Wax and gun bores

Well, the wax came in earlier than expected. Still got turpentine in it. Actually amazing it hasn't been messed with like everything else.
1000005745.jpg
1000005746.jpg

Well, it needs some more loving then. It wasn't machined right to begin with and took 5 months. When received, the bolt would not close all the way. After i corrected that, loading pellets was way to difficult, so I had to open that up with more polishing.
Oh, you got one, got it, have you talked to Matthew? I'm sure he'll make it right.

Motorhead turned me on to waxing barrels back in 2020 with some fantastic results!

I do remove the barrels, then I put them in a small convection oven set at 200° F (breech o-ring removed) for 20 minutes.

I put them in padded vice shoes and using the string trimmer line pull/pull method, I run a saturated patch with a carnuba wax blend back and forth in the bore until I feel the friction almost disappear.

I then run a tight clean patch with the pull/pull method until the patch also drops the friction noticeably.

I let the barrel cool and reassemble.

I understand those that will be skeptical but I don't notice any need for fouling shots after.

Motorhead turned me on to waxing barrels back in 2020 with some fantastic results!

I do remove the barrels, then I put them in a small convection oven set at 200° F (breech o-ring removed) for 20 minutes.

I put them in padded vice shoes and using the string trimmer line pull/pull method, I run a saturated patch with a carnuba wax blend back and forth in the bore until I feel the friction almost disappear.

I then run a tight clean patch with the pull/pull method until the patch also drops the friction noticeably.

I let the barrel cool and reassemble.

I understand those that will be skeptical but I don't notice any need for fouling shots after.
So, I'm going to guess that an Oxy-acetylene torch might be a bit too much? All kidding aside, I can see how warming it up a bit would get the was into the pores of the metal better.

Reactions: Firewalker
So, I'm going to guess that an Oxy-acetylene torch might be a bit too much? All kidding aside, I can see how warming it up a bit would get the was into the pores of the metal better.

I tried a bunch of methods to apply wax but the convection oven gave me the best results.

The carbon rod arc gave me the worst results but shooting around corners was much easier. 🤣😆😁

I tried a bunch of methods to apply wax but the convection oven gave me the best results.

The carbon rod arc gave me the worst results but shooting around corners was much easier. 🤣😆😁
There is zero way I can get my 600mm barrels in my oven, one of the issues is the wife, the size is the other. i'm wondering if on the concrete on a HOT day would be close.

Don't forget to roll the barrel 180° after 10 min and rotate the pan .

I might give the wax a go . The Taipan manual states to clean the barrel every 1000-2000 shots.

Crazy thing . My Vet short in .177 didn't like the newer design 10.3 JSB rd pellets or the 10.3g Hades . I used some up some just plinking and doing a shot string. Probably 70+ pellets or more. I tried them again today and it was shooting clover leafs at 35 yards . It still doesn't like the Hades but the 10.3 round nose were doing great . Did I shoot the barrel into submission or what ?