WE need collective data - Test to help us all learn something

Try this - 25 yards. Same gun. Same scope. same conditions. same size target

5 rounds standing at your highest magnification
new target
5 rounds at your lowest magnification
new target
5 rounds at your medium magnification

post pics of results

objective - to determine how magnification affects your freehand hold / aim / accuracy

Last edited:

new target
new target

post pics of results

objective - to determine how magnification affects your freehand hold / aim / accuracy
can i use a barn door ? @ 25 yards

new target
new target

post pics of results

It would appear folks don't like to shoot offhand.

OK, @cavedweller, I took the challenge in hopes that we could all learn something. Here are my results:

Surprisingly, I shot better on lower magnification in both of my tests. Let me know what you all think. Here are the pictures of both results:
20240412_151706.jpg

Off-Hand

20240412_165645.jpg

Bipod and Bag

Geez, since I got better results with lower magnification, hate to see what I could do with iron-sights like @MrP 🤔

OK, @cavedweller, I took the challenge in hopes that we could all learn something. Here are my results:

Surprisingly, I shot better on lower magnification in both of my tests. Let me know what you all think. Here are the pictures of both results:
View attachment 455088
Off-Hand

View attachment 455089
Bipod and Bag

Geez, since I got better results with lower magnification, hate to see what I could do with iron-sights like @MrP 🤔
Wowza

When shooting forced position in FT, I reduce the magnification to 10x-12x depending on the KZ size, and doing so, reduces the wobble in the sight picture.
Your brain is trying to keep your aim point in the center of the KZ. On 16x, your brain over-corrects and over-corrects the over correction.
Reducing the aim point size reduces the size of the oscillation allowing your brain to take the shot when you’re on the target.

The over correction oscillation can be fixed on high magnification by only looking directly through the intersection of the crosshairs. Do not look at where you want to put the crosshairs. You will see where you need to go with your peripheral vision ... but don't directly look there. It's hard to do at first...but it can be learned.

Mike

The over correction oscillation can be fixed on high magnification by only looking directly through the intersection of the crosshairs. Do not look at where you want to put the crosshairs. You will see where you need to go with your peripheral vision ... but don't directly look there. It's hard to do at first...but it can be learned.

Mike
Thanks Mike I’ll try this today day 2 of the Cajun Classics - awesome weather and people

Low power is like averaging and slowing down your movement giving you a better idea where your crosshairs are at a given time. Just think above shooting the opposite extreme with a 100X scope, you won't even know where the bulleye is.

The faster movement plays on your mind increasing your nervousness, making your aim even worst.

I will give this a try in the next coming week.

My hypothesis is that this will affect a portion of individuals significantly, but not everyone.

Interested to see the final results. Though I will say your test needs many repetitions to be statistically valid using 5 shot groups offhand.

If everyone repeats the test 5 times, you could have some real data worth analyzing and publishing to the academic community.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk

View attachment 455088
Off-Hand

View attachment 455089
Bipod and Bag

like the Pine's setting .

Your brain is trying to keep your aim point in the center of the KZ. On 16x, your brain over-corrects and over-corrects the over correction.
That was why I recorded myself from the side. You can clearly see that the end of my gun was "floating" all over the place when I was on high magnification, and it was much more solid when at lower magnification proving that you are 100% correct @davecole

Mike
This is a great tip, and one that I will try to practice. Obviously from the video, I have a LOOOONG way to go!

Low power is like averaging and slowing down your movement giving you a better idea where your crosshairs are at a given time. Just think above shooting the opposite extreme with a 100X scope, you won't even know where the bulleye is.

The faster movement plays on your mind increasing your nervousness, making your aim even worst.
You are absolutely right, and "taking something to the extreme cases" is something I like to do, but didn't really consider here. If you had a 100x scope shooting freehand, you would be all over the place trying to get it to line up with the target. "There it is" "Oops!", "Oh, there it is!"

My hypothesis is that this will affect a portion of individuals significantly, but not everyone.

Interested to see the final results. Though I will say your test needs many repetitions to be statistically valid using 5 shot groups offhand.

If everyone repeats the test 5 times, you could have some real data worth analyzing and publishing to the academic community.
Agreed. And using the tip that Mike (@thomasair ) mentioned about the peripheral vision, that would skew the results farther as you are practicing that technique. I'll probably try this again with a different gun, but wanted to use the 0.177 first because it is super light and easy to hold.

I would certainly be interested to see what others' results are.

Reactions: davecole