• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WAR "NBH" for Marauder - thoughts?

I see on the Wicked Air Rifles site they sell a "No Bounce Hammer" for the Marauder. From the site:

The NBH Or No Bounce Hammer Is A Device That Replaces The Hammer In A 177/22/25 Cal. Benjamin Marauder PCP Air Rifle, It Almost Completely Eliminates Wasted Air And Noise Associated With Hammer Bounce. When Installed We See 15% More Shots And A Huge Reduction In The Report Out Of The Barrel, Its Almost Unbelievable!!! I Can't Think Of No Better Mod For Any Marauder Air Rifle At This Time.

Has anyone tried one of these? What are your results/thoughts?

Havnet personally tried one, did follow them when introduced.
The link cigar posted is for a different , gizzzzmo, ( which seems better than what the war hammer did) , and several folks make such a gizmo so you'd really need to search around for info or make your own.
Some of (of) the first war hammer had issues cause binding and/or wearing of parts - just what I read several places- it was re-designed and no seems to have been dropped as it has been out of stock for a good long while. Google might get you a decent amount of information, but you'll need to buy used if you want one.
The other approach of the no pre-load on hammer spring device seems to provide MUCH better results than the war hammer did and there are competing models of that device.

I simply used the "b-staley" ( sp) o-ring mod in my marauder and while it took a good bit of time adjusting, and you need to lock things down with vibratite or such it does work very very well, in the marauder, the 1720T and most with adjustable pip's on the hammer. I went from a 100fps spread from 3,000psi in 20 shots ( YIKES no wonder the guy wanted to sell it so fast) to a 24fps ES using 2,750psi for 30 shots. Likely could have tweeked it a bit better and the cost was $0.00 as Ace Hardware didn't chanrgte me for the 3 O-rings.

John

I think that Travis quit making the WAR hammer because the SSG worked so much better. The SSG can be made in house with little effort if you have an time and the right tools. I had neither so I bought one. If you use your current components it can be done for about $10 in materials from a hardware store. AJShoots can probably also give you some good advice about it as well.

Travis seems to be really busy with the Flex, Warp and A*** . Whoops sorry Travis :). My perception is Travis and Jim have made it apparent for some time now that their goal, vision was and is to produce "Air Guns" which it appears they are doing really well at. I have some of their products but do not have one of their Airguns, probably will at some point in time though, Dang, I do believe I need to just shut the heck up tonight. Peace and Love everybody!

I have 3 NBH's and really can't confirm that they work or not? Originally Travis had stated that the NBH was not needed for 60fpe and above. I have used them in guns ranging from 48fpe-100fpe and they don't work in those power ranges. This was confirmed by switching to stock hammers from the NBH and seeing zero difference. Maybe they work in the lower power ranges?

This same thing can however be said for the SSG's as well. I can confirm that the SSG works amazing at stock and slightly above power levels for my wife's .177 but did nothing for both a .25 and .30 ranging from 70-80fpe.

The reason that both the NBH and SSG don't work above certain power levels is due to the use of heavy hammer springs that are needed to make power. The heavy springs themselves all but eliminate bounce.

The above is just my experiences with hammer debounce devices. To be clear, I don't have a WAR SSG, I made mine myself but expect the results of a WAR SSG or FFH made by Steve in NC to be very similar to my homemade piece.

I can attest that the NBH, at least in my .177, did increase my rifle's efficiency and added 15-20% to the shot count. I'm not the best "tuner" though, so it took me a while and a bunch of pellets to get it set up. Shortly after Travis developed the SSG for the Marauder he joked that it could put him out of the tuning business because they were so much easier to set up and produced better results than the NBH.

I think I read something where Travis said the NBH is still good for high fpe applications like the Marauder .25/80fpe guns, but stock configuration the SSG is the way to go. Other forum posts I have read seem to concur. 

A lot of guys build their own SSG, I think the novelty of the WAR design is that the entire mechanism remains internal to the gun, so there are no "gotcha" parts sticking out the back. 

He's working on an SSG for the Disco, and I can imagine (but haven't seen it stated anywhere) that this could also trickle into a Prod version. 

OK, sounds like I should just "pass" on the NBH.

I've got my Marauder shooting well, but only 15-18 decent shots with a 2,900psi start (on my gun's gauge) and velocity spread is fairly high. Accuracy is pretty much 1 hole at 25 yards but opens way up to about 1 1/2" at 50 yards, which was disappointing. I do suspect my gun's gauge may be reading very low (like 500psi+ low). I'm going to have to figure out a replacement and see if I've been just working/tuning with a low pressure fill and so maybe not getting the most from my gun.

Can anyone recommend a source for a turn in replacement air gauge for a gen 1 Marauder? I'd prefer a gauge the same size as the Crosman OEM, and not have to alter the stock.

I own a WAR modified Marauder with a carbon fiber tank, regulator, and the SSG (anti-hammer-bounce-device). Using JBS Kings, the gun shoots at 870 FPS ±4 FPS for about 25 shots when the pressure in the carbon fiber tank drops to ≈ 2,100 PSI. At 50 yards (if I do my part) it will put 10 pellets into on ragged hole you can almost cover with a dime! 

"Alan"I own a WAR modified Marauder with a carbon fiber tank, regulator, and the SSG (anti-hammer-bounce-device). Using JBS Kings, the gun shoots at 870 FPS ±4 FPS for about 25 shots when the pressure in the carbon fiber tank drops to ≈ 2,100 PSI. At 50 yards (if I do my part) it will put 10 pellets into on ragged hole you can almost cover with a dime!
WOW! Sounds like a very sweet setup, Alan.

I added a small pressure valve to my tank fill system and have confirmed the gauge on my Marauder is reading approximately 800psi low. Which means all this time I've been filling to about 2000psi and shooting down to maybe 1,000psi. I've got the gun tuned for that and I guess I'll be "back to the drawing board" with tuning once my replacement gun gauge arrives from WAR. But, I had fun tuning, have a much better idea just what the heck I'm doing now, and should end up better off at the end! At least now I know I have a pretty decent tune for a very low pressure fill. LOL

Baron

I own a Gen 1 Marauder and the gauge went bad on me almost 6 months out of warranty. It had progressively been getting worse and worse for about a year. Crosman sent me a new one free of charge. Seems they got a bad batch and made it good. The new one reads very close to the gauge on my Tiger Shark tank. If you call they will ask for the serial number of the gun. Recently I have been a little tough on Crosman but I appreciate a company that stands behind their product.