Want To Measure Ballistic Coefficient

@MikeAllen - Mike I have measured my BC a couple of times with my Caldwell chronograph. Shoot ten shots across the chronograph at one yard away.

Take the chronograph to fifty yards and shoot ten shots across it to calculate BC.

This is the one I have. I paid $125 like five years ago, still rocking.

@MikeAllen - Mike I have measured my BC a couple of times with my Caldwell chronograph. Shoot ten shots across the chronograph at one yard away.

Take the chronograph to fifty yards and shoot ten shots across it to calculate BC.

Good idea! I’ll try that with my FX Pocket Chronograph.

Good idea! I’ll try that with my FX Pocket Chronograph.
Be aware of that the FX radar detects the outgoing projectile and not the incoming ... you can leave it on a tripod mount with your phone (for uninterrupted recording) 5-10 meters in front of the target, if too close the impact sound may create an echo.

Reactions: MikeAllen

Measuring two different shots at different ranges will only get you as close to your 'real' BC as your muzzle velocity is consistent. Every fps of deviation between the short range shot and the long range shot adds error to your calculated BC. To get a true BC you need either two chronographs, a radar chronograph (that will measure the same pellet at two distances), or a chronograph that has two measuring points (Oehler used to make such a thing).

GsT

Measuring two different shots at different ranges will only get you as close to your 'real' BC as your muzzle velocity is consistent. Every fps of deviation between the short range shot and the long range shot adds error to your calculated BC. To get a true BC you need either two chronographs, a radar chronograph (that will measure the same pellet at two distances), or a chronograph that has two measuring points (Oehler used to make such a thing).

GsT
Great information. Thanks for your feedback. That’s exactly why I have asked for the use of the FX True Ballistic chronograph.

Ok once one has the near and far shot numbers what is the next step? A formula of some sort?
Yes, math comes next. Luckily Pyramid has a BC calculator. The ten shots is used to get an average fps.