• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WASH YOUR PELLETS AND SLUGS

Put them in a cup with warm water and soap,mix them up a bit with your finger the use a strainer to rinse. You are going to see alot of lead pieces like the one below .That wash take on the 3rd wash and rinse .When done dry them of and for with a very light coating of silicone.Spray of drops what ever you prefer,but do not over pil till there dripping .Just a nice light coat. What happen when you shoot the unclean it the pieces get left in the barrel after firing and the next round has to sqeeze over the ,this cause fliers.Your going to be shocked when you see how many fragments are on them.
IMG_20211129_110243.1638202320.jpg
IMG_20211129_110229.1638202333.jpg

MOD EDIT: MOVED TO PELLETS, PROJECTILES & SLUGS SECTION

Reactions: Dcorvino
It's something everyone should try even if they are getting respectable groups as well as trying sorting by size and weight. You just never know. It's part of the fun of airguns IMO. You may just find that "ah-ha" moment. 

However I've tried all of the washing, lubing, weighing, sizing, mojo sacrificing , incense burning, meditating, begging a higher power type of pellet preparation all to no avail. But that still doesn't mean a person shouldn't try it.

It could at least help the psychological aspect of shooting knowing you turned every stone.

In my experience, lubing pellets may be worthwhile in certain barrels. I've never seen a positive effect from washing. Even the old brown box Crosman, dirty as they are, shot fine for me out of the box. 

Ishot1kill, I believe you may be in error regarding the internal bore dynamics when shooting the dirtier pellets. I promise, when you encourage that pellet down the bore at 2,000 psi, there will be no loose particles left in the bore. 

I noticed the new H&N 18’s seem really dry, almost sticky. I have been dumping a tin into a towel and rolling them around like they are in a hammock, that seems to help get the loose stuff and flashing off, then into a large tin with a bit of silicone oil on the pads and a bit more rolling around. Definitely helps with lead buildup at the least. Kinda half-assed, but I feel better for the effort. 

Andrew, that has been my experience as well, in some barrels, in others it didn't seem to make a difference.

As far as "shooting through" fouling, I don't see that as consistently good advice. I admit, I have sometimes seen accuracy fall off, and then come back after only 4 or 5 shots. Other times, and more the norm, it only gets worse. I've never sat and shot more than 20 times or so to see what might ultimately occur, figure I can clean the barrel faster and without wasting pellets. I guess it might depend on where the fouling is located, quality of the bore finish, type of pellet, velocity, etc.