but very expensive
- US optics (I have several) - ok optics depending on the optic itself, heavy, expensive
- Nightforce (I have several) - nice optics, heavy, expensive
- Kahles (I have 1) - very nice glass but expensive and not overly user friendly
- Unertl (I have 1) - nice but not really suited for an air rifle

For power, depending on the range, I would look at something in the 3-10, 4-14, or perhaps 6-16.
My recommendation to most anyone for most anything would be Leupold or Vortex.

As for testing, you can download the USAF 1951 optical resolution chart free from here (along with a lot of other targets) http://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/targets/ and do your own testing. Just like any eye exam, the more/smaller lines you can see the better the optic. Do it at various times of the day if you are comparing it to another optic to get a good idea of the quality of glass.

I have shot a lot of scopes. Everything from dots to big long range glass. In the last 4-5 years I have replaced everything on my PBs to Vortex. Great glass and a great company. I am a little biased though ;-) If anyone has any questions about Vortex glass (scopes, spotters, rangefinders, Binos.....) please let me know!!!! I am just getting into airguns now and am excited to learn about the unique needs of this segment of the shooting community. I am planing on putting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 EBR2-C MRAD on a .25 Bobcat and I have yet to decide what to throw on a Daystate .22. Again, if you have any questions please let me know!

"scubajeeper"I had a Hawke Varmint 3-12 and had to send it back. I'd like to hear from some of you that have experiences with these, mine was horrible, it functioned fine but the optics were about as bad as they could get, maybe I got a bad one. I bought the scope because they are light, I'm not a fan of heavy scopes and I don't need a lighted reticule.

I had one as well. It was my second airgun scope, the first being a Leapers 4-16X 50 I think. It funtioned fine but I thought the reticle was too heavy which gave it a cluttered look. I then upgraded to Sidewinders and Eclipses which I have two of each and and haven't looked back. I did try a Optisan Viper with the SCB reticle which was a 10X 1/2 mil but it seemed a little cluttered as well. I guess I just prefer the 20X 1/2 mil.
Jimmy