Walther LP 3

I’ve wanted one of these for a long time so when one popped up on AOA’s “Pre-owned” list I went for it. They advertised it in as “like new” condition and, yeah, I’d say it lives up to its billing. For my tastes it’s a gorgeous gun and beautifully made.

It’s feels very solid in your hand at 2 lbs 14 oz. I have a reasonably big hand and that grip is certainly big enough for me. Of course, the mechanism is all contained under the grips. It’s an SSP and is charged and the hammer cocked by the lever that goes from the trigger guard to the bottom of the grip. I don’t find it that difficult to charge but don’t get your finger between the lever and the trigger guard on the way back home or a blood blister results (and how would I know that?).

Mine shoots 7.0 gr Hobbys at 372 fps. The Blue Book says they shoot 450 fps so I’m thinking of having it resealed. I’d normally do it myself but there are a couple things to consider. First is that it’s in such good condition, I don’t want to muck it up buggering screw heads and adding scratches to the metalwork. The second is that these guns had different pistons and different exhaust valves over the years and both may have to be reworked. I called Pilkington and they said between $200 and $300 to reseal depending what they find inside. Still, machining some new parts is not beyond me so I may give it a go.

It’s quite a pleasure to shoot, the trigger is excellent and I’m getting more accurate with it the more I shoot it. It would be great to get another 75 fps out of it, we’ll see.

While there are wooden grips for my standard version there is another “match” version that has wooden target grips. Also the end of the receiver differs a bit. Trevor goes into that in the link below.

This is a comparison of three Walthers in my collection. As you can see the LP 3 is sized right between the LPM-1 on the top and the LP 53 on the bottom.

Some excellent information about Walther pistols including the LP 3 from Trevor Adams:

http://cinedux.com/walther-air-pistols.php

Here is a YouTube video of what it’s like to shoot the LP3. (And no, not in my dreams am I shooting like this.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfD631CE164

I was tempted by that one myself! Congrats, what a minty example of a great classic built-like-an-anvil air pistol. 

I'm not so sure the velocity is that far off. The early Walther pneumatics never had a reputation for power, and I suspect 450 FPS is a bit optimistic.

Yes, really struggled to get above 400 fps. The LP2 had a simpler, more reliable valve. The LP3 valve was supposed to be an improved design, but can be a real Pita to get sealed up. There is a mod to improve power but i have kept this one just for me..

Reactions: Arzrover
They have a smaller volume than most SSP but this is easily made up for by having a longer barrel. (9.25”) versus less than 8” in most other SSP like the HW40/75 (7.25”) FAS 6004 (7.5”) ….it can easily make the same power as any of them, and even a touch more. Walther must have known what they were doing back then….cannot think why HW did not run their barrels to the full extent of the housing and at least make 8.5” …silly waste of space. 

You must get a new compression seal (which is easy to swap out) but do not get an O ring conversion type as you lose compression force due to the O ring being set back in a groove on the piston. Usually more expensive too, because of the housing, with the groove machined up in Aluminium.

The flange seal which sits in your OEM piston is the way to go. With these you can adjust the cam on the lever to set the seal to sit at the top dead centre of the cam and top of the stroke …no lost volume. If you get this right, you should get 400-420 fps bettering the aforementioned guns.

The issue is the valve. If this is not sealing fully you have a problem.

FA6CFE8B-993E-4CF1-81EA-D6D12AD42592.1654204640.jpeg

This one

I prefer the LP53 but only in so much of my tuned version, and because i have learnt to shoot it as accurately as the LP2/3. This because it can penetrate clean through cans upto 20 yds and take small pests which is a bit more exciting than just paper. Of course, i prefer the LP2/3 over a regular LP53 as there is not much diff in power and choosing the greater accuracy potential of the LP2/3 is a no brainer.

Both guns are really fun to shoot. I'm most interested in vintage target pistols and I'm a big fan of SSP's, so you can see why I would lean to the LP 3. The weight and balance are superb and of course there is very little recoil. The grip would fit a large size hand best. It doesn't shoot all that fast but Steve has given me some hints about that.

I shoot my Walther LPM-1 the best but I love to shoot my Beeman P1 too, they're all fun. :)