Watch & Discuss the Hatsan NeutronStar !!!

First I would like to suggest to all other reviewers that they follow Steve's manner of doing reviews of air rifles. He is obviously well invested in the proper cameras, etc. He is well prepared and does not pause to gather his thoughts for what he needs to tell us next. He brings the type of enthusiasm that many of his viewers have for our hobby/sport. Yet, he points out both the positive and negative aspects of the rifle he is reviewing. In regard to the Hatsan Neutron Star, he points out the weight of the rifle, its requiring more effort to cock than some other side cocking rifles, and that, without further adjustment of the hammer spring, it does not handle pellets very well beyond 25 yards.

Let me say that the rifle is a real beauty, with its nicely shaped Turkish walnut stock. But, beauty is as beauty does! This is the type of rifle that I have been looking for. While some may prefer a slender tube under their barrel, I much prefer the higher shot count (and often higher fill pressure) of a bottle gun. What is too often overlooked is the importance of a good trigger. In my powder burning days I had a custom made 22-250 that I used in both bench rest competition and for hunting groundhogs. I had been on my base high power rifle team when I was stationed in Texas while in the Air Force. The 22-250 had a Timney trigger. I noticed that when Steve pulled the trigger on the Neutron Star there was very little over-travel after pressing through the second stage. This is very important. Breath control and trigger squeeze. Shooting well is a very mental discipline.

Well, if I am fortunate enough to win, or later purchase the rifle and its auxiliary equipment, I will have to learn new skills. Not easy for an old man like me. But it will be a challenge. No more groundhogs at 200-300 yards! Once I settle on the right slug, I will only need that one for my groundhog hunting and perhaps a certain pellet or different slug for squirrels and rabbits. This will be much simpler (the only variable being the projectile (plus perhaps some adjustment of the hammer spring) than the almost endless combinations I had to experiment with in my hand loading for the 22-250.

Good luck to all who enter this contest. I have been learning a lot about these pcp air rifles through the various forums. I have hesitated in pursuing this sport due to the expense, but there has been much advancement in both rifles and projectiles over the last couple of years. As others have said, "It is a great time to be entering this sport."