• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Water Damage From Improper Filling

I picked up a FX Impact MKII from a local guy who was finished with PCP's. He claimed his MKII reg pressure would fluctuate like crazy and the gun would never hold air. I took a look at the outside of the fill nipple and it was all corroded. I asked him what water separator he used and he told me he didn't have one. So ya, his gun was water damaged and he told me I could take it for $500.

Here's a pic of the fill nipple below. I'm sure the internals look the same.

20231203_023512.jpg

Good thing is I have enough orings to reseal an impact 50 times over and a barely used stock reg sitting in a box somewhere.

I’d have probably taken that deal too. I like projects. My locally bought Wildcat wasn’t abused, but came to me dirt cheap because its was not functioning correctly and the guy had lost the magazine. New o-rings on the reg body to stop the leak out of the bleed hole, and repositioning the barrel so that the transfer ports lined up was all it took to get it shooting. I half expected to find evidence of watery fills, but there was none and it’s holding air perfectly now. Cosmetically it’s 98% too.
Anyway, fix that MK2 up, fall in love with it, and sell me your M3. The “little” one. I love that thing.
;)

Reactions: swNCsw
Just boosting a 12 L bottle from 200 to 300 BAR i am amazed how much water accumulate in my compressors separator / filters.
I am pretty sure that if i was to fill a new bottle from 0 or from a low 2 digit BAR pressure, i for sure would want to bleed at least 1 time during the fill process.

And i am going to try that soon as i have gotten a 9 L carbon fiber bottle, just not big on starting my compressor in these current sub zero temperatures, also should i want to shoot my 12 L bottle is full to the brim.
BUT ! i am not shooting before daytime temps get over +10 deg C again, and really i would prefer even higher.

Just had snow storm here, and it is going to be sub zero all day for the next week it seem

Those shoebox compressors, they are not just plug and play, which many seem to think they are, at least i think most of them do not come with a proper filter / separator

Peashooter --=--
"Those shoebox compressors, they are not just plug and play, which many seem to think they are, at least i think most of them do not come with a proper filter / separator"
What makes you think that it was a Shoebox was used in the OP?
You are correct that they come with zero filters, it's a booster pump only, but that doesn't mean that they are a poor choice. Adding the proper pre and aft filters, they work very well....although slow.

Good lesson, recently newer member questioned importance of moisture control in PCPs, these kinds of threads remind everyone it's real, and needs to be taken seriously. Often wonder how many "mystery" PCP problems originate from owners consistently adding moisture to the system. WM
I’m the newer member that started the moisture thread, and yes, this is a great demonstration of the need for dry air. I am, however, thinking this story is not just about a little moisture, but more a case of abuse and neglect. Hopefully a reasonable amount of care will avoid a situation like this.

Right? 😎

Curt

Reactions: nobody1
I've been filtering on both ends of the compressor with great success. Here's a pic of my desiccant filter on the intake side fully saturated after 26 fills. The other pic is from the desiccant I poured out from my output line filter. It was almost completely dry due to the input filter removing most of the water,

PCP Filter.jpg

Here's the desiccant from the 7" output filter. It had a long way to go before it needed changing.

Desiccant.jpg

I've been filtering on both ends of the compressor with great success. Here's a pic of my desiccant filter on the intake side fully saturated after 26 fills. The other pic is from the desiccant I poured out from my output line filter. It was almost completely dry due to the input filter removing most of the water,

View attachment 422380

Here's the desiccant from the 7" output filter. It had a long way to go before it needed changing.

View attachment 422381
Yeah, I read the thread where you described your intake setup. Think I’m gonna do something similar.

Thanks,

Curt

View attachment 422380

View attachment 422381
I thought the molucair sleeve works better when its mounted vertical ??

I’m the newer member that started the moisture thread, and yes, this is a great demonstration of the need for dry air. I am, however, thinking this story is not just about a little moisture, but more a case of abuse and neglect. Hopefully a reasonable amount of care will avoid a situation like this.

Right? 😎

Curt
Couldn't recall who asked question, wouldn't have named names anyway. Hard to say in this case, moisture in airguns is a bad idea, previous owner might not have been aware, nor even cared. Every now and then one of these threads comes along as a reminder to use the cleanest, driest air possible, those who ignore, do so at their own peril. WM

Reactions: TheCurtster

View attachment 422380

View attachment 422381
Nobody needs a 2000 dollar squirt gun.

• Haha
Reactions: Gumby31
I've been filtering on both ends of the compressor
My grey goop between the ears have been down those lines too, but i was not quite sure it could be done or for that matter how to do it.
Of course not thinking so hard that i bothered to duckduck my questions.

So far i have regularly looked inside my rifles, most often the air reservoir, but in other cases also other places in the rifles, so far i have seen nothing that indicate water.
But i am also just getting started with my Chinese Coltri copy compressor, so plenty of room for failure in the future.