• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WARNING POSSIBLE SCAMMER ALERT SO NOBODY ELSE GETS POTENTIALLY SCAMMED

Report the fraud

There are any number of agencies to reprt it to

Alphabet org

Better Business Bureau

US Chamber of Commerce

Your State Attorney General

and by all means report him to the authorities in Vermont

Vermont Attorney General

Morgan Vermont Sherrif

Be absolutely relentless & report him to any & every agency you cn think of

You have already been told by him that you will ever see your money again

Your goal is to make his life miserable

and above all DO NOT THREATEN HIM

Keep the law on your side

Another idea

report him to Pay Pal

Because your transaction was Friends & Family does not mean they will not listen to your complaint.

If you (and anyone else who has been scammed by him & used Pay Pal) can convince them to look into his activities they may put the kabosh on his account,

That might force him to request USPS Money Order in payment, which is one of the signs of a scam.

Hope this helps

BTW

Pay Pal may listen, and take action

However they will not tell you that they have done so

Sorry to say the police won’t really be able to help you. You can give it a shot and call, but as a LEO, if I were sent to that call I’d apologize and tell the complainant that it was a civil matter and he’d need to seek counsel with an attorney. Here’s why, an agreement was made, compensation for a product/service/whatever was delivered, the product/service wasn’t delivered/provided. The details of the transaction are irrelevant because it’s a private matter. Let’s say a LEO does take the case and the matter goes to court. The LEO is going to get subpoenaed to court, and lo and behold most agencies don’t pay their officers for civil court matters. So the LEO knows this and doesn’t want to be sitting in civil court for hours on end with no compensation. I’ve been subpoenaed for civil matters (mostly family dispute) in the past and have asked the attorney that’d subpoenaed me if they were going to compensate me for my representation, some have agreed and paid, others had a GTFOH attitude to which I responded that I couldn’t recall details and ask if they’d actually read my report.

My advice to you is call the local authorities and see if they’ll swing by his place, it’s worth a shot, but be prepared to end up calling counsel. It’s going to be tough (and expensive) if you live in different states.

This is a really crappy situation and I wish there was a way to make it so it doesn’t happen again. Maybe someone at PayPal or whatever can set up a sort of money holding area whereas the payee submits the funds, it’s in a sort of “purgatory” till the payee receives his item and then releases it, or even better corroborate with a delivery service (ups/usps) where the item is scanned as delivered it initiates the release of the funds, kind of like how they send you a “delivered to mailbox” email when your stuff arrives.

Sorry to say the police won’t really be able to help you. You can give it a shot and call, but as a LEO, if I were sent to that call I’d apologize and tell the complainant that it was a civil matter and he’d need to seek counsel with an attorney. Here’s why, an agreement was made, compensation for a product/service/whatever was delivered, the product/service wasn’t delivered/provided. The details of the transaction are irrelevant because it’s a private matter. Let’s say a LEO does take the case and the matter goes to court. The LEO is going to get subpoenaed to court, and lo and behold most agencies don’t pay their officers for civil court matters. So the LEO knows this and doesn’t want to be sitting in civil court for hours on end with no compensation. I’ve been subpoenaed for civil matters (mostly family dispute) in the past and have asked the attorney that’d subpoenaed me if they were going to compensate me for my representation, some have agreed and paid, others had a GTFOH attitude to which I responded that I couldn’t recall details and ask if they’d actually read my report.

My advice to you is call the local authorities and see if they’ll swing by his place, it’s worth a shot, but be prepared to end up calling counsel. It’s going to be tough (and expensive) if you live in different states.

This is a really crappy situation and I wish there was a way to make it so it doesn’t happen again. Maybe someone at PayPal or whatever can set up a sort of money holding area whereas the payee submits the funds, it’s in a sort of “purgatory” till the payee receives his item and then releases it, or even better corroborate with a delivery service (ups/usps) where the item is scanned as delivered it initiates the release of the funds, kind of like how they send you a “delivered to mailbox” email when your stuff arrives.

Yeah, an escrow would be ideal in that type of situation. The potential abuse just shifts to the buyer / receiver - however, PayPal already has a simple solution to these types of problems: the Buy Item option. That of course equates to an additional 3% "insurance" fee that ends up in the lap of the purchaser.

I am not trying to be a jerk BUT did sending money to a complete stranger over the internet by Friends and Family (No protection) to save 3% really seem like a good idea? 

If you send money friends and family you can't complain. You tried to cheat the system.

I agree that F&F for a purchase cheats Pay Pal

However many sellers specify F&F

What I do, without even advising the seller in advance, is send the money as a purchase including the (2.9% + $0.30) Pay Pal fee

Along with the payment I send a note advising the seller of what I've done and showing the arithmetic of calculating the fee

This make the transaction a purchase which is covered by PP protections

So far, no sellers have taken issue with this

If they did, I'd probably cancel the transaction

Try it

You may like it

Ed

I am not trying to be a jerk BUT did sending money to a complete stranger over the internet by Friends and Family (No protection) to save 3% really seem like a good idea? 

If you send money friends and family you can't complain. You tried to cheat the system.

AGAIN!!! He did not send PayPal F&F, so get off your soap box!

He intentionally did not when the seller asked him to. The seller would not take PayPal Goods and Services, and he chose to go with Money Orders. 

You are right. That was a great transaction.

Nobody said it was a great transaction, just no reason to hear all the crap about cheating the system. Only person cheated here was the buyer, so I don't want to see people telling him how he cheated and got what he deserved. That is nonsense. Nothing to do with this situation, and that crap can be saved for another thread.