• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Want to buy a RAW but!

Who told you this? I’m sure if you’re buying the gun new. They could set it up anyway you wanted. I’d call RAW or SPAW and get a real answer.
Martin at Raw has put together thousands of guns. For the longest time 18gr JSB was the go to pellet for .22. I can’t believe they can’t tune one for 18 gr pellets.
Or:
Ken Hicks at SPAW cut his teeth on Thobens and Rapid air guns. Being mentored by Martin in the early days long be for his FX. Plus if my memory serves me. Ken won RMAC in 2018, when RMAC had a 50 yard bench rest with a RAW.
I remember watching him, he was shooting on east side of the house. He cleaned his barrel a lot, right at the bench.

Some truth to it.

If u order an off the shelf .22 raw it will most likely come setup for jsb MRD setup to shoot them around 900-920 ish fps.

Raw hammer springs are cut to length and set to cover a small range of reg pressures.

So in order to shoot 18gr jsb u would have to lower the reg pressure and most likely trim the hammer spring….because the hammer spring adjuster simply doesn’t have enough travel.

Simple solution is ordering the gun setup for 18gr jsb

Reactions: boscoebrea
With my modifications I can run my RAW HM1000X .22 from 700fps to 1200fps with 18 grain
received_645321359707197.jpeg

I owned 2 HM100X’s and they came to me set up new shooting MRDs at 946-950 and shot them great. When I detuned them to shoot 18’s they shots OK but nowhere near as accurate as MRDs. I purchased a reg and modified HS from Martin and swapped them out and it allowed me to shoot 18s at similar velocities and allowed me to adjust the HS to shoot 840-950 range. However, I could never find a tune that yielded accuracy that equaled the original MRD tune. I think it may have something to do with the barrel design but I am certainly no expert or airsmith. None the less they are fantastic rifles though.

My response is from my experience with a standard power HM1000, not the 1000X high power rifle. Since the OP is focused on the 18 g pellet, I assumed he was interested in the standard power rifle, which might not be the case. I apologize if my comment is inappropriate.
Yeah the X action is roughly an inch longer, so u gain plenum space.

I owned 2 HM100X’s and they came to me set up new shooting MRDs at 946-950 and shot them great. When I detuned them to shoot 18’s they shots OK but nowhere near as accurate as MRDs. I purchased a reg and modified HS from Martin and swapped them out and it allowed me to shoot 18s at similar velocities and allowed me to adjust the HS to shoot 840-950 range. However, I could never find a tune that yielded accuracy that equaled the original MRD tune. I think it may have something to do with the barrel design but I am certainly no expert or airsmith. None the less they are fantastic rifles though.
Redesigned pellets have better BC. Gives better accuracy in a well tuned gun specially outdoor conditions as compared to 18 grain

It was told to me that I can't reduce a RAW 22 to shoot 18 grain pellets. I was told the hammer is already at is lowest setting and 18 grain shoot to fast... can anyone tell me if true. I would like not to change reg. pressure if I can help it.

Hi,
You may want to consider a Daystate Wolverine R HP …

… I suggest because the Wolverine HPs use a Lothar Walther polygonal barrel - similar to RAW.

My Wolverine is AVERAGING 198+ in the 30 Yard Challenge - the 10 ring is .13” and the X is .02”. This is using JSB/FX 18.13s @ 1,027fps !! The barrel is more than keeping them stable at that speed, its lazering them.

From my pics, you can also see that it’s shooting MRDs very well at 50 yards (also at 75 yards - I’ve tested). It shoots the MRDs at 900fps.

So, its a mechanical rifle like the RAW with similar barrel technology to the RAW. Proven manufacturer. Shoots both 18.13s and MRDs well with same tune - no adjustment required.

I believe the Wolverine R HP .22 was designed/tuned for MRDs - but I’m showing that it shoots the 18.13s extremely well at high velocity. I would not have believed it till I tried it and saw the results.

-Ed

IMG_2776.jpeg

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2721.jpeg

IMG_2343.jpeg

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

Reactions: baranjhn