• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning wanting to upgrade my 2240

well iv had my 2240 for about 2 years now and its still completely stock minus the stock that I bout with it, that needs to change real soon...

So I have a few ideas about what I wanna start with and here they are---- # 1.Want to be done with co2 all together since I got my pcp hand pump for my maximjs, but not sure if I should go with a HiPac kit since it seems cheap enough @ 115 bucks for the biggest tube that's sounds easier and cheaper to me, But on the other hand I dont think I would mind converting it to take a tank under the barrel, but then I would have to get a HPA tank and from what I know anyway them tanks aren't cheap, and it seems to be more complicated to me... Like I saw a few people that said the HiPac wasn't safe and that one of them blew up any thoughts?

# 2. New barrel for sure probably the 14.6 inch from pyramid, bc its cheap and I plan on getting a few other things from them... is 14.6"long enough or should I do a 16"or18" inch barrel

# 3. Crosman steel breech kit so I can mount a scope

And last on the list is another barrel band while I'm at it... any ideas at all on anything? expecially the HiPac vs HPA Adapter?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, any help is appreciated

Be very careful with HIGH PRESSURE AIR CONVERSIONS WITH THE HIPAC...

PLEASE TRY NOT TO DIE OR GET MAIMED FOR LIFE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE LOVED ONES TO TAKE CARE OF AND SUPPORT UNLESS YOU GOT REALLY GOOD LIFE INSURANCE... (THEN THEY ALL BE HAPPY)

IF YOU ARE SINGLE AND NOBODY TO CARE FOR THEN BY ALL MEANS...

I had a 2 million life insurance on the ex... (HAD BUT SHE STILL ALIVE)

EXAMPLE...

https://youtu.be/ilM7gHYI0x8

Get the regulated drop block with 1800psi burst disk between the reg and tube and Cothran tube with the heavy duty valve pins for HPA at minimum.

14" barrel and steel breech is good.

Bear in mind that failure part on video that blew up and went through the guys leg uses the co2 stock Crosman tube at only filled to 1800-2000psi and it's pointed right at your face whenever you shoot it. Think long hard about it...Imagine...

Co2 guns are normally rated for pressures between 800-1200psi. Even Air Venturi HPA conversions only go up to 1100psi max.

I have never used a Hipac unit and the guy in the video did not secure his valve properly. He only had the single stock #6 screw holding his valve in and then he bulked his gun. So the screw sheared and that is why he ended up with the valve shooting out of the tube and going all the way through his thigh!! He also did not install the Hipac unit correctly and pressurized the tube behind the Hipac which is not a recommended procedure. He used other poor and dangerous ideas in his builds as well. Research things well before you do them as high pressures are very dangerous! I am glad to see this video has been left up to warn others of the dangers of HPA.

Are the Hipac units safe? I can’t really say as I have never had one but I have only heard of a couple of problems with them over many years and this was one.

One of the easiest ways to bulk a 2240 is to get a 2250 tube or a shortened Discovery tube and go from there.

The 2240 tube will need to be drilled for three #8 grade 8 screws to hold the valve once it is bulked. You can use the stock screw hole for one of them. It’s easiest to have the valve installed when drilling so you match the holes up. You can drill slightly through the tube and into the brass valve to mark it then remove the valve and drill and tap it to the correct size. Then drill your tube out to the size of the head of the screws you are using.

If you use the shortened Discovery tube you can get a Discovery valve and then you don’t need to do any drilling.

Next up is the bulk kit. I get mine from Baker Airguns although I expect others have them as well.

Yes, the 14 inch barrel and metal breeches are both a big plus for these pistols.

Here are a few links to help you out.

https://www.bakerairguns.com/shop/parts/modification-parts/

https://thegreencrosmanforum.proboards.com/thread/73/22xx-valve-retention-posted-section

https://thegreencrosmanforum.proboards.com/thread/102/port-diy-power-mod-archives

https://thegreencrosmanforum.proboards.com/thread/97/power-mods-valve-saved-archives

People will argue with me on this but a steel breech, Long one, should be the first priority. You can get one of those fancy multi shot ones if that’s the direction you want. I chose a standard long. Steel breech. With a 18 inch barrel I was shooting at 550fps. I had crazy good accuracy with JSB Stratton and any pointed pellets out to 20 yards then the accuracy would fall off a bit. Still could hit targets easily out to 40. I don’t know the name of the kit I used to tether it to bulk CO2 but I wouldn’t do it any other way. It had a device I put into the tube and then a different screw on device that connected directly to the tank. 

Hate to be a voice of discouragement but a Marauder pistol is probably a cheaper route to go than converting a 2240 to HPA. Plus the Prod is multi shot and has a better trigger. And the Prod with it’s 3K psi fill will net you more shoots per fill and it’s very hand pump friendly. 
In today’s world the HiPaks just don’t make a whole lot of sense to me. There’s time and hassles in properly pinning the valve and the cost to convert a 2240 to HPA can get rather expensive compared to some readily available options. 
I do however understand the desire to modify these guns. There’s the pride and sense of accomplishment taking an idea and making it a reality. So I do get it. To me a converted 2240 with HiPak and steel breech is just a short barreled Maximus that costs more than a Maximus does in the end. So if I just had to do it I’d probably do a bottle conversion to a 2240 before I’d buy a HiPak. At least with a bottle you can get a lot more shoots per fill and it would be something a little more unique from something you already have. Just my two pennies worth of reasoning

What MileHigh said X2. I've been down the modified path numerous times. It's fun, it's expensive, but you can build some great shooting guns. I also own a Marauder Pistol. It's by far the cheapest way to get to where you'll wind up anyways and it's a fantastic little gun when in carbine form. TKO makes a tube stock for it so you can ditch the Crosman stock. It's threaded so you can take it off, stick the whole thing in a small backpack and it's super portable. 2k-3k on a hand pump was like 75 strokes IIRC. It's been a few years since I hand pumped anything though....