• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Water/Air Filter?

Ok guys so I’m learning a lot more than 3 months ago, about the principal of PCP’s and air itself. I’m here in Florida it’s not bad, heat wise right now, but you know that will change. My set up is a Yong Zheng compressor with one of the China gold filters. I have the system set up in my shed, probably won’t have ac but it is in the shade. So 2 questions. 1) Can someone advise me on a PMV that I’ll definitely be needing on this system where humidity is going to be very high? 2) I use a 3 liter tank so when the gauge states 310 bar that’s 4395 psi correct? So what’s it states on the compressor gauge is the same on my carbon fiber 4500 tank? Thanks I’ll appreciate the response 

Why do you think you need a PMV? A PMV is a pressure maintaining valve. It is primarily used by dive shops refilling scuba tanks with zero pressure in them. You can accomplish the same effect as a PMV by installing a one way foster check valve on the input side of your filter. That way you can open your tank and the residual pressure in it will pressurize your filter. When you start the compressor it won't start sending compressed air to the tank until it overcomes the pressure in the filter. Pressurized air in the filter is what makes the desiccant work properly. If your Gold filter only uses the tampon material instead of desiccant you don't need a PMV at all. If you do install a check valve at the entry point of your filter you need to be using a tank which has a bleed valve to allow you to dump the pressure in the filter after a fill. 

310 bar is 4500 psi, not 4395 psi. 300 bar is 4350 psi. 207 bar is 3000 psi.

Your compressor gauge and your tank gauge should read the same during a fill if the tank gauge valve is open and they are both properly calibrated.

Thanks to both of you) yeah I guess I didn’t do my homework properly. I’m out $91 hate buying a part I don’t need. I thought about what you both said it makes perfect sense. With the back pressure from the tank the filter gets pressure and is under the recommendation for the filter media to work properly, which I understand should be about 1800 psi. My 3 liter can only fill my BullBoss up to 2000, in the 3 liter tank so instant pmv right there. So why does my 3 liter tank gauge says 40 MPs? Is that 4500 psi? What should the gauge read on the tank so I can get my max fills? I’m supposed to get about 11 for a 230 cc resivour

Thanks to both of you) yeah I guess I didn’t do my homework properly. I’m out $91 hate buying a part I don’t need. I thought about what you both said it makes perfect sense. With the back pressure from the tank the filter gets pressure and is under the recommendation for the filter media to work properly, which I understand should be about 1800 psi. My 3 liter can only fill my BullBoss up to 2000, in the 3 liter tank so instant pmv right there. So why does my 3 liter tank gauge says 40 MPs? Is that 4500 psi? What should the gauge read on the tank so I can get my max fills? I’m supposed to get about 11 for a 230 cc resivour

Chopper61, here's a simple conversion table to know. All an MPa is is BAR divided by 10. So 310 bar is 31MPa or 4500 psi. I'm not sure if you mean your 3L tank gauge is calibrated UP to 40 mpa maximum or its showing 40 MPa. If the needle is on 40mpa it probably means you need a new gauge as it's horribly miscalibrated or broken. 40 MPa is 400 bar or 5801 psi. I doubt your tank has that much pressure in it or it would blow the burst disk.

Thanks Humdinger good info. Just like other newbies, carbon fiber tanks have come down in price from a year or 2 ago. This one is from China, via California didn’t realize it till a couple of days after ordering it. Says on the gauge max at 500 MPs, so wondering why would a 4500 psi tank at 3liter would gauge so high? Anyway I’m taking your advise not going above 310 bar, 300 even better, thanks this site is great!