• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Water in Air Tanks

I’ve just ordered one of the Tuxing water/oil separators, and in the process it occurred to me… some moisture from the compressor is bound to make it’s way into my air tank even with a separator. Wouldn’t it make sense to keep the air cylinders upright so moisture goes to the bottom and air is released to the gun from the top? I’ve seen so many videos showing an air tank on its side, obviously the “easiest “ way to use it. This assumes you are filling bottles and not going directly from compressor to your gun. Thoughts?

Filters will werq correctly if they are upright. Not so much when they are on their side.

It really does not matter how your gun or tank is situated. If you do your filtration correctly you will not get moisture in your gun or tank.

How much and what type of filtration you need is dependent on the environment the compressor is in.

One of the small Yong Heng type filters hooked up between your filter and the tank or gun will let you know if you have enough filtration to keep the moisture out. If the little Hong Heng type filter gets even a bit damp you need more filtration.

One of the same filters before your main filter will allow you to keep much of the moisture out of your main filter. As you can change the Yong Heng filter out before the moisture gets in your main filter. Then dry and reuse the cotton filter

I've never had an issue but I like everybodys ideas to help make sure I do not. I use a Yong Heng tampon filter first then a smaller dessicant filter with color changing beads. I change the cotton piece after every tank fill. I bought 100 of the cotton pieces off AlliExpress and I noticed they seem to pick up a little oil too. In the winter this pre-filter is not noticably wet and the color change beads do not change color. I also open the bleed valve every 5 minutes or so when I think of it during a fill and it blows out water sometimes.

I have one of the big gold dessicant type filters too but have never installed it. It seems like overkill when the small one doesn't seem to be getting much moisture to it. I need to pay attention this summer and make sure I still feel the same way. Another reason I haven't installed it is it's height. I have my Yong Heng on the counter in a storage room off my garage. I put the filters above it so the water drains back to the compressor. A taller filter would challenge my air hose length. I'm thinking of rearranging things to gain counter space which may also allow me to use the gold filter. I do not need a big water tanks with my radiator and fans on the water so I may go to a 1 gallon container (Just enough to be sure the pump is always submerged) on the bottom, the compressor above that and then the filters above that. I should probably get busy and weld up a rack out of some scrap tubing and see how well it works.

Anyone here tried feeding the intake with shop air around 100 PSI? I was thinking of adding dried air before the compressor.

I think one If the members feeds his 12 volt compressor intake with a large nitrogen bottle.

But even air from a regular compressor can have water in the air fall out after being processed. I still have water out of my hand pump bleeder after I plumbed processed compressed air thru my hand pump. But no water coming out of my hpa water separators' bleed valve.

But I also think it would be harder for the compressor to work compressing anything higher than normal air pressure as my hand pumps have a hard time compressing more than 50 psi. Intake pressure without really increasing down stroke pressure. I think for sure it would shorten the useful life of a yong heng. 

Allen

I'm the guy feeding Nitrogen to my compressors Tuxing twin and GX CS2 , Lowv pressure N2 fed into intake on compressor.

If you never send oxgen and water into the compressor than you will never get water or Oxygen in your guns or compressor

The life is greatly extended by not having any Oxidizers in the system, no detonation no excess heat 

the n2 from the menbrane systems is not as dri but is better that atmosphere, those systems are also very high $$$ and high maint with the filters and membrane materials.

You will be much better served buying N2 from a local welding supply, most will let you rent a tank for about 10-12 bucks a month not including the gas which is around 15-20 $

depending on where you are. Better to buy a medium size and not rent the smaller 84cf or 155 cf are usually a good value in the $200 range.

3FA5FA20-4974-4FB7-96C9-FC2CDB4DFC20.1651036475.jpeg

Here’s my setup. YH to big filter, then YH original filter, then a small gold filter. Bleed every 3-5min from the big to YH 2nd bleeder valve. After filling 2 60min tanks. The YH cotton filter is not even damp or wet.