• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vulcan after JB bore paste

After lapping the barrel of my Taipan .22 with great results, I decided to Lapp the barrel of my Vulcan Gen 1 in 25 cal.. great results at 25 yards.

1567736966_4693613035d71c486b3e8a7.30509210_7284D48D-59F0-47D5-8B28-AFCF9FAD773C.jpeg

Pretty much pellet on pellet.

beach-gunner

Dennis

EDIT: Those were 1 full Mag (9 shots) per group

Nice work!

This showed up today. 😁

1567741701_4460574225d71d706001445.36557513_0B2D2270-367E-4E44-B0AE-4FF9E1D66597.jpeg

I'm going to try this out on my Continuum 700mm pellet liner. 

What was your procedure? I was planning on running a mop with Ballistol and bore paste for 20-25 times. Clean, shoot some groups and repeat if needed. I’m waiting for more slug liners to arrive. The 700mm pellet liner is just a throw away. Perfect test bed.

I have a LW 18" barrel that I will be cutting 1.25" off of and re-crowning to remove choke with the help of one of the machinists where I work. I want to test to see how the choke free barrel does. 

I will have to also try the bore polishing like you and some others have done. I plan on purchasing some of the swab-its that are for 25cal and a cleaning rod to use on a drill after I get her shotting as good as possible first and test the difference.

HAVE done the JB on a bunch of PBers and several P P guns. Not a big accuracy or group size all the time, never a negative, always a smoother bore by feel with patch. Some a big improvement in group size and a bit of of speed improvement. Clean bore with patches, wipe a good coat of JB on bore mop "cotton" , 50 strokes, wash bore mop, pull a couple patches through, more JB on brush, 50 strokes. Solvent and patch out. I also use the cotton caliber specific bore cleaners, 2 to protect the chamber and boring. Also turn the TO up if doing on the gun and a padded or coated rod. On a Lilja barreled 17HMR I've gone over 2000 rounds between patches with strong copper cleaned and picked up very little blue on the JB done barrel.

Dave, just a heads up that you may want to check the bore dimensions before removing the choke. LW’s choked barrels generally have a loose bore and rely heavily on the choke to ensure the proper release of a pellet. This is a topic that Mike Niksch of Thomas Benchrest has cautioned about. I don’t know the circumstances of your test so this may not matter but I wanted to give you a heads up just in case.

I've found that polishing my barrels might give you a slight accuracy advantage, but what I've noticed is less fouling and easier cleaning of the barrel. I use a 25 cal bore mop, coat my mop with JB and stroke 25 to 35 strokes, then clean barrel. It's a lot easier with the barrel off and the chamber o-ring removed. Make sure you get all the JB out of o-ring groove.

Zonk

nervoustrig 

Removing the choke of the LW barrel I have is just for slug usage. I was not getting the results I thought it should be capable of and figured it probably came down to the choke, which is great for pellets but can be questionable with the heavy slugs.

I noticed a good improvement in my groups and what seams like a small increase in muzzle energy since less resistance at the end of barrel.