• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wait there is 380mm Crown? Too many options...

Too many options; a sentiment I am sure you all understand.

I have been looking at options for a lightweight pesting/hunting airgun to replace my Wildcat, as I just can't get into the feel of the bullpup. I was pretty sure my choices were down to a Ranger XR or Commander XR. Then I saw the @AEAC video of the Crown Continuum. I have always liked the Crown stock, but always though that it was just a benchrest gun with a really long barrel. Not so, it seems.

An FX MII in synthetic with the 380mm barrel would be nice and light, and have a stock I really like. I could see if Utah Airguns would sell me one with a 300cc bottle instead of the standard bottle to further lighten up the package. I would be a bit more worried about the sturdiness of the FX though, and the Brococks are absurdly sturdy. I guess that is the trade off, if I were to compare two similar length/power packages The Crown would be about 5.8 lbs and more fragile, the Commander XR would be about 6.8 lbs and much sturdier.

Decisions decision...

I personally feel the same way as you about the 'fit' of the Wildcat stock. I have no such feelings about the Crowns - they work and fit absolutely great.

I wouldn't phrase a synthetic Crown with a 380mm barrel as 'more fragile', but instead as slightly 'less sturdy' as compared to a Brocock. Until you get to the 600-700mm barrels on the Crowns, the occurrences of any POI change when you lean the gun against a tree are minimal.

You can see if UA will custom configure a gun for you. Or you just might look at buying one in the caliber you like in an OEM configuration with a 500mm barrel. 380's can be purchased later, and even show up on the AGN classifieds. Then buy a 300cc bottle. You would have a great hunting gun out to 50-75 yards (those 380mm barrels are more accurate than they have any right to be), and you would also have a great bench rested gun for going out to 100+ yards with the bigger bottle and 500mm barrel.

Or you could sell the OEM 480cc bottle and 500mm barrel on the classifieds to recoup some of your customization costs. Me? I'd prefer to have the '2 guns in one' configuration.

I just bought a Crown MKII. I went with the 500mm barrel in .25cal which is what I wanted. Mine was used and came with the 300cc bottle and yes it was very light, more than I thought it would be. My 500mm barrel doesn't even move and there is no droop not even with the Huggett on the end of it. The 380mm version should be rock solid. I've bought 4 FX's in the last year and this one is very impressive in its overall feel and ability to shoot bench and offhand. I plan on using this one for squirrel hunting this fall. I have 2 Maverick Snipers and on paper they weigh a pound more than the Crown but in the hand the Crown feels more than a pound lighter than the Mavericks. 

IMG_1235.1651335594.jpeg

Reactions: Mr12PM
Compact versions of the Crown include:

Synthetic stock .22 Crown MK1 380mm Superior barrel with DonnyFL Shogun and Athlon Midas Tac: 

0424221936.1651339665.jpg

POI shift/consistency of gun/scope combo test shooting H&N 21g slugs @ 873fps:

04242220332.1651339752.jpg

Or even lighter weight "truck gun" version with collapsable stock:

.177 "Crown Tact Compact" (stripped down Saber Tactical chassis) using 170cc tubes with 300mm Dream Tact barrel and Vector Veyron scope: 

12142110382.1651340663.jpg

0110220926.1651340923.jpg

It's a very flexible platform to shoot a wide variety of .177 to .30 ammo very accurately with just a few quick changes(turn power setting dials, switch out barrels/probes, change stocks, change barrels, etc...) without having to buy a whole new gun.

Well I love my 380mm MKI Crown in 22. It loves the JSB 18’s at 880, but it is set up right now at 880 with the H&N 21 grain slugs…was out shooting with Centercut today and got 15 ground squirrels at a winery. I shot 30 there on Tuesday (First trip)…out to 110 yards with no issues. There is something about those 380mm barrels that just work…..I picked Phil’s (Ghostranger169) mind on the set up and tune…Haven’t hunted with another rifle since I got the mini crown….never checked the zero on Tuesday before hunting because first squirrel went down at 50 yards with a head shot….I did check it today and X ring first shot….It lives in a soft case in and out of the car all the time.

‘This rifle is a KEEPER!

‘Tony P

Well I love my 380mm MKI Crown in 22. It loves the JSB 18’s at 880, but it is set up right now at 880 with the H&N 21 grain slugs…was out shooting with Centercut today and got 15 ground squirrels at a winery. I shot 30 there on Tuesday (First trip)…out to 110 yards with no issues. There is something about those 380mm barrels that just work…..I picked Phil’s (Ghostranger169) mind on the set up and tune…Haven’t hunted with another rifle since I got the mini crown….never checked the zero on Tuesday before hunting because first squirrel went down at 50 yards with a head shot….I did check it today and X ring first shot….It lives in a soft case in and out of the car all the time.

‘This rifle is a KEEPER!

‘Tony P

I must say that 380mm barrel interest me in 22cal, especially with the Hades and the 18's. 

I have not shot the hades, but when it was tuned with the 18’s I took out a squirrel at 115 yards shooting with Centercut at a friends property…but after tuning and shooting the little slugs in the wind, I doubt I will go back to pellets in this rifle unless I have to. I shoot a much tighter group at 100 with the slugs in any wind then I can with pellets.

‘Tony P

‘This rifle is a KEEPER!

‘Tony P
Hey, I've got the mk2 crown with 380 and will be starting to tune in a couple of weeks. Can I ask you reg pressure for your set up

My reg is set at 150…I

Tony P
Thanks, getting the 21gr up to 880 must leave no slack in the hammer, I can only get about 880 890 fully maxed on reg and hammer. I've turned barrel to the dual TP also . I'd rather be able to come back on the hammer so I could get the gun smoother but dropping back to smoother shot I'm loosing my velocity