• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Want to Scare Deer off

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you plan on doing to them with an airgun to scare them off? Hopefully you don't mean shooting them. This will injure the deer and it is unlawful. How big is your property? Is it fenced in and why do you want them gone? Eating flowers etc...? If your property is big enough you can get a nuisance permit and hunt them with a gun. Or bow if neighbors are close by and donate the meat if you don't want it. They also sell deterrents at big box stores like lowes and Home depot to spray on plants. Motion detector sprinklers can work also.

OP, air powered rifles are more lethal than one would think. When I first got into the airgun scene, I had spent my whole life shooting firearms (still do), and underestimated the damage a pellet can do. I did some of my own experimentation shooting at different items, and was surprised at my results. Don't use anything that will injure the animal....unethical and probably illegal. I would find something that would scare them off from being set off my motion sensors, there has got to be something out there to use. If not, being as though it is almost the 4th of July, buy a brick of firecrackers and just whip one of those suckers out there.

There are better ways to keep deer away then shooting anything at them be it airsoft or whatever. Buy some bars of Irish Spring soap and shave the bars with a cheese grater or such and sprinkle that around the property or flowers or garden that will change thier daily pattern,old dirty socks work also, these are just a couple ways to get deer to not go on property....It does work....

Reactions: scrane
You have all missed the point.....
I have many acres with hundreds of plants
Repellent works somewhat but rain washes it off
I throw rocks at them and chase them but they come right back.
Paint ball no way it would work, same for noise
I need something powerful
Does anyone have experience with these "gas piston" guns?
Are they better than springs?
I am thinking of a .22, possibly the Gamo mach 1
Any comments on the Gamo would be appreciated
Thanks

Any shooting with small bore pellets is considered hunting with an illegal weapon and possibly out of season. In addition wounding an animal is highly frowned upon by the entire airgun community as well as society at large. Use rubber paintballs. Regular paintballs will stun and / or kill a rabbit at 50 feet so if you are careful with the hard rubber paintballs you will only sting a deer with a flank shot! I also strongly recommend that any further discussion of using a pellet gun on Deer cease before the forum police shut down this thread (and they will if illegal activity is being discussed).

Thurmond

You have been very vague as to what the deer are hurting or destroying. What kind of many plants are you talking about? Shooting them with a pellet gun is ridiculous. Contact the DNR and if you have a problem they will make recommendations to solve the problem. I don't think anyone on this forum will give advice on illegal hunting or malicious wounding of any animal. 

I have had a huge deer problem...... The largest group at one time was 19. Mule deer and black tail deer. Kill trees and teach the young to come here.

After lots of experimenting..... One day a saw a Mule Deer buck squat down and jump over my 5 foot fence...

So, I attached a 2 foot extension of 1x2 to each post. Then strung a single clothesline rope to the extensions at nearly 7 feet with the extensions rigged so the strand of rope was
about 6-8 inches inside my property line. Doesn't look bad and didn't cost nearly as much as my earlier failures. The deer will not jump the lower fence the stand of rope higher than
the fence and inside the property...
They finally moved on after a group of 10 deer were all inside and my Sheltie tried to herd them away and got kicked by a doe with a fawn with her. He got broken ribs and bruising out of it. He's ok now and really HATES deer and I do.

I had to get creative in a place or two due to the neighbors fence. In that case, I strung the rope from trees inside my property and higher than his fence. I put some while flags
on the rope to help them see the rope. It works also after a couple of deer apparently did not see the rope and jumped into it and caused some havoc. Anyway, I have not had
one of the deer in my yard for a year or so. But they are all around me and the Sheltie stays on the job. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.