Water treatment for water cooled compressors

I know this subject has been beaten to death few times already but I'll ask anyway...

I just bought distilled water for compressor water cooling system. No problem with that, of course.
But, after some time, I'm sure, all kind of stuff will start growing in that water.

As I understand, using car motor antifreeze is not a good option because of chemical reactions with aluminium compressor head.

I've read on this forum that there are many additives available for water treatment but I live in Europe so a lot of that stuff is not available here and can't be shipped here and/or shipping would be a murder.

So, for members here in Europe, what do you use as a water treatment and where do you get it?

Thanks!

I know this subject has been beaten to death few times already but I'll ask anyway...

I just bought distilled water for compressor water cooling system. No problem with that, of course.
But, after some time, I'm sure, all kind of stuff will start growing in that water.

As I understand, using car motor antifreeze is not a good option because of chemical reactions with aluminium compressor head.

I've read on this forum that there are many additives available for water treatment but I live in Europe so a lot of that stuff is not available here and can't be shipped here and/or shipping would be a murder.

So, for members here in Europe, what do you use as a water treatment and where do you get it?

Thanks!

I use Water Wetter. Nothing better for a low-temp compressor IMO. Water Wetter doesn't lower the cooling properties of DW as much as auto anti-freeze does, but it acts as an anti-corrosive and anti-fungal, both good properties to have in a closed loop cooling system. Plus it's a lot cheaper than AF and comes in smaller quantities that we need.

All of that being said, as long as you are using something to prevent corrosion as opposed to pure DW, you'll be fine. In order, here are my personal preferences:

1) Water Wetter
2) Boiler AF (10/90% or 20/80% max ratio) (propylene glycol)
3) Auto AF (10/90% or 20/80% max ratio) (ethylene glycol)

Either way, don't fall for the "you need a 50/50 mix" falsehood unless you're in danger of freezing. The more AF you use, the lower the cooling properties become. That's why I say 10/90% or 20/80% max.

Last edited:
I was just discussing this with the compressor guru Todd about my Omega super charger.

Screenshot_20240508_055722_Messages.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am using NAPA Kool “Cooling System Treatment” product for my compressor and the 5-gallon aluminum water tank. Here is a link to my review:

ThomasT