• This section is NOT for leaving Member feedback. To leave a Member feedback regarding a Classified transaction simply go to the Members profile and click the ADD FEEDBACK button.

We Need A New Forum Section For Machine Work

Now that the moderator section has been killed off maybe we could replace it with machine work that would exclude the things this forum's owner doesn't want.
All content could be approved by JimNM to be sure it passes his "whining, hot wind and hissy" standards of course.
Your first sentence was spot on except the last eight words. And your last sentence is probably why nobody wants to take you seriously. You sound like a disgruntled chick. You seem to be a pretty smart dude so when you’re going to say something, treat it like work. Measure twice, cut once.

Your first sentence was spot on except the last eight words. And your last sentence is probably why nobody wants to take you seriously. You sound like a disgruntled chick. You seem to be a pretty smart dude so when you’re going to say something, treat it like work. Measure twice, cut once.
I am who I am and can only be me. I never have problems in person, it's just human nature that people read things as negative when they have no other cues to determine the intent.

If you read the whole thread you'll discover most take me seriously and you and Jim are the negatives.

I am who I am and can only be me. I never have problems in person, it's just human nature that people read things as negative when they have no other cues to determine the intent.

If you read the whole thread you'll discover most take me seriously and you and Jim are the negatives.
Yes, I’ve been burned a thousand times texting a girlfriend. Words are tricky. Phone calls, never a problem.

Wow, heavy-impact, I must have hurt some feelings to get that emotional response. You need a hug?

Still no action with the 100's of machine threads just waiting to be placed in a new playground? Surprised, I am.

With the demise of controversial sales, trades, design and discussion.... You ain't gonna get a new section that teaches people to run machines (that are not inherently connected air powered shooting devices).

Hate all you want, just more reason to ignore the request. Not your rodeo, not your clowns.

Wow, heavy-impact, I must have hurt some feelings to get that emotional response. You need a hug?

Still no action with the 100's of machine threads just waiting to be placed in a new playground? Surprised, I am.

With the demise of controversial sales, trades, design and discussion.... You ain't gonna get a new section that teaches people to run machines (that are not inherently connected air powered shooting devices).

Hate all you want, just more reason to ignore the request. Not your rodeo, not your clowns.
Okay Karen.

Reactions: Airgunmann
I was just looking at it like this. When we look at sub forums, what percentage of member fall into that category. Optics? Almost everyone. Hunting? Maybe 50+%. ELR? Maybe 25%. Machinist? Maybe 2%. That’s why when I made the slug forum suggestion and it kinda fell on deaf ears, I understood. Such a small percentage of us were doing it at the time that it really wasn’t worth the effort. Now if they had a slugs tips and tricks sub, guys would live there because over 50% of airgun guys are now chasing powder burner status. Or at least dabbling in it. The Motorhead guys and the DIY hobby machinists are still a very small segment compared to the bolt on crowd. If they decide to try it, that’s cool but if all the machinists on here aren’t posting a ton now, do you really believe it’s because they don’t have their own special sub forum? Just asking.
These sorts of DYI forums seem to grow legs pretty fast. There might not be many contributors right now but I suspect that's only because they don't have a dedicated forum. And not all are necessarily machinists, many might simply be just curious about how some things are made, modified, etc

Reactions: heavy-impact
Here's a few parts I made for the V3 while we're waiting to hear from Mr Wendt.

V3 mods - .jpg

Did you mount that poppet spring adjuster on a rotab to do the radiused chamfer?

GsT
Yes sir. It's a really low quality rotary table with a really cheap chuck mounted on it. The part originally had six smaller holes. I just eyeballed it but it's good enough to get the job done.
The steel part of the hammer was turned from a grade 8 bolt and press fit.

Reactions: GeneT
Yes sir. It's a really low quality rotary table with a really cheap chuck mounted on it. The part originally had six smaller holes. I just eyeballed it but it's good enough to get the job done.
The steel part of the hammer was turned from a grade 8 bolt and press fit.
Looks pretty good. I keep a low-quality 5" rotab with a tiny 3" chuck on it just for stuff like that - good enough and way quicker (and easier on my back) than setting up my 10". On my list of things to do is make a base plate so I can just drop it in my vise.

GsT

Looks pretty good. I keep a low-quality 5" rotab with a tiny 3" chuck on it just for stuff like that - good enough and way quicker (and easier on my back) than setting up my 10". On my list of things to do is make a base plate so I can just drop it in my vise.

GsT
Mine has a base that tilts 90 degrees or so. I leave it mounted to the far left and replace the crank handle with my Makita 18v drill when I want a radius in the bottom of plenums. It's easier for me to do them with a ball nose end mill. I've used the same method to make magazines a little deeper to fit heavy slugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeneT
More pics while we're waiting to hear from Mr Wendt

I made a spider nut to center barrels in the lathe spindle opposite the 4 jaw chuck.

View attachment 456186View attachment 456187
I also run a spider on the back of the LeBlond. Incredibly useful little widget. Typically use a magnetic indicator to center up the stock sticking out past the spider as well centering it up in the 4-jaw.

More pics while we're waiting to hear from Mr Wendt

I made a spider nut to center barrels in the lathe spindle opposite the 4 jaw chuck.

View attachment 456186View attachment 456187
Nice work. I’ve always thought that lathes should come with this from the factory. I made one for one of my lathes that’s not quite as nice but works fine. I bought a replacement nut and welded a short tube and threaded holes.

Dave

@heavy-impact Which steps do you take to ensure that the barrel is adequately centered and that all of the screws are turned in equally on your spider nut?
I use a dial indicator to center it. I never count the screw turns, I'm just adjusting to the least deviation from center but I do try to have the same tension on every screw.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Nice execution on the gear train spider!

A spider for the chuck is also nice to have...saves time not having to swap from the 3-jaw to the 4-jaw for most barrel machining operations.

Mine is a simple thick-wall steel pipe. Can add jam nuts if you want but I haven’t found it to be necessary. Just be mindful not to overtighten the bolts and put a constriction in the bore.
BB0DE316-F11B-4A5D-8519-6C2A3F06008F.jpeg

I prefer to use a gunsmith back plate or a large 4 jaw with shims for barrel work. It takes less than 2 min to switch between the chucks with a more solid setup than adding another tube that extends the work Piece further out possibly adding flex. I use mine on firearms related stuff so much more stress cutting and chambering than the typical airgun barrel work. In the end if your system works for you thats what matters.
IMG_5834.jpeg