We are Shooting 546 yard at the Oklahoma City gun club and Will have a Silhouette competition.

This is the FB Page please Join.
The following links will take you to some videos we have put together about our shoots.
2023 High Plains Handgun Metallic Silhouette National Championship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z9uZ-0N0zs&t=49s
Air Rifle Silhouette, it is amazing to see an Air Rifle knock over a Ram Silhouette at 200 meters!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhnhEQ94TfI&t=47s

Man that would be fun!!!

So big gun is 50Y chicken(offhand), 100Y pig, 150Y turkey, 200Y Ram? I like that you can tether.

Small gun 25Y to 100Y? What's the power limit on this one?

I'd almost make that 15 hour drive to shoot that match but nope for a couple reasons. Don't have a big gun so that'd be the main one.

It would be great to actually get an organization started to set standardized rules and regs similar to what Oklahoma City is doing on a national scale. There are alot of Gun Ranges in the US that could be utilized for this. I know of at least one or two in Ohio that has Silhouette matches for smaller bore PBs that would be easy to use for airguns. I really think it could catch on for large bore airguns. Looks like the Oklahoma City Gun Club has it set up pretty well. I think it could be a foot in the door to non airgun ranges if it catches on.

Man that would be fun!!!

So big gun is 50Y chicken(offhand), 100Y pig, 150Y turkey, 200Y Ram? I like that you can tether.

Small gun 25Y to 100Y? What's the power limit on this one?

I'd almost make that 15 hour drive to shoot that match but nope for a couple reasons. Don't have a big gun so that'd be the main one.
Yep, that's it.

Reactions: steve123
Back in the 90s I shot BPCR Silhouette at Ridgeway Pa. and it was the most fun I ever had in 60yrs of shooting. I would love to do it with airguns. Anybody trying it with Vernier sights? I would think at that range they would be easier than a scope.

I went down to Phoenix/BenAvery with some friends heavily into BPCR, state champs in fact. Man seeing those guys cleaning their barrels between the different relays and also blowing down the barrels with a tube after every shot absolutely turned me off to BPCR!

However I got into Vintage Sniper which was on the same animals during that same match. A collector I know sponsored me with some expensive originals and I set the course record with one in VS at this venue back then and also got high score that day. That old Swedish M41B would put down 4" groups on the Turkey with my reloads and I cleaned the rack 10/10. It was windy that day so my .55BC 140 grainer at 2600 fps was a big advantage compared to a BPCR .35BC at 1200 fps.
But still I decided I didn't like VS either because of POI shifts as the barrel heated up and other things like the old scopes.

However this airgun silhouette would be more suited to my preferences.

Reactions: ba49 and davestr2
Dave what cal. guns are the most common? The guy in the video was shooting a .30 cal? Are the silhouettes full size like the PBs use? Ridgeway Pa. where I used to compete has a match for BPCR every month in the Summer and Fall. I could see this working maybe the same at some ranges looking to pick up more shooters once they try it. Does there seem to be much interest out there?

Reactions: davestr2
Barrels kind foul up. So have to clean them often. We shoot theddered. till the 50-yard Chiickeen standing.
70725903438__E711CCFE-9BE1-4D89-BA5F-CF5E0C33FDE2.jpg
70726107683__C18FD768-E5E0-4FB3-A884-DD4AD190FAEF.jpg

Can they use any cal. or is there a limit? Are there regulations on the rifles like with the PB matches, weigh, cal. ect? I have an AEA big 9 and an AEA 50 that would probably make plenty of power with mods. Are these matches being held in other places also? I have been wanting to get back into this ever since I had to give up the heavy recoiling PBs for health reasons. Wish I lived closer.

I always thought it would be great to shoot close to full size ones out as we could get with airguns. Biggest problem would be power at those distances, would have to shoot tethered I would think. When I stopped shooting I was at AAA class. One of the guys I shot with was the only guy to shoot a straight round in competion at the time. Not sure if ours have since done it as I haen't been following it much any more.

Reactions: davestr2
We started with Texans. So waiting to see who brings what. We tried 120 gr slugs but they did not knock rams over and also had some pigs stand. So you need about 300 fps to do it easily. Then you can hit the 500 RAM, too.
The high power silhouette matches at our local range (full size targets at 200m to 500m) only have a few old timers that still do it and they often shoot from the benches these days. I have shot with them a couple of times with my 260fpe airgun. I can knock down the chickens and lightly set pigs. The turkeys (only an occasional knock down) and rams (never a knockdown) are mostly a no go.

At the 2023 RMAC magnum slug match, they used something like the Caldwell Flash-bang electronic hit indicators. That worked great. At our range, we have a full size swinger version of each silhouette at each bank. I bought four of the Caldwell Flash-bangs to install on the swingers. The plan is to shoot the swingers for score instead of the the knock down targets. The swingers are heavy, but hopefully will vibrate enough to set off the indicator using as low as 22lr. I hope to try it out this Sunday withs competitors using airguns and low energy powder burners.

We have been using the magneto speed indicators @ 500 and they are working with 22 lr as well as 22 air. I have 8 of the caldwell sitting here that will be used also.I think they will work great even with a heavy target . Take a few rocks to pitch at the target you may have to find the sweet spot ?

Last edited:
Scotchmo you may be on to something. Sounds like airgunners may be able to offer PB silhouette clubs with falling numbers for silhouette an alternative to just stopping the matches. I'm sure they have a pretty big investment in equipment and range work and this would bring a whole new set of shooters. Same thing happened to our old trap club years ago. I really pushed for them to let me bring in sporting clays and it totally revived the club but also allowed the oldtimers to contintue their trap shooting. Best of both worlds for the club.