Watch & Discuss the new Gamo Swarm Maxxim!

Keith2324Can you de-cock the rifle in the traditional way.....that is to cock the gun, hold on to the barrel, and while holding the barrel firmly, pull the trigger and lightly return to barrel to it's fixed position?

Keith.

Nope, that doesn't work. It acts as if the safety is on when it isn't... can't break the trigger if the barrel is cocked and broken down.

"BeemanR7"As simple as it appears that one can remove the magazine and loading mechanism, that's all one would have to do to prevent double loading. Maybe I answered my own question.

I'm getting long in the tooth ....

If you cocked with a loaded magazine you can remove the magazine to prevent double loading, but there is a pellet in the barrel. You have to use a cleaning rod to push that out - or fire in a safe direction. The manual specifically warns about double cocking and tells you to use a cleaning rod to remove multiple pellets.

You can't remove the magazine when the barrel is "Broken" all the way because the pin from the mechanism is in the magazine. It may be possible when the barrel is bent just a little since the pin is not engaged yet. On the other hand, if you cocked the gun with an empty magazine then you can insert a new magazine and cock again to load a pellet.

When the barrel is part way down you can see if there is a pellet in the barrel. Useful if you did not pay attention and cocked and then see the little exclamation mark. Simiply break it part way and look. :) You can also move the loading mechanism up when the barrel is bent less than 45 degrees to insert a single pellet manually. Basically you can access the barrel with a partial bend but the loading pin engages somewhere above 45 degrees.

I already bought the .22 - would love to have a second for plinking in company, or a .177 for a lighter impact. The .22 is putting holes in the rusty wheel barrow pan that I have been using as a backstop at 25 yards. The first pellet dents it but after 20-30 shots the area behind my target is in shreds and nailed into the plywood backing.

I have not adjusted the trigger yet and am struggling to get the scope centered. My groupings are not great (at 25 Yds) but I do get some consistent groupings, then get distracted. At least most are in the 6 inch target - well, to one side of it really. The scope was way off left, then I got it too far right but now it does not seem to be moving left when I turn the adjustments. It seems adequate but I'm still struggling to get it centered and I think the horizontal adjustment may have stopped working - more testing tomorrow. 

I thought the Swarm came with Gamo's sliding anti-recoil mount but I don't see that the scope moves or how it would. The mount seems solid so I don't see what is moving. The gun does have a pretty good kick. The shoulder pad has 3 rubber inserts that I took out to soften the recoil. The cheeckpad is marginal. I wish they had the cheek pad that they put on the Gamo Maxxim Elite - the version of the Swarm only available in the UK.

"Ishkatan"
"Keith2324"Can you de-cock the rifle in the traditional way.....that is to cock the gun, hold on to the barrel, and while holding the barrel firmly, pull the trigger and lightly return to barrel to it's fixed position?

Keith.

The piston has to go forward... wouldn't that snap the barrel up? Sounds dangerous.

Indeed it would snap the barrel up, that's why you have to hold on to the barrel as you pull the trigger. But yes I do agree it can be very dangerous depending on whose doing it.

Keith.

I’ve been watching these rifles and now of course crosman has their version out with the repeating magazine. Frankly I think this is just a gimmick:) unnecessary complexity on a break barrel. I mean how much time do you really save? However I understand that to keep the market excited you must keep bringing something new to the table :) Personally I wouldn’t but this.