Watch this Guy......

OP's only fault was being too trusting. And most people who are "too trusting" trust others because they, themselves, are trustworthy. Since they've never thought about screwing someone over, it doesn't really register that someone might do that to them. The guilt here is entirely with the seller.

IOWOLF, I hope you don't lose your faith in humanity. Most folks *are* good, and I've had some good experiences buying through the AGN classifieds, but we all take a risk, because those few, those miserable few, that ruin it for everyone else, are always there looking for a victim. Not your fault, and thank you for the heads up to others.

GsT
Amen!

Reactions: IOWOLF
So, in which ways would be best to protect yourself against scammers?

AI is getting to the point its harder to trust pic forms of verification, even when you ask them to write something specific on a piece of paper, and even then, the scammer might actually have the guns.
It kinda seems like the payment provider is the only way to protect yourself. It seems PayPal is one of the least trouble to work with should the sale fail to be delivered.
PayPal is terrible, I only use their invoice service, not PayPal themselves. Your CC is the one that will retrieve your money if scammed, not PayPal !! By using the invoice, the seller does not have your CC information !

When a seller says they will only accept "Paypal Friends and Family", what they are really saying is that they are dishonest, and are attempting to screw Paypal out of a 3% commision!

When a buyer pays a complete stranger with PPFF, they have zero protection.
Oh, really? I don’t need my money taxed extra by anyone. If the buyer wants G&S , then add the percentage. But when extra tax is assessed over 6 bills total annually! I’m not to thrilled. You don’t want to F&F me? Fine, you’re not obligated to buy, but calling me a deliberate cheat? Ah, no. That’s what the feedback score is there for. By all means research the seller, if not convinced- don’t buy! Simple enough.

Oh, really? I don’t need my money taxed extra by anyone. If the buyer wants G&S , then add the percentage. But when extra tax is assessed over 6 bills total annually! I’m not to thrilled. You don’t want to F&F me? Fine, you’re not obligated to buy, but calling me a deliberate cheat? Ah, no. That’s what the feedback score is there for. By all means research the seller, if not convinced- don’t buy! Simple enough.
Very well Said!

Reactions: Bowhunter73
Not according to Venmo. It's still in a state of we're trying to figure out how to really mess things up.
I wouldn't make that assumption. Venmo and paypal and the like were all associated together by the Gov't mandate, for lack of a better word, essentially, they are all given the same scutiny. Look up paypal and the new whatever, 1099 and it clearly states the new 600 rule which they said also simultaneously applies to venmo and the like. Please do not make the assumption this won't happen. My sincerest advice is to assume it is in effect from now on until a formal announcement rescinding these changes is made.

Last time I filed the over 600 in ebay sales there was an option on the tax forms to distinguish between if these were business sales or basically revenue generated through personal item sales. The tax is either not there or reduced for getting stuff out of your house vs. Buying and reselling for profit. Everything changes, it may not be that way now.