Wanting to buy a compressor

Get a yong heng, just make sure to get from a reputable source. There are many knock offs. I got mine from ebay from a seller with something like 50,000 transactions on their account.

Make sure to use proper high pressure compressor oil. Do a proper break in. Do not exceed 15min of run time. Do not start or stop the pump under pressure. Do not exceed 60 degrees C. Should last a very long time. Parts are cheap and easy to find, and are easy to work on.

FYI, this is probably the most widely used compressor among airgunners. For a good reason. 

I was in the same position and owned hand pumps. Great workout but my Huben K1 at 4500 psi was more exercise than I wanted. Your going to get a lot of options suggested. 1st item is your budget. 2nd is use...portable or fixed? Reliable is a matter of opinion only as even a Bauer can and has failed under warranty. For me, while I don't want to be a compressor repair guy, as a retired engineer I won't shy away from disassembly and repair. So, for me, after hours of back and forth, I decided on a twin cylinder Tuxing. Repair parts are available, and the design with integral cooling makes sense to me. Regardless, oil free units serve a purpose but will most likely last a year or so with proper maintenance. Oil/cooled units like Tuxing or Yong Heng can and do last longer but very important to maintain with proper oil. Never expect a trouble-free unit, or you will be disappointed. Good luck with your search.

I've gone through a few compressors (though never a Yong Heng) but the 2 which stand out to me based on personal experience are:

1) Benjamin ReCharge - This compressor is a pretty quick filler, and was my main compressor at home for a while. Can fill bottles or direct to guns. So far in about 2 years of use it remains running strong. Not the quietest, but it works. I did some early oil changes at a high frequency, but now that I've filled it with synthetic SecoLube oil I'm onto 10 hour oil change cycles. I can't tell whether there has been a price increase on these (I've seen some places listing them for $1,500 - $1,799 - which is pretty high for this unit), but for the $1,200 I paid for it, it was a good deal. Since I replaced it as my home compressor, it is currently serving us (about 10 shooters) up at the Cowboy range.

2) Omega TurboCharger - This unit has replaced the ReCharge at home and has been fantastic. Much quieter, quicker fill, better for filling SCBA bottles since it has auto moisture purge. Has not skipped a beat in over a year of use. It also serves the same 10 or so shooters who come to my house for weekly airgun shoots. This is a more expensive unit in the $2k range, but its design and construction quality show. I heard that 2 things which the Omega compressors like/don't like for longevity are: 1) They like to be run frequently, minimally at least every couple of weeks or some of their o-rings can flatten; and 2) DON'T OVERUSE THE GREASE INJECTOR POTS. They only need lubrication every 6-8 hours (a red light comes on) and the pots only need 1 click of turning. I've heard of stories where owners subscribed to the 'more lube is better' attitude, and non-functioning compressors are returned with grease all over the place internally. These seem to have had a price bump (like everything else) recently, but some shops still seem to be selling for the older price ($2,199 plus ship. I bought mine through Palm Beach Airguns as they seem to have them in stock more frequently than other shops).

There are a couple of main schools of thought on compressors: Buy less expensive units which will need a lot of regular maintenance and may be seen as disposable after a couple of years, or 'buy once, cry once' and spend the bucks on a quality unit up front. I've spent enough so far on multiple compressors that I could have spent less by just buying an Alkin up front. Live and learn. But I didn't realize early on how hard I would be bitten by the air gun bug.

I just bought this omega 2 weeks ago i have been using a shoebox which is slow but steady i like this new one so far i like it hopefully i will get some god use out of it i have 65 hours on the shoebox the new one only has an hour its fast

thumbnail 2.1648741507.jpg

From what I have gathered over the years the Omega line is a decent line of compressor. They are quieter and can be run for longer than a Yong Heng.

Durability wise they most often last about about same length of time as a Yong Heng that is taken care of.

The Yong Hengs need some ice in the water reservoir and a fan blown through the back to be able to fill the larger tanks from empty and you may still have to do it in two sessions.

You will pay five times as much for a Hill or an Omega so your air fill cost five times as much as well which means little to some and much to others.

So, in the end, they both have their place in the compressor market.

@Brettl If you're a shooter gather as much information as you can muster and based upon this information I suggest buying the best that you can afford. By a "shooter" I mean that shooting is something that you have been doing before airguns, you really like it, and you have already invested a few grand on airguns, scopes, and other shooting accessories. If this description fits, consider purchasing a quality compressor with maintenance, a proven track record, and resale value in mind. @TMH makes a good point as a member having a few years experience with a couple of mid-level compressors. With HPA compressors a person's budget seems to be one of, if not the largest, determining factor that swings a consumer in one direction or the other. Ultimately the decision is yours to make.

Great white is 9 litre same as my Scott tank. YH takes under 15min to top off from 170 bar to 250. There's a difference between having money to spend and not needing to spend it. I have at least 12 grand in just airgun equipment currently. I have many other expensive hobbies. Unless filling multiple tanks a week or filling to 4500, I see no need for these more expensive units.

I have 1,000s spent in Airguns and scopes and only shoot in warm weather so what you’re recommending (YH) seems to make sense. I’m not a heavy user of air either only shooting on weekends. I only take my tank down to 3000 psi / 200 bar before refilling. It’s just such a pain to fill my tank I have to travel 45 minutes each way. 

so which YH model do you suggest? Supplier also please.. Amazon seems to have many of these type of units….

Get a yong heng, just make sure to get from a reputable source. There are many knock offs. I got mine from ebay from a seller with something like 50,000 transactions on their account.

Make sure to use proper high pressure compressor oil. Do a proper break in. Do not exceed 15min of run time. Do not start or stop the pump under pressure. Do not exceed 60 degrees C. Should last a very long time. Parts are cheap and easy to find, and are easy to work on.

FYI, this is probably the most widely used compressor among airgunners. For a good reason.

Which YH model do you suggest and which supplier? Link would be appreciated 

This is the one I have. Good price and good seller. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254869818415?epid=23048840618&hash=item3b576ccc2f:g:bcAAAOSwisRf4crg

They have auto shutoff models, but Im just not fond of the Idea of leaving it alone. I check mine a couple times to make sure the temp is good, pressure is building normally, ect. Sometimes I don't tighten down the bleed valve on this that or the other enough. So, pressure stops building till I close the valve.

Only thing you'll likely need to replace at some point is the pressure gauge. I have a liquid filled one. About $30 with the adapter needed. Prices have gone up, though. Might be able to find the adapter cheaper. 

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9235-10-04-m10x10-metric-male-x-14-nptf-female.html

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/AFC-6M-25.html

20220102_145322.1648767726.jpg

I added a water/oil seperator to mine​​​​​​. It's honestly overkill and makes the fill time longer. But still runs pretty quick. The yong heng actually has a small one built into it (silver thingy on left side with hard lines running in/out). It's good for use in relatively low humidity. If using outside you may need a molecular seive (dessicant) or something like this if humidity is moderate or high.