We need a slug challenge.

I am assuming most all these Target challenges are for pellets only? With all the new slug introductions should we do some slug target challenges?

Should be interesting to see people share their slug GROUPS or SCORES (not just the occasional miraculous shot), Seeing aggregated data representing real-world slug accuracy is something that I've requested a few times, with few takers.

My suggestion would be something as simple as the EBR practice target that circulated for awhile, 5 groups of 5 shots each @ 100 yards. Total possible 250 points.
Few sighters = more impressive.
Many sighters = less impressive.

And yes, pellets and slugs should be kept separate in these challenges, in my opinion.

And really, the new boat-tailed Altaros type slugs should be in their own class.
So, three classes:
1.good ole pellets,
2. what the industry has been calling slugs for the last 6-8 years,
3. Altaros type boat-tails

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief
Interesting! What slug?
AVS 2573 Diameter Hollow Boat Tail 257 Caliber Slugs - Hollow Point 85 Grains @ 1020 fps Tethered 3100 psi.
Splitting cards at 200 yards is not a fluke. I've done it over 2 dozen times with the right conditions.

AVS 2573 Diameter Hollow Boat Tail 257 Caliber Slugs - Hollow Point 85 Grains @ 1020 fps Tethered 3100 psi.
Splitting cards at 200 yards is not a fluke. I've done it over 2 dozen times with the right conditions.

How many shots does it take? "Over 2 dozen times with the right conditions" suggests it's an occasional occurrence versus the standard/baseline accuracy the gun/slug produces.

An extremely good measure of actual/average/real-world accuracy is 25 consecutive shots on paper, in this case @ 200 yards.

Should be interesting to see people share their slug GROUPS or SCORES (not just the occasional miraculous shot), Seeing aggregated data representing real-world slug accuracy is something that I've requested a few times, with few takers.

My suggestion would be something as simple as the EBR format, 5 groups of 5 shots each @ 100 yards. Total possible 250 points.
Few sighters = more impressive.
Many sighters = less impressive.

And yes, pellets and slugs should be kept separate in these challenges, in my opinion.

And really, the new boat-tailed Altaros type slugs should be in their own class.
So, three classes:
1.good ole pellets,
2. what the industry has been calling slugs for the last 6-8 years,
3. Altaros type boat-tails
maybe a "how many shots to cut a soup can in half (two pieces ) " Like Crow does every day with pellets, only this would be slugs , least amount of slugs wins . can hanging on a string .

This has been going forever....but only a few participants.

Mike

This has been going forever....but only a few participants.

Mike
As was discussed over there.....I would bet lots more have tried it than have shared their results.

Shooting that is a big healthy dose of reality to overly optimistic sluggalos. And yes I'm referencing the eyebrow raising Juggalo movement. Juggalos are cult-like in their love for ICPs music (unfounded in my opinion, much like sluggalos love their slugs).

Acceptable slug accuracy, again averaged out to be an accurate representation of typical accuracy, is rare. It exists, but not commensurate to the level of slug fever.

Reactions: thomasair
I saw that NAC has a 650 yard extreme target!
can't wait to see the results from that!

How many shots does it take? "Over 2 dozen times with the right conditions" suggests it's an occasional occurrence versus the standard/baseline accuracy the gun/slug produces.

An extremely good measure of actual/average/real-world accuracy is 25 consecutive shots on paper, in this case @ 200 yards.

Here is a group I shot just last week at 200 yards. 15 shots and I partially split the card 4 times. Meaning, I hit the card dead center and the slug deflected.

Its rare to completely split card in half, but I have done it once or twice.

So check out my "Shooters MOA" groups at 200 yards. They are not hail Mary shots..

I'm not posting this to brag. Just to show what is possible after thousands of shots and a good setup..

I shoot at the Diablo Rod and Gun club in Concord California and welcome anybody to come shoot with me and with a bunch of great airgun shooters.

Rod in San Francisco

1000004466.jpg
1000004465.jpg

Reactions: Blueduck
You've got a 3.5" tall playing card on there for a size reference. Your far right and far left shots are further away from each other than the height of the card, by what seems to be about double. So a 6.5-7inch group @ 200 making that a 3.1-3.3moa group. 15 shots though, which is a plus.

4/15 sounds occasional to me. The 4 that touched the card aren't your average accuracy, they're the outliers. To do that 2 dozen times you'd need to take 90 shots, assuming a continued 4/15 hit rate (4/15 = 24/90). You're missing a lot more than you're hitting. You've chosen a difficult target, I'll give ya that.

Next time you're at the range, try shooting 5 consecutive groups of 5 shots each, or even 25 shots in a row, trying to center a bull, and then share that. 100 or 200 yards, whichever you prefer.