Western Airguns Warning in max preassure in bottle with sidewinder .30

When my Sidewinder arrived it was shooting JSB 44.7 grain at 80 fpe. That was with regulator set at 140 bar.

I was happy.

Later on I decided to fill the bottle below the 300 bar advertised as maximum, but above 250 bar. I went to 275 bar.

Then I decided to try lower power and went to 630 fps. Then I tried to give it back to 80 fpe..... And did not went up above 820 fps !!!!

Yesterday I decided to bring a little bit up the regulator to 165 bar. I got only 828 fps..... No matter how much I tried to adjust it. I return it to the 828 fps.

This morning with the bottle got to 250 bar, the rifle gave me 975 fps.....

My conclusion: the valve gets partially locked with preassure on that bottle above 250 bar. That is confirmed to happen on my Vulcan 3 .30 Cal.

So..... Better not to fill the bottle of the sidewinder.30 Cal above 250 bar.

Interesting. I routinely fill my .22 Sidewinder to 275 bar with no issues or changes in performance . . .

I'd be interested if you saw anything different on your regulated air pressure gauge at the higher fill pressure - that is the pressure that the firing valve sees, so that is the only way it could lead to a bit of valve lock - it has no idea what the bottle pressure is, as long as the bottle pressure is above the regulator set point.

Mine is usually set to shoot JSB 25.4s at ~940 fps, so on the high power side of things (at least for a .22). I've also tried it some with JSB Beasts (34 grain) at about the same speed with no issues, regardless of fill pressure level above the reg set point.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I do not have changes in fps with my Sidewinder .25 above 250 bar on the bottle.

Nor with my Vulcan 3 .177 Cal above 250 bar on the bottle….

But look at what Talon Tunes says about pressure on bottle on Vulcan 3 700 mm….. figures are at 250 fill pressure:

IMG_3239.png