• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Water/Oil filter question

If you're only filling guns air reservoir & not tanks this one would suit your needs (link) for less than half the cost of the Amazon one.
(The 130 mm/5.5", larger size!)

I tried that blue one twice.
1685477131487.png

Both times the safety disk blew well below the specified 4500PSI. Prolly between 3500 and 4000psi I never fill my guns straight from my Benjamin Recharge compressor, I only fill my large tanks. This filter is the only thing in line as I'm trying to fill the tanks. I wrote a terrible review and the vendor reached out to me and offered me a totally different filter. They just want the negative review to go away. They sent me this gold filter
1685477323599.png
Picture shows the new one (Gold) and the original which they did not want back, so now I have 2. I upgraded my review slightly since they never addressed the fact that the blue one would not operate at the specified 4500psi but they made good on my purchase so I was happy about that.
I use a filter when filling my tanks and I use one again when filling my guns so I guess I can safely use the blue one when filling my guns sometimes.

I use a coalescing filter (https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Water-Oil-Separator-Filtration-Compressor/dp/B077SX5G9V) after the compressor, then the Tuxing gold filter above, followed by a short blue filter with a little cotton filter that came with the compressor. The compressor is lowest (bottom shelf), then the filters are arranged vertically above each other, with the blue filter & tank on the top shelf. Even water vapor is heavy, so do what you can to let gravity pull it downward.

I use a coalescing filter (https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Water-Oil-Separator-Filtration-Compressor/dp/B077SX5G9V) after the compressor, then the Tuxing gold filter above, followed by a short blue filter with a little cotton filter that came with the compressor. The compressor is lowest (bottom shelf), then the filters are arranged vertically above each other, with the blue filter & tank on the top shelf. Even water vapor is heavy, so do what you can to let gravity pull it downward.
Thanks. It's my understanding that most coalescing filters do not perform well unless there is a higher volume of airflow than many of the compressors used by PCP owners will produce. Is that correct?

I fill my SCBA tank with my YH using the little filter it came with and another filter about the size of the blue and smaller gold one linked above. I took out most of what was inside the extra filter, however, and filled it with color changing dessicant. I think that is an important step because it allows me to see how wet the dessicant is getting. It takes at least 3 tank fills (15-20 minutes/run) for the dessicant to show much moisture. Then it gets changed. But these filters would probably not work if I did not arrange them vertically above the compressor and then vent it every 5 minutes. That lets water vapor flow back to the compressor where it gets vented. The filters thus do not have to collect as much.

I don't put anything on the line coming out of the SCBA tank. I've opened my guns and there was no moisture. I think the SCBA tank has only dry air. If I did not have good reason to believe the air was dry in my tank I would work on the filtration for the filling process. The aluminum liner of carbon fiber tanks will fail from moisture.

Filling guns takes less air than filling 66 cubic foot tanks. So there would be less moisture to get rid of. Regardless of the orientation smaller filters should work for gun filling.

I think the biggest CX compressor is rated to fill tanks but I also think it has more air filtration. I don't know any details about it. Adding a little more is probably a good thing, however when filling tanks. Might not be necessary for filling guns. Safe way to find out would be to put a filter with color changing dessicant on see if it changes color. A cruder way would be to put a filter with a fiber filter in it on the line and then squeeze that filter when you are done. If it isn't dry then you need a filter. If it is dry you probably do not.

Reactions: iamtheav8r
Knowing how I'm wired I will very likely want to fill a tank in short order (I've been looking at tanks for a few days now) With that in mind, what would you suggest?
I'd suggest a water cooled compressor that's, more or less, built with the aim of filling tanks. I've never owned a GX or any other portable because I never intended to fill guns, just top off tanks. My YH has done a great job for me for 3 years now but I treat it GENTLY!

Reactions: iamtheav8r
I have the exact same blue filter from amazon and mine has worked without blowing the burst disc....sounds like there are some faulty burst discs made for that filter. Have used it to fill my RAW to 240 bar and Prod to 2800psi. Luv that it came with an extra inside filter pre-loaded and one can purchase just pre-loaded ones. You do need to orient it a certain way to not blow the burst disc.

I have the exact same blue filter from amazon and mine has worked without blowing the burst disc....sounds like there are some faulty burst discs made for that filter. Have used it to fill my RAW to 240 bar and Prod to 2800psi. Luv that it came with an extra inside filter pre-loaded and one can purchase just pre-loaded ones. You do need to orient it a certain way to not blow the burst disc.
I think the people bursting discs are trying to go to 300 bar, at least that's what the reviews state. Thank you.

Reactions: Ranchibi