• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

WARNING: DO NOT SHOOT!

"Tominco"I want to start this thread for the new airgunners that are shooting different targets to test their skill and accuracy. There are some things you just do NOT want to use as targets.
Please add your experiences and any alternatives that might work. Please type the bad things in "BOLD" with all capital letters if possible. 

GOLF BALLS - They will ricochet the pellet right back at you! I've learned this the hard way. I've seen, for sale, golf style whiffle balls made from plastic with holes in them. I've also seen practice foam type golf balls as well.

TANNERITE - it doesn't work and you'll waste your money. If you want a "poof" try chalk. It's much less expensive and it will get harder to shoot the pieces as they get smaller. If you want a "bang" try those things that go onto soda bottles to pressurize them. I'm sure someone has the link for where to get those and will post it.

Happy Safe Shoting!
Actually Bud... Tannerite works pretty well as long as you use the Rimfire type. :)

Reactions: plinker
"TDK"
"Tominco"GOLF BALLS - They will ricochet the pellet right back at you! I've learned this the hard way. I've seen, for sale, golf style whiffle balls made from plastic with holes in them. I've also seen practice foam type golf balls as well. 

Just to clarify for others, the soft foam golf balls are ideal, safe targets. I even made a safe indoor reactive target by suspending one in front of a rubber mulch trap. The only catch is that you'll end up with tiny yellow core-samples to clean up afterwards. :)
Very true! I've got a bunch of them out in the range. They work nice because they move around and you have to adjust for distance. :)

"redryder"Glass of any kind, just because we see this in the movies doesn't make it OK. Broken bottles can and have caused fires via sun refraction and it hurts to step on the glass shards.

When we go out to our favorite shooting area in the forest and find broken bottles it just leaves us with a nasty taste.
Excellent point!! Thank you. I have never been in the habit of shooting glass, but also, I have never considered the refraction angle as a source of ignition. I should imagine this is the source of more fires than we would care to admit.