Wanted .25 vs .30 cal (Hunting) comparison

Just my 2 cebts...I've owned almost everything alot there including daystate wolverine 303 highlite and the fx boss. My personal preference is a tm1000 not the 1000x in 25 caliber. ilcall Martin at raw and have him make a rifle in 25 cal specific to what YOU want to hunt. They are very user friendly and accuracy is right there with the other top brands.

.25 vs .30 cal - I know this feeling well. I have a .25 regulated FX Royale 500. Great rifle, no complaints, very accurate. My longest distance has only been 100 yards and I'm pleased with the results. I don't hunt any more, but still do a lot of shooting at my gun club. Since I'm retired now, Wednesdays are my range days. I usually take my .17 HMR and the Royale and switch between the two. So about 3 months ago, I started getting the itch for something new. I was looking at the FX Boss but just wanted something different and then discovered the big bores. Even though I haven't shot one yet, I'm hooked on the .257 cal. It just barely make it into the big bore class, but it is there. There are a lot of write ups and videos on the net about the .257 that made me decide to go this route. My rifle is currently being made as I write this. I hope to have it in mid January. It will be shooting a 90 grain and 103 grain bullet. Which ever one shows the best accuracy is what I'll stay with. I plan on shooting out to 400 to 500 yards. This is not the popular Air Force rifle that so many are using, but it looks more like a conventional style of hunting rifle. I plan on doing a review on it after I do some testing.

Dave,

Not sure you said what you wanted to hit at out to 100 yards or where that 100 yards was but here is my two cents. I have a .177 Daystate Wolverine B in 30lbs and up to 50 yards (no wind) it's a rough one hole with Exacts or Hunters. I have a wooded property and use that out to about 50 yards. Yea, I can hit things farther out, but I don't do it. It's my favorite chipmunk rifle. It's very quiet - one hears the valve open (clink) - then the whack of the pellet hitting the target. I can shoot it with neighbors in their yard and they don't know. I have it up for sale as I stepped up to the below gun.

I also have an .22 Daystate AirWolf MCT in 40 lbs which I prefer if I'm in the field vs shooting from in the house into the back yard (also a one hole gun). I'll use that out to the end of my property which is 85 yards and it's accurate to 100 yards with Exacts, Hunters, and strangely Terminators. Clean kills on birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc with head shots and heart/lung shots. And after seeing what happens to trees/fence posts and 5 inch diameter candles at that distance I'm sure a coon or possum headshot would work too. It's even quieter than the Wolverine as the trigger is fully electronic. One pulls the trigger, hears a 'pffft' and the loudest noise is pellet hitting prey/target

I don't 'need' more but did want to play with .25 and .30 so have an FX Impact on order with the 25 and 30 barrels. It will wear the 30 barrel most of the time, but I wanted to target shoot with both to see how they did. I don't think either of those will be backyard friendly, but for the price of the base gun plus $350 I have both a 25 and 30 platform (and a gun in each standard caliber).

Comparison of .25 an .30 

.25 = Dead

.30 = Really Dead

in my personal experience, .25 bucks wind pretty good, .30 does it better. .25 has better accuracy in my opinion. .30 has a ton of FPE vs .25. Also, the .30 has a POI curve that of tossing a river rock up and catching it in your hand. It’s abrupt. They tend to travel slower than a .25

Now, all that info changes a bit when you move onto slugs. Better BC means better CONSISTENT accuracy, and Longer ranges achieved. 

Pellets = $

Slugs = $$

also, dear lord, dropping that kind of cash, you literally could get almost anything on the market. Do some shopping bro. Don’t be shy of our amazing classifieds.

hope this helped

I’ve found that anything .25 can do, .30 can do better. Even shot count is very similar. My go-to small game rig is a .25 Cricket, but I’d love it more in .30..

I became a believer in .30 cal during a long .25 Vs .30 conversation with Martin from RAW. Bought a .30 RAW 2 years ago and it still blows my mind. The Cricket sees more action, as I have no trouble dragging it around in the woods, and the power is more than adequate for pesting and medium range small game. 

As for .30 cal and limited ammo? Show me a .30 cal that doesn’t shoot the 44.75 JSB! 

IMO, there is no compromise in choosing .30 over .25, especially if we’re talking about hunting rigs. 

As for me, I have a .30 cal American Air Arms EVOL TAC on order (AAA believes .25 is a waste of time) I can enjoy the accuracy and energy dump of .30, in a bomb proof rig that I won’t hesitate to take out in the rain, snow, etc. It’ll become my primary hunting rig. Another gun I’ve really be looking at closely is the AGT Vulcan in .30, but I decided to hold out and spend a few hundred more for the EVOL and it’ll be worth every penny. 

Brian