• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

VULCAN jammed up. Please help

My shooting session was cut short today due to a jam up that I'm unsure how to fix.

Vulcan .25 cal

I inserted 2 slugs into the magazine. 44.0 grain which I realize is a little heavy, but they fit perfectly in the magazine. I did notice that it took a little more force on the bolt to seat the bullet.

When I shot the first one, the pellet did not exit the barrel (180 BAR in gun) and air came out the back end where the magazine is. I then opened the bolt to remove the magazine with the one remaining pellet, and it wont come out.

I removed the barrel shroud and found the pellet did in fact not exit the barrel because it was half way out the end of the barrel. A slight pull with needle nose removed the pellet.

My next thought was to degas (the gun currently has 180 BAR) the gun before I went any further, but the owners manual says to insure the chamber is empty, magazine is removed and rifle is not cocked. All of which I cant comply with at the moment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The remaining slug in the mag has moved either forward or back binding the mag.

If the mag indexed when you opened the bolt and is lined up with the barrel you may just need to push it back into the mag using a cleaning rod

If it’s not lined up with the barrel then you need to somehow get the slug back in place in the mag. Try holding the gun by the barrel and taping the recoil pad on the floor to see if you can jar the slug back. 

If the slug is back then holding gun pointed toward the floor shake the gun or tap the side of the gun or end of the barrel . 

It should not be jammed that tightly 

I'd hold up on that one! If the mags slightly rotated you may damage the mag by trying to push the pellet back into it. PULL your barrel and you'll have a better idea of what's going on................

Well yes if you’re going to apply force. I’m suggesting just touching the slug lightly because I can’t see how it could be wedged that tightly. Up to the owner of the gun to use his best judgement . You could damage the mag and you could potentially damage the barrel as well. 

Be nice to hear back from the original poster as to how he made out 

Well I took the barrel off and discovered a pellet halfway into the breach. Slight finger pull was all that was needed.

However I did discover also that the small screw that sits on top of the breach area does not serve the function of positioning the barrel in the correct position. The screw is too short to extend into the detent on the barrel. In one of the forums they say that this screw is not used for that purpose in the 25 caliber. One other person claimed that the screw does put too much pressure on the barrel.

So here is what I think happened. The manufacturer recognized that this did in fact put too much pressure on the barrel, and maybe was more significant with the 25 cal, so they shortened it to have no contact. So therefore the only thing securing the barrel in place is the 4 side screws.

So in my case, I believe since it took noticeably more force to seat this 44 grain slug in the barrel, that it actually moved the barrel forward and allowed just enough air to lodge the pellet in the barrel. The rest of the air that I heard coming out the breech end was leaking behind the aft o'ring.

If this is in fact the case, the engineers need to look as this more closely. But I suppose they would argue that the 44 grain slug was not designed for the gun.

That's all I got on this one. I'm beginning to think this PCP's is over rated. Just sayin,

Did you notice when you had your barrel off if your barrel had the detent where the screw would have gone into? I've ran into several other people who were missing the set screw to secure the barrel. If it were me, I'd screw in the set screw to secure your barrel from not only sliding outward, but also from rotating. If it rotates any at all your port hole won't line up with the air coming from the valve. If you need a set screw PM me your address and I'll send you one.

Zonk

Glad you got it un jammed. Once or so l’ve double loaded that can cause trouble if you fire . Some times you get lucky and both exit the barrel if not then well I’ll not get into that but removing the barrel is a big help then for sure. 

I’m not using slugs in my guns. If I need that much I’ll use a 22 lr . Not to say they don’t have an application just haven’t seen the need myself .

I have noticed that the very heavy pellets don’t feed thru the mags well sometimes. I guess the manufacturers have to set the guns up for “average” applications.

As for the barrel don’t know the gun but having it moving can’t be right