Ways to tune a regulated PCP

changing valve springs? i think that makes no difference. its a very small spring and the pressure behind is MUCH stronger. we are talking about 1200 - 4000 psi the only purpose that this spring has is to close the valve when you cylinder/bottle is completly empty :)

There is no doubt that valve spring strength can change the way that your gun shoots. For some guns like the FX Royale platform it’s a small light spring that mainly functions to shut the valve without air pressure in the bottle/tube. But in other guns it most certainly affects power and shot consistency. 

In my .22 EDgun R3 Long I’ve tried various valve springs to see their effect on the gun. The stock spring is a very stiff spring. Replacing that with a lighter one gave a large step change in power, from 920 FPS with RD Monsters to over 960 FPS with same reg pressure. Two unintended consequences. ES went up from about 7 to 8 FPS to about 15 to 16 FPS. And shot efficiency went down from over 40 shots per fill to about 30. Putting in a stronger valve spring (shimming the stock stiff spring, just a couple of washers) resulted in very low power and the Hammer Spring wasn’t stiff enough to function with the stiffer valve spring.

Some guns like the Crickets and Vulcans have a valve spring retainer plate that can be adjusted in or out to fine tune valve spring tension. And of course the new Impact’s valve spring is externally adjustable. 

So yes, valve spring tension can Definitely play a role in how your gun shoots, both power and efficiency. ;)