Walther Reign Moderator removal without cutting

download.png
20211031_101700.1635795638.jpg

download.png
20211031_100823.1635795641.jpg

Submitted for viewers wanting to know what the U.S. Walther Reign moderator looks like unassembled without cutting or grinding.. I read a few removal threads that entailed labor intensive procedures that I almost was going to give up. Fortunately I didn't and with the Donnie FL Sumo the gun is substaintially quieter. .The factory thread in the picture is 1/2 UNC.

Reactions: Mr12PM and Harv24
Tools required

1 .Your brain and common sense. Be sure your magazine is out and gun unloaded safety on.

2. Gun vice is nice. Sturdy bipod may suffice if you don't have vice.

3.Heat gun . I Do not recommend using a torch or open flame. It is not necessary.

4. Locking pliers. I use channel lock 8" flat jaw.

5. Some type of small pick or x-small narrow blade flat screw driver to remove retension clip in the barrel grove after threaded portion ( rear steel portion of moderator) is removed.

6.Oven/ welding glove etc. After you heat the front portion of the moderator ( Plastic area in front of muzzle weight) you will have to pull and wiggle this portion with your hand..

Steps:

1. Start heating the moderator on the muzzle weight plastic juncture with the heat gun. . It is important to be patient with this step ! It will take a while for that heat gun to get that plastic soft enough to pull it off the knurled nipple that yoiu see in the download pic. Keep the heat gun close and moving cumferentially around the juncture . If it starts to appear to smoke you've got it too hot -back off. You can tell when you're getting somewhere when you twist the plastic portion ( be sure to have your insulated mitt on while doing this ) clockwise or counter clockwise it will start to rotate on the nipple at this point apply pressure forward ( pull plastic portion forward ) and wiggle in a circumferential motion you will see the plastic start to pull away from the muzzle weight.and they will start to separate. Apply more heat as needed it will eventually pop from the nipple. There was no need to try to pry them apart with a screwdriver. .

2. Now that the front portion of the moderator is off there will be a nipple forward of the muzzle weight. Take your channel locks or locking pliers grab the nipple and make sure you have a secure bite on it . (I wasn't concerned about saving the moderator but I was able to pop everything back together when I was done so I did not destroy it ). The muzzle weight was still extremely hot when I began this next step.

3 .Grabbing the channel locks with a firm quick 1/8 to 1/4 turn motion turn the muzzle weight clockwise then counter clockwise repetitively you will feel the clip start to compress do not apply more than 20 ft pounds at any point if it feels as though you're applying too much pressure keep rotating clockwise counter clockwise rapidly back-and-forth until you feel the clip get caught and compressed you will feel it ease up significantly as you notice more distance gained when turning right and left with your channel locks then it's just a simple matter of unscrewing the weight off. 

3. Remove the clip in the barrel groove and you're good to go.. I found a nylon half inch I.D. sleeve that I was able to fit and place behind the DFL Sumo to hide the groove. I did this simply for cosmetics.

I hope that this helps someone attempting to remove the factory muzzle device. I'm very happy with my decision not to have been Influenced by the procedures done on other forums in attempting to remove the muzzle brake . Gun is truly awesome now.

Facts----- The Factory brake is not glued on it is retained by 1/2 UNC threads with a circlip snap lock . You do not have to cut or grind off the muzzle brake in order to remove it . Most importantly you don't have to cut the barrel !

Hope all you guys have a wonderful Holiday season . 

Todd, the reason that they probably don't offer the threaded barrels to the U.S. is because of our importation laws when it comes to firearms . I'm an Arizona boy and we don't have venues that treat air rifles like firearms . I bring this up only because I was unable to import two HW66 .17 Hornet sporting rifles because of the threaded barrels . A lot depends on who is inspecting the firearms when the weapons hit customs. I have been waiting several months for a non threaded version so it can be imported here without the risk of refusal at customs. If one peruses the BATF importation laws one will find that threaded barrels are listed as a reason for refusal depending on the intent ofthe weapon . One would not think asporting rifle was an Uzi or H&K MP5 but the interpretation is at the discretion of the custom agent who just might not be firearm friendly and refuses to let it enter the country . Then you're going to deal with shipping returns and hassle. From my understanding the Germans have some highly restrictive air gun laws so they're accustomed to following the letter of the law as much as possible to to be safe. I can understand that .Hope that answers your question somewhat.

Hello Drpug, 

Thank you for your posts on 1-NOV, 2021 re Walther Reign moderator removal. They are very informative and helpful. I am planning on doing the same procedure, but would like to order my DFL Ronin in advance so I have it on hand to install and don't have downtime on my Reign, which I use for pest control. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few follow-up questions: 

You mentioned that the factory thread on the Reign barrel was 1/2 UNC; To my knowledge 1/2" UNC has a threads per inch spec of 13 [1/2-13]. Looking at the DFL website it looks like the stock thread configuration of the Sumo for .22 / .25 in a 1/2" diameter is 20 threads per inch [1/2-20], which is a UNF thread. 

Is your Reign barrel indeed 1/2-13 UNC? In which case did you special order a DFL Sumo moderator to that UNC spec?

Or is the barrel 1/2-20 UNF? 

[I sincerely don't mean to bust your chops by asking this question. Just want to make sure I am requesting the correct product from DFL.]

Thank you for your time in double checking that info for me. No rush. Have a great day.

Hello Drpug,

Thank you for your posts on 1-NOV, 2021 re Walther Reign moderator removal. They are very informative and helpful. I am planning on doing the same procedure, but would like to order my DFL Ronin in advance so I have it on hand to install and don't have downtime on my Reign, which I use for pest control. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few follow-up questions:

You mentioned that the factory thread on the Reign barrel was 1/2 UNC; To my knowledge 1/2" UNC has a threads per inch spec of 13 [1/2-13]. Looking at the DFL website it looks like the stock thread configuration of the Sumo for .22 / .25 in a 1/2" diameter is 20 threads per inch [1/2-20], which is a UNF thread.

Is your Reign barrel indeed 1/2-13 UNC? In which case did you special order a DFL Sumo moderator to that UNC spec?

Or is the barrel 1/2-20 UNF?

[I sincerely don't mean to bust your chops by asking this question. Just want to make sure I am requesting the correct product from DFL.]

Thank you for your time in double checking that info for me. No rush. Have a great day.
I contacted DonnyFL and they told me it was the 1/2-20 UNF. They recommended the Koi with the cone adapter.
hope this helps.