Wall Plug Switches, Air Compressor and Water Pump

Hello everyone,

Not sure if you are familiar with this item but I just found out about them and ordered two pieces. When I operate my Air Compressor I like to turn on the Water Pump first and let it run about a minute or so before starting the Compressor. Then after filling a gun I like to let the Pump run several minutes to be sure the Compressor has cooled down properly. The Water Pump does not have a switch so it is just plugged into the wall socket and other than hearing the return water going into the tank, there is no way of knowing that the Pump is on. What I have done now is plug the Pump into one of the Switches and the Compressor into the second Switch. Now I can turn the switch on the Compressor “ON” with the Wall Switch “OFF” and turn the Pump “ON” and let it run for a minute. Then turn the Compressor Wall Switch “ON” and fill a gun and then turn it OFF. The Red light, if lit, tells me that the Switch is ON and I don’t have to reach under the table top to turn On or Off the Compressor now. With a gun in my Rack it is so easy now to control the filling operation. Hope this helps in some way.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

Wall Plug Switch-1.1649713121.jpg
Wall Plug Switch-3.1649713121.jpg

Reactions: JimNM
Something I learned awhile back after overheating my compressor until it smoke several times.

So, a switched outlet is very good thought for sure.

Hello biohazardman,

I just have the two line requirements so the two plugs work perfect for me.

By the way, the NAPA Kool water treatment is still working just fine. In a couple of months I will give you an update.

Thank you and have a great day,

ThomasT

I have my water pump & the 2 cooling fans I use all plugged in to a power strip. Once I plug the power strip in I know all my "cooling equipment" is running. I also let that stuff run a minute before powering on compressor & a few minutes after powering down. A few weeks ago I ran the YH for about 3 minutes before I realized I never plugged in the pump so now, one plug-in powers up ALL the cooling stuff. 

I have my water pump & the 2 cooling fans I use all plugged in to a power strip. Once I plug the power strip in I know all my "cooling equipment" is running. I also let that stuff run a minute before powering on compressor & a few minutes after powering down. A few weeks ago I ran the YH for about 3 minutes before I realized I never plugged in the pump so now, one plug-in powers up ALL the cooling stuff.

Hello Gerry52

Does not do the compressor any good to run it without cooling. I have forgotten several times to turn off the pump but now I can see the red light on the switch so I have no excuses from now on.

ThomasT

ThomasT,

I suspect the phenomenon of forgetting to switch on power to cooling water supply might be more prevalent in sealed water systems, versus those without. While sealed system owners just need to throw the switch, I have to place bucket in sink, install pump/hoses, fill, add ice bottles, wait for water to chill, then run pump to pre-cool compressor head, before starting anything. I've a remote-mounted temperature display so easy to keep an eye on things. Having said all that, I think your idea is a winner, any such visual display for power on, is a good thing. WM

ThomasT,

I suspect the phenomenon of forgetting to switch on power to cooling water supply might be more prevalent in sealed water systems, versus those without. While sealed system owners just need to throw the switch, I have to place bucket in sink, install pump/hoses, fill, add ice bottles, wait for water to chill, then run pump to pre-cool compressor head, before starting anything. I've a remote-mounted temperature display so easy to keep an eye on things. Having said all that, I think your idea is a winner, any such visual display for power on, is a good thing. WM

Hello WorriedMan,

Although my system is not completely "sealed" the water return line is pretty quite pumping the water back into the open tank. I have walked away from it several times and left the pump running. Now that I am using some of the NAPA KOOL water treatment to keep the water "fresh" and it looks like I will not have to change the water but maybe just two times a year. If this is the case, I will build a lid to cover the top opening of the tank to keep all air born contaminates out and most likely I will not be able to hear the return water then. The red light on the switch will become very important then.

ThomasT

I use two of these switches on my setup. One is for the coolant pump and one is for the fans on my radiator. I use a radiator sold to cool computer equipment that has 5/16 inlet and outlet connections. I had to use clamps on the YH for the 5/16 lines but it all works well. I drilled a couple 5/16 holes in the lid of a drywall bucket and forced metal splice connectors through. I also added a hole for the electrical cord for the pump so my system is now sealed. My YH, the pump and the fans are all on the same heavy duty power strip. I turn the pup and fans on first - so I can hear them and know they are on - then the YH. I turn them off last after replacing the cotton filter in the YH outlet and the temp gauge on the YH is typically about 30 C by then. The radiator lets me fill my 45 minute SCBA tank without the compressor getting much above 60 C. In the winter it may not go above at all. (I also use a second dessicant filter on the outlet but the color changing beads have not been changing color so they must not be seeing moisture - they may this summer)

I really like these switches. I never liked having to plug and unplug things to turn the pump and fans on.

I use two of these switches on my setup. One is for the coolant pump and one is for the fans on my radiator. I use a radiator sold to cool computer equipment that has 5/16 inlet and outlet connections. I had to use clamps on the YH for the 5/16 lines but it all works well. I drilled a couple 5/16 holes in the lid of a drywall bucket and forced metal splice connectors through. I also added a hole for the electrical cord for the pump so my system is now sealed. My YH, the pump and the fans are all on the same heavy duty power strip. I turn the pup and fans on first - so I can hear them and know they are on - then the YH. I turn them off last after replacing the cotton filter in the YH outlet and the temp gauge on the YH is typically about 30 C by then. The radiator lets me fill my 45 minute SCBA tank without the compressor getting much above 60 C. In the winter it may not go above at all. (I also use a second dessicant filter on the outlet but the color changing beads have not been changing color so they must not be seeing moisture - they may this summer)

I really like these switches. I never liked having to plug and unplug things to turn the pump and fans on.

Hello JimD,

Looks like our systems are very much alike. I also do not like plugging in equipment, feel better with them on a switch. I have used my new setup quite a few times now and really like how it all works. 

ThomasT