Wafer (Necco Candy) Shooting Challenge - Any distance or caliber is OK

Here are the current scores:
Wafer-Necco_ShootingChallenge_Scores_2023-01-26.jpg

Hello once again, shooting enthusiasts.

I can't take credit for the idea of this challenge as the concept goes out to @rattletrap , but it is awesome and needs to be exploited.

I am a geeky engineer, so I devised a formula that will let anyone use whatever caliber gun they have at whatever distance they can shoot to get a score. I created an Excel spreadsheet that will calculate your score for you that is attached.

Here is a link to the video showing you the construction of the targets and the basic setup:

The scoring is pretty "simple". There are 15 wafers total that are just under an inch in diameter. You take the distance you are shooting in yards and divide it by the caliber with a decimal, and this will give you your points per shot. If you miss one, you deduct half this amount per shot missed. If you miss two shots, it cancels out the points you earned from a good shot, so this is very much on the honor system. I am also including a windage multiplier for another chance of winning, so for this, we are taking the reading and adding "1", and multiplying that by the earned points. Here is an example printed from the spreadsheet I created:
Wafer-Necco_ShootingChallenge_ScoringExample_2023-01-24.jpg

So, I found the Necco wafers at my local Walgreens for $1.49 a roll.
20230123_120737.jpg

I counted 37 in a roll, so the challenge is using 15 each, so that you should be able to shoot two challenges from a roll, and have a couple left over in case a few are broken or you get hungry or something.

Here is one of the targets for your reference:
20230124_150649.jpg

I wasn't able to participate in this challenge tonight because of some weather coming in, so I will post my results as soon as possible. Let me know if you have any questions on the challenge or would like a copy of the spreadsheet. I look forward to seeing how this goes over.

Happy shooting!!

Jonathan

NOTE - I noticed a rounding error in my spreadsheet dated 2023-01-24. If you have that version, please download the newest one.

View attachment Wafer-Necco_ShootingChallenge_2023-01-26.xlsx

Last edited:
Smarties would provide an even greater challenge.
I agree. You'd probably have to hot-glue those down.

THAT'S the one I shoot at 50 or farther. More challenging than Neccos. Amazing how precise airguns have become.
I'm planning on going to 50 yards for my try, but shooting Smarties at 50 would be really tough...especially with a smaller caliber. This is why I am using the caliber as the divider, so the smaller the caliber, the higher the potential score. What caliber are you using to shoot Smarties at 50 Yards? I'm at 9100' of altitude, so we rarely get light wind up here, so this is why I added the multiplier for the wind to get another score.

I'm still waiting on the weather to cooperate with me so that I can take the challenge.

My Bobcat, .22 & my Boss, .30 are equally as accurate.
Outstanding! You would score better with the Bobcat on this challenge, if you are keeping it at 50 yards. I tried to keep the formula simple, but I am sure that there are non-linearities. If you have the ability to push it out, the farther you go out, the better the score, regardless...unless you miss a lot 😉

I made it out in the frigid temps and relatively high wind to take the challenge. Here is a video of the results:

I only cut the video once when I had to get some more pellets. It is a little over 6 1/2 minutes. My wind was 13mph and gusting, so I put a Shoot-N-C target at the Necco targets so I could take sighters occasionally. I didn't cut out the sighters, but just called them out in the video so you can tell.

Here are my results:
SkeeterHawksAttemptAtNeccoShootingChallenge_Score_2023-01-26.jpg

I did a screen shot of the weather as I started shooting, so here it is:
Screenshot_20230126-113156_The Weather Channel.jpg

Since charts and graphs are awesome, I figured that I would chart the caliber to the distance according to the scoring formula to see how the spread was. Here is how it looks:
NeccoWaferShootingChallenge_DistanceToScoreVsCaliberChart.jpg

I stopped the chart at 100 yards, but you are more than welcome to shoot your 0.177 at 125 yards in 20mph wind to "blow us all away". There is no restrictions on ammo, so a slug should be fine.

Happy Shooting!!

Jonathan

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Don’t shoot the black ones!! Those are the best.
The white ones "vanished" in front of the snow, so those aren't a good idea until spring. I had the sun in my face when I shot this challenge, so that made those extra difficult.

You are NUTS shooting in 8 degree weather!
MUST have trigger time!!!:)

I used to keep those foam pads, but got tired of them being in the way
I was getting to that point too. I have been trying to find ways to recycle some stuff lately. Here is how to get rid of some pellet tins.

Guess I will need to order some more pellets just for the foam.
You could also use some of the equally "spongy" packing foam you find elsewhere, but those pellet rings work awesome for this. I'll probably also use them for the Smarties challenge...just shove the toothpicks into the foam and you're done!

Looking forward to posting your score!

Great. Math for Marines!
Sorry :oops: I don't get it, but thanks for your service.👍💪
If Math isn't your thing, the spreadsheet attached to the OP will do the math for you.

Cool target and challenge though.
Thanks!! I've kept the stands and plan to do it again.

If you take the challenge, let me know your numbers and I'll post it on top.

Happy Shooting!