Ways to clean your barrel.

I undertand the need to clean the barrel of a new (or used) air rifle. So, I went on YouTube and looked at methods used.

One method was to shoot a cleaning pellet down the barrel. Before the guy did it, though, he put some Parker Hale Youngs 303 on the pellet.

Is that smart?

Here' the video I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWsmRQe1pE

Another method:

I saw other videos where the guy used a length of doubled over fishing line,and a drinking straw to start it into the barrel. He then put on Ballistol on the patch before pulling it back out. If any of you do this, what poundage fishing line do you use.

Thanks, Bobby.

You should look up the patchworm system. Hands down the best cleaning system. It’s cheap and multi caliber. Look up reviews on yt and you will see why it’s the best. Only thing possibly better is a Dewey rod or something similar. Personally though I wouldn’t use something as rough, however, some users do with good success. The pellets are only good for clearing lead shavings in a pinch out in the field. It doesn’t do any real scrubbing which is what you need to get into the groves.

Patchworm is one one of the best tools I have ever purchased. I keep one in .177 and the larger kit that fits nearly all bore sizes ready to go and use them all of the time. I find the .22 patches will work in both .177 and .22. I use Ballistol exclusively, though if I have a really dirty bore, I might precede it with a patch with JB Bore Paste. I usually use two patches soaked in Ballistol, followed up by dry patches until clean. Once I think the bore is clean, I will shoot a felt cleaning pellet down range. Note - if I am working on a springer, I double up the cleaning pellets in the chamber before firing to create enough resistance to avoid any spring damage!

This combination of the Patchworm system and the cleaning pellets works perfectly.

The PatchWorm kit is what I would recommend. It's a simple system that will out clean a standard pull through rig. Using Ballistol, an optional felt button and a patch with the Patchworm kit will really do a good job of cleaning the bore. Of course a cleaning rod and a bronze brush will always be the best thorough cleaning, but is typically not needed if keeping up with the Patchworm kit. With the cleaning rod, the bronze bristles will damage the breech O-ring, so a replacement breech O-ring should be installed afterwards.

The PatchWorm works very well, and will probably be all you need for most of your cleaning. Most barrels will, on occasion, need more, so a good rod and brushes should be on hand. Most PCP barrels remove easily, making cleaning with a rod very simple. I use nylon brushes, and generally remove the breech O ring, although probably not necessary.

+1 on patchworm. Great product for the price, and you can even use it on your PBs (if you have any). They are inexpensive enough that you could keep a second kit in your vehicle if you so a lot of shooting away from home.

I have used monofilament to clean before I got my patchworm...50lb test or stronger seems to work just fine. I have used Hoppes #9, Kroil, and Ballistol (but I'm not a fan of the smell - dirty gym socks). All seem to clean equally well.

I use the cleaning pellet a ton. I almost never do a "full" clean of my barrel. To start out, I'd suggest a more thorough cleaning though, so patchwork might be good. Then afterwards, I just hit a cleaning pellet with ballistol and fire it (and a lead pellet) once or twice when it appears accuracy might be starting to slide.

Do you shoot a lead pellet at the same time with a felt pellet? Which is loaded first, lead or felt?

The Kitrobaskin household uses Ballistol as well.