Want to make my wildcat mkii .25 compact 500mm a slug shooter

Even with mods your biggest challenge with that platform will be pushing most of the mid-weight and above .25 slugs to speeds high enough to do adequate testing to get them to stabilize. And once you have the speeds maxed out, your shot count will be shockingly low. I don't have your specific gun, but have done similar testing on other FX compacts.

You can do it, but the process will be very time consuming, frustrating and expensive. To the point that you may very well regret not just purchasing a more adequate platform to begin with instead of trying to mod that compact wildcat.

Reactions: BZapp7 and RobR
I have the same gun and was able to get the FX hybrids up to 900 fps and shooting moa at 100. Huma reg at 150, power plenum and superior liner. I only get 2 magazines before refilling in .25 caliber.

I also did the Huma .22 caliber conversion and get great results with the NSA 17.5 at 960 fps. Same regulator setting just backed off the hammer spring to get them to stabilize. Getting 3 magazines per fill in .22. It also likes the NSA 20.2 and FX hybrids

Last edited:
Reactions: BZapp7 and Spartan
I have the same gun and was able to get the FX hybrids up to 900 fps and shooting moa at 100. Huma reg at 150, power plenum and superior liner. I only get 2 magazines before refilling. I also did the Huma .22 caliber conversion and get great results with the NSA 17.5 at 960 fps. Same regulator setting just backed off the hammer spring to get them to stabilize. Getting 3 magazines per fill in .22. It also likes the NSA 20.2 and FX hybrids

@BZapp7 I think that conversion mentioned above would be key for you if sticking with that platform. .25 is really asking alot. Just my advice.

You don’t need anything actually. Just turn your reg to about 145 bars, max out the hammer spring preload and shoot 23 grain NSA at about 900fps. Don’t try to go much higher than 920 fps, let the paper tell you which speed/setting is better.
The rifle that he’s working with is a .25 caliber and predates slug liners.

Reactions: qball
The rifle that he’s working with is a .25 caliber and predates slug liners.

Ah, just get superior 0.25 liner for it and done. As far as slugs goes try NSA 26 and 29 grain.

Edit: since the OP has the older WC then might want to add the power plenum if having trouble pushing the 29 grain slugs at 900fps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jlowe
I tried the NSA 26.8 and couldn’t get them past 900 even with the power plenum. They grouped half way decent but I always had an occasional flyer with them. That’s why I ended up using the FX hybrids.

I see, you probably have earlier gen WC, what was the max speed you got with the 26 grain? What's your reg set at?

The original FX STX liner shot the .249 NSA slugs like crap, I tried. You do NOT need 900 fps to be accurate at all, you need a very efficient tune. I was able to get sub MOA accuracy at 100 yards down around 800fps before. Take out your hammer weight and see how heavy it is. It should be 11 grams, if you have a 7 gram hammer then you need to order a 11 gram hammer weight. You probably won't want a 13 gram weight as you are not suppose to run reg below 150 or you could have too much hammer, this is especially important with shorter barrel like 500mm.

First thing first, make sure you have the superior or heavy liner. Pretty sure you can get a superior liner on AGN for less than 100 bucks since so many upgraded to heavy liner if you don't want to wait.

Second, set your reg to 140-145 bars once you confirmed your hammer is 11 grams. Record a couple of shots at every setting and find the kneed of power curve, assuming you maxed out the preload.

Honestly you need to decide if slower velocities are going to be enough. If not, sell your Wildcat and buy sometime with a little more habaneros in the salsa.

My MK3 Tube WC with a 910 plenum does pretty well but no where near my mild Impact. If 25 Cal isnt needed, I think the 500mm setup is best in 22 Cal. Mine does 940fps 17.5grain Nielsen at only 125Bar. Thats enough to hunt or paper punch out to about 100yds. To get more performance you would really need to go to a 700mm barrel, but wont have enough power to maximize the length.

Reactions: BZapp7
I see, you probably have earlier gen WC, what was the max speed you got with the 26 grain? What's your reg set at?

The original FX STX liner shot the .249 NSA slugs like crap, I tried. You do NOT need 900 fps to be accurate at all, you need a very efficient tune. I was able to get sub MOA accuracy at 100 yards down around 800fps before. Take out your hammer weight and see how heavy it is. It should be 11 grams, if you have a 7 gram hammer then you need to order a 11 gram hammer weight. You probably won't want a 13 gram weight as you are not suppose to run reg below 150 or you could have too much hammer, this is especially important with shorter barrel like 500mm.

First thing first, make sure you have the superior or heavy liner. Pretty sure you can get a superior liner on AGN for less than 100 bucks since so many upgraded to heavy liner if you don't want to wait.

Second, set your reg to 140-145 bars once you confirmed your hammer is 11 grams. Record a couple of shots at every setting and find the kneed of power curve, assuming you maxed out the preload.
I have a MKII, same as the original poster. I don’t remember exactly what speed I got out of the 26.8 NSA… a little below the 900 I got out of the hybrids…

My regulator pressure is set at 150 bar. The factory hammer and spring seemed to work fine, at least it dialed in like every other gun I’ve tuned to the knee. I’d have liked to get more speed out of it but didn’t want to go past 150 bar.

I have a MKII, same as the original poster. I don’t remember exactly what speed I got out of the 26.8 NSA… a little below the 900 I got out of the hybrids…

My regulator pressure is set at 150 bar. The factory hammer and spring seemed to work fine, at least it dialed in like every other gun I’ve tuned to the knee. I’d have liked to get more speed out of it but didn’t want to go past 150 bar.

I could be wrong but that seems a bit low even for a mK2 with PP. has anyone else tried to push slugs?

What’s your hammer weight? If your are currently shooting the hybrid at 890, what’s the speed if you drop the reg to 140?

I could be wrong but that seems a bit low even for a mK2 with PP. has anyone else tried to push slugs?

What’s your hammer weight? If your are currently shooting the hybrid at 890, what’s the speed if you drop the reg to 140?
If I set the regulator to 140 I would lose velocity.
When I tuned the gun I turned the reg pressure up and the velocity increased as I did. I stopped at 150 because it was grouping well.

Reactions: qball
I have the same gun and was able to get the FX hybrids up to 900 fps and shooting moa at 100. Huma reg at 150, power plenum and superior liner. I only get 2 magazines before refilling in .25 caliber.

I also did the Huma .22 caliber conversion and get great results with the NSA 17.5 at 960 fps. Same regulator setting just backed off the hammer spring to get them to stabilize. Getting 3 magazines per fill in .22. It also likes the NSA 20.2 and FX hybrids
What's the list for what I need to make mine a .22? That sounds cool if it's feasible money wise at this time.

Last edited: