Wax and gun bores

Honestly, it's really not that complicated. I add 100g of carnauba wax to 100g of mineral spirits, heat and mix. Store in a JTS tin and apply by hand to a patch.

It's awfully messy and I bet a small addition of paraffin would make it better but I'm not buffing furniture so as long as the wax will flow on hot steel, I'm happy.

Reactions: Bandito and JDGriz
How about Johnson Paste Wax or good ol' Kiwi Shoe Polish?

I'm trying to find something to use that we already have laying around, rather than buying something specifically for this, only to have it laying around for decades, too.

IMG_0993.JPG

Neither of these lists the ingredients.

Thanks, guys.

Reactions: Bandito
How about Johnson Paste Wax or good ol' Kiwi Shoe Polish?

I'm trying to find something to use that we already have laying around, rather than buying something specifically for this, only to have it laying around for decades, too.

View attachment 447039

Neither of these lists the ingredients.

Thanks, guys.
two thumbs up for Johnson paste wax,, i would leave the Kiwi for the leather

Reactions: dormitionskete
If you want to go full McGyver, you could try something like Shea Butter. It's quite affordable, easy to find. It has some oeleric and stearic acid in it, so it might not be ideal, but it's essentially a waterproofing wax. Very low-tech. You can find it in some feed stores (people use it to make candles) and in African goods stores (used in hair care and cooking oils).

Reactions: Normkel
Honestly, it's really not that complicated. I add 100g of carnauba wax to 100g of mineral spirits, heat and mix. Store in a JTS tin and apply by hand to a patch.

It's awfully messy and I bet a small addition of paraffin would make it better but I'm not buffing furniture so as long as the wax will flow on hot steel, I'm happy.
I am going give pine turpentine a go as well, for comparison. I think if white spirit/mineral spirits is used it should best be "odorless white spirit"/"artist's white spirit"/type 3/Isopar L - plain normal mineral spirits contain sulfur; Isopar G might also work (it's thinner and 4 times faster evaporating than Isopar L).

Last edited: