• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

WANT TO PRACTICE AIRGUN HUNTING ???

Meh. Sitting at benches with sleds and tripods shooting stationary targets is hardly what I would call practicing hunting. This is just field target shooting - which has it's own forum, by the way. Now if you had a course where you walked through it, all the targets were moving long before you got there, noise sensors and olfactory sensors were set up to disperse your targets if you stepped on the wrong twig or played the wind wrong, and motion sensors shut it down if tiny cameras in the targets sensed your movement, then you could possibly claim it is practicing hunting. Oh, don't forget to throw in the snakes, spider webs, and biting insects just for the added realism.

Most of my hunting pesting is with shooting sticks and a chair or the padded car window or the 360 degree swivel bench. So this would be similar. I have most likely under 200 free hand shots unrested in 10000 pests this year. There are some building sides, fence posts, tractor or truck tires or fenders and more than a few trees or bolders in there too. 

Such positivity, I can hardly contain myself. If one can not hunt and wants to shoot there are kill zones, there are METAL animals. I have shot 100's of thousands of birds pigeons, doves, etc at dairies. I have placed, won, and lost in many shooting venues. I CHOOSE to build it up apparently you choose the alternative, good on you. Shooting is shooting Apparently you would rather keep your panties in a twist instead of having a little enjoyment. Because ALL practice is a good thing and shooting different distances is also helping you judge ranges. I and many others shoot while HUNTING from bi-pods, tripods. Thanks for the support of mutual enjoyment!!! 

MOD EDIT: REMOVED INSULTS, PLEASE REFER TO THE FORUM RULES

38A3C5B5-A81F-484D-9E4A-1AFA1111A623.1604334145.jpeg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DmnkHsmLWbnJn6GBzbrPdmv-dNkE4_a-/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BT8sHsUbTrRxdytG2B8ADmyEKEH8ml0v/view?usp=sharing

scallen2112 

It’s my understanding they shoot 40 targets at various distances. Sounds like that would be no challenge for a mighty hunter like you. But I got $1000 that says you can’t shoot all 40 with out a miss. Have you got $1000 that says you can? I’ll be there next meet how about you? In other words put your money where your mouth is !!!

scallen2112 

It’s my understanding they shoot 40 targets at various distances. Sounds like that would be no challenge for a mighty hunter like you. But I got $1000 that says you can’t shoot all 40 with out a miss. Have you got $1000 that says you can? I’ll be there next meet how about you? In other words put your money where your mouth is !!!

I'll add another $1K to that Donne, and I'll be at the next match also. We'll give him 10 to 1 odds, so all he needs to do is come up with $100 for each of us. I'll even give him his $100 back if he finishes in the top 5. Easy peasy… Hmmm, maybe them Georgia boys can teach us left coasters a thing or two???

Extreme American Field Target is as close as you can get to actual hunting. Bucket and sticks, known distance (hunting we ALL carry laser rangefinders), higher powered guns, distances from 25 to 100 yards. Swirling winds, variable temperature, what else do you need? The only variable that we don't practice is prone, and who's to say a few lanes don't offer that in the future matches? I've also discussed an "optional lane 11" with Ben, set up at 150 to 175 yards, option to shoot prone off bipod. Shoot the lane and miss, you get minus 1. Make the hit and you get plus 4. One shot, one kill. A classic risk/reward... ;)

Rereading this and it comes to mind how small some peoples world is. If it isn't the way I do it it's wrong Maybe this winter I can meet some of these people face to face.

I was at the first match and have been hanging out with a good number of these guys for the last few years at the regular sub20fpe FT matches here in AZ. A better group of people you won't find anywhere. We'd love to have you join us and see how much fun it is for yourself. Good fun with good people. 

I went to the first one in September and will be there again in November...It was my first "competition" and what a blast!!!!! I only got 22 out of 40 and ended up in the middle of the pack...The wind was the killer and they all said it was calm....Rolling out with Centercut again and going to use the same gun as last time the gun I hunt with an older Vulcan 25 cal and a mid level Athlon scope....No need for "High end " equipment because I am there for fun...Hanging out and learning from some of the nicest people there are...

Tony P.

I stand by what I said. It's field target. Period. When your field targets start actively reacting to your presence, then you'll be getting close. Until then, it's just target shooting. Sure, it looks like it could be fun. But to come on the "hunting" section with field target posts and claim it's equivalent is ridiculous. There is a whole forum for FIELD TARGET - and that's where this belongs.

I stand by what I said. It's field target. Period. When your field targets start actively reacting to your presence, then you'll be getting close. Until then, it's just target shooting. Sure, it looks like it could be fun. But to come on the "hunting" section with field target posts and claim it's equivalent is ridiculous. There is a whole forum for FIELD TARGET - and that's where this belongs.

Title = WANT TO PRACTICE AIRGUN HUNTING ???

prac·tice

/ˈpraktəs/

verb

1. 1.

perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one's proficiency.

"I need to practice my French"

[/LIST=1]

Meh. Sitting at benches with sleds and tripods shooting stationary targets is hardly what I would call practicing hunting. This is just field target shooting - which has it's own forum, by the way. Now if you had a course where you walked through it, all the targets were moving long before you got there, noise sensors and olfactory sensors were set up to disperse your targets if you stepped on the wrong twig or played the wind wrong, and motion sensors shut it down if tiny cameras in the targets sensed your movement, then you could possibly claim it is practicing hunting. Oh, don't forget to throw in the snakes, spider webs, and biting insects just for the added realism.

Alright, probably the wrong forum but this event helps with most aspects of marksmanship skills, as well as I can't think of a better way to practice them. It's in the match environment that weaknesses in gear or ability rear their ugly head and hopefully teach us to overcome those things in the next match OR when actually hunting something. 

We have plenty of the critters that, bite, sting, etc, in the FT environment including scorpions and rattlesnakes - realism.

Moving targets - great idea! OP, lets get some!!!! Lets have fun and not totally adhere to common FT notions since EFT is it's own "thinking out of the box" sport anyway. 

Ok,

My friend's goal is to promote this venue because like some others that have already stated. We believe this one of the best and fun venues out there. Yes call me optimistic but it is something I truly believe in. So I am just trying to spread the word. Why because up until now there was ONE place to shoot this venue ONCE a year at Extreme Benchrest in Arizona usually 2nd or 3rd week in October. My friend has bugged Robert for over 3 years to give this venue a chance, a venue he created. Finally, finally, he is nice enough to let us use the targets and he even sponsored our first event with prize money, lunch and a t-shirt. We promised him we will do our best to make this work and have monthly matches.

The reason I posted about this type of match on this particular forum is most people that hunt with airguns does it past 60 yards. Yes, field target COULD be called super small game hunting practice. Squirrels, rabbits, rats, ground squirrels.

MOD EDIT: REMOVED INSULTS AGAIN. THE DEFINITION OF HUNTING CAN BE INTERPRETED IN A VARIETY OF WAYS. FIELD TARGET TYPE SHOOTING HAS SOME GREAT MERITS AND CAN BE SEEN AS A TYPE OF HUNTING (WITHOUT ACTUALLY KILLING ANYTHING). SPOT AND STALK OR REAL HUNTING ALSO POSSES VERY UNIQUE CHALLENGES AND NECESSARY SKILLS. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TAKING THE STANCE THAT ONE WAY IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO THINGS.

That negates nothing I have said. When I earned my expert marksman ribbons in the military - three times - we used iron sites on the M16-B. When I squirrel and dove hunted with my father, we did not use scopes. The point that evidently surpasses your understanding is that in HUNTING (which I will reiterate - this forum is about) your challenge is not hitting a still target you have in range. It is about getting in range of that target in the first place. THAT is the challenge. 

This is not hunting, is not equivalent to hunting, is only about one aspect of the skill set used in hunting, and is in the wrong forum.

As for you super duper expert marksmen with your thousand dollars, I will accept your challenge. Come out here in the Georgia swamps in January. You can pick the WMA. We have one day to study the google maps on it before the hunt. It's a foot stalk of wild hogs. The one who comes back in with the most pork wins the pot. No pigs repeats the process on another WMA. We will see how much your "practice" prepared you for a real hunt.

Mod Edit. Removed insulting remarks.