w31 vs Baeur junior

I bought a W31, with no regrets. It's all the compressor I'll ever need and it will certainly meet your stated requirements, as well as handle quite a bit more if you find yourself using more air in the future. There's nothing wrong with Bauer, but I don't think there's any advantage to it, so the extra dollars just aren't justified.

There are a handful of W31 reviews here. I read them all before buying, and wrote one after I got mine. I don't think there's a real complaint in any of them. 

GsT

DSC_0190.1613313212.JPG

this cost me $2500

I talked to a Bauer dealer in south Florida when I bought my Coltri used from them. He said Bauer, hands down. He said they tried out Alkin units and they didn’t hold up over time. They also run several dive shops and do dive tours and dive boats.
I’m not saying the Alkin aren’t good compressors, for airgunners they probably are. The dive shops run compressors really hard, almost non stop in some seasons. In that instance the dive shop says no bueno for the Alkin.
I paid $1500 for a good used Coltri with 22 hours on it. Very satisfied with mine.

03140AA4-C1D4-4E79-B927-7C45AA683DAD.1613330883.jpeg

Based on price the W31.

I agree with bubblerboy64 that the W31 is the better value. I've owned a Bauer Utilus that was like new and I currently own an Alkin W31 which is very similar in size and specifications.

A Jr II and an Alkin W32 are both excellent compressors. If you found a used Bauer Jr. II that was less than 10 years old, lightly used and cost $2500 or less, buy it. Craigslist in Florida or Ebay are good places to shop. Don't buy a used Bauer from Asia. If it has an issue you will pay an exhorbitant amount to ship it back for refund. 

The advantages for the Bauer Jr. II are: 1. It weighs around 100 pounds vs. 145 for the Alkin 2. It is the best reputation air compressor brand in the world and has a more extensive dealer network than any compressor sold in the U.S. 3. It has an excellent track record of durability and resale value. Now for the cons on the Bauer Junior II. The Junior II retails for $4400 or more depending on the vendor. It doesn't even include an on/off switch box or connecting wire. It doesn't include an hour meter. It doesn't include a repackable filter cartridge. Add all of these necessary components and the cost approaches $5,000.

The Alkin advantages are as follows 1. The Alkin company has been manufacturing reliable compressors for at least 25 years so it's time tested 2. The W31 is equivalent in features and construction to the Bauer Utilus series that retails for $6500 or more depending on the vendor. 3. The Alkin is much heavier duty than the Jr II with intercoolers for each stage, a repackable desiccant filter cartridge, an hour meter, on/off switch box, 8' cord, and the vertical model has a small footprint and wheels for one person portability. The disadvantage of the Alkin is that it's bigger, heavier, and has fewer servicing dealers around the U.S. than Bauer Jr.II. However, it is built for commercial continuous duty whereas the Jr II is built for single tank fills.

Both of these compressors are ultra reliable and durable and surpass the requirements that a single user will ever subject it to. If you want prestige and knowing you own the best at a premium for the brand name, buy the Bauer. If you want the best bang for your buck with no worries, get the Alkin. I'll use a car analogy. The Bauer is a Mercedes, the Alkin is a Lexus. Both are first class compressors.

The Coltri MCH-6 is also a worthy compressor for your consideration as it can usually be found for $2795 and is built to be a Junior II competitor for considerably less money. I opted for the Alkin and feel that it is a better choice even though it costs a few hundred more than the Coltri. To me, the Bauer, the Alkin, and the Coltri are the 3 companies to consider if you want a buy once, cry once dependable compressor.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I will add this. There was a fellow named Bruce Dodson who sold a compressor named the AirTex 45 out of Texas. It had an absolutely stellar rep for ong life and reliability. In all myu searches, l never found one word other than praise for them. 

I just learned the compressor was actually made by Alkin. Very fine track record if you ask me. But it was NOT a dive compressor. It was for us. We don't run a dive shop and run our compressors day in and day out, all day long. Nuff Said!

Comparing an alkiin to a pro dive compressor like comparing a Lexus to a Peter Built 18 wheeler. I don't need the performance of an 18 wheeler ever day! I do need transportation. Nor do I want the hugely higher cost of filters and components. 

Knife

I believe there was a $900 or $1000 used Bauer several months ago but probably long gone as well. On Florida but not 100% sure from the same dealer.

I get lots of folks asking me what I think b4 they buy ANYTHING of high dollar and dunno why they don't like to post the question on the forum even after I state WHY DON'T YOU POST THE QUESTION ON THE FORUM?

The shop in south Florida told me that they are buying used compressors and refurbishing them, so there’s no telling what they might have. They had some nice units that they had redone sitting on display in the dive shop. I talked to the two guys who are their mechanics, solid guys who know what they are doing. They are a Bauer dealer after all and they service the units in house. I would have bought a Bauer or an Alkin if I had a larger budget ...