• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Want to improve your airgun shooting accuracy?

Before I get started with the subject, I want to make very clear that I am no expert, just simply a long time air rifle shooting enthusiast, like many of us here.

I hear lots of fellow shooters many times complain most often about either a gun they purchased or the scope being junk, because they are consistantly shooting spread out, bad groups... besides the obvious factors such as making sure that your scope bases and mounts are secured, there is another method to the madness that I gaurantee will improve your grouping, no matter even the quality of the optics that you are using.

If you are shooting a new air rifle ('DO NOT MOUNT YOUR NEW SCOPE ON YOUR GUN, UNTIL YOU SIT DOWN AND SHOOT AT LEAST 75 TO 125 PELLETS THROUGH THE GUN')...This will give your gun a chance to break in and diesel out. Now when you mount your scope it will be able to adjust to handling the recoil that would have been over stressful on the gun, causing many inaccurate shots and lots of aggravation. 

If you will try that simple step, I know you will start finding a lot more respect and confidence in these inexpensive scopes.

Try it then let me know. I promise you will be amazed!

I introduced many fellow officers at work to airguns. EVERY one of them told me they a got a bad gun and wanted to return it. I would take it from them, go through the new rifle steps of cleaning the barrel, tightening the screws, seasoning the barrel, finding the right pellet, and then mounting and sighting in the scope. I would hand it back to them along with a target shot with the rifle and many thought I was screwing with them. Finally I put together a pamphlet called So, you bought a Springer. I printed a bunch of them out and gave them away. (it was much cheaper than using all my pellets) The pamphlet explained all the things it takes to get good accuracy from a break barrel from cleaning the barrel to the artillery hold and finding the best pellet. It contained websites to buy accessories and airgun forums to join.

I'm not an expert on airguns, I just took what I learned from the forums and personal experience and put it together. Unfortunately, that was lost when my laptop crashed and I didn't save a hard copy.

Why the manufacturers don't include viable instructions on how to get the best from a break barrel along with every gun is beyond me. It would save them from a lot of returns.

Perhaps one of our experts here could put something together and make it a sticky on the springer page. It would help a lot of newbies and prevent the same questions being asked.

I usually take it a step further and put a whole 500 count tin through mine before I put a scope on and I do it rapid fire lol. As fast as I can into the mulch trap. Then I redo all the steps again lol. Also I loctite all of my stock and scope screws. And I always run my guns through the local pellet Gambit as I call it... This is where I run every locally available pellet through my airgun this often is a long list including every Daisy, Crosman, and Gamo pellet as well as several odd pellets, like the local gun shop carries a h&n spitzkugel, and Walmart carries those Ruger pellets

I go a different route. The first thing I do after finding out the gun actually does shoot, is void the warranty by taking it apart and removing all the factory goo and putting in my expensive goo --- Krytox grease.

The gun usually starts shooting as good as it is going to shoot within a hundred pellets or so.

Not saying this is the best method, just the one I follow with my spring guns. Any PCP is a different story. Clean the barrel and check for leaks, mount the scope, zero it in and shoot away.