Vulcan 2 vs Taipan Veteran Standard

Hey guys, 

In the market for a new bullpup after a year-long hiatus from the hobby. I owned a first gen vulcan in .22 for a couple of years and generally liked it. I didn't have any reliability issues and could achieve generally good accuracy with it. I didn't like the miniature buttplate (subsequently improved in later generations) or the somewhat rough bolt, which has since been replaced by the side lever. I did sometimes experience some POI shifts for unknown reasons but I was never entirely sure if it was the gun or me. All in all, a pretty solid bit of kit. 

For my next bullpup, I've not decided between the new Vulcan 2, and the Taipan Veteran. The vulcan has the apparent advantages of forward cocking, adjustable buttplate and built in rail for bipods. That said, I seem to have read some reports that the Veteran gets more shots per fill the way the regulator is set from the factory (at least previous versions of the vulcan were getting only around 36 in this caliber). I'm not a tinkerer, so however the reg comes from the factory is how it will stay. Taipan also seems to have a reputation for being amongst the most rugged and durable bullpups.

If anyone owns either in .22 or .25, I'd be very interested to see a shot-string. Is there a noticeable difference between the two guns? 
Also, has anyone tried either in .22 with the new heavy 25gr pellets from jsb? Is accuracy good?

Thanks a lot!

Rob

I've never owned a Taipan because I think it's one of the few PCPs with a plainer/uglier stock that the early generation Vulcans (which is saying a lot since the Vulcan stocks were not great). However, aesthetics aside, I always heard great things about their accuracy and overall performance. 

I did own the Gen3 Vulcan in 0.25 and loved it. I just replaced it was a 0.25 Vulcan2 in laminate and shared some general first impressions here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/first-impressions-agt-0-25-vulcan-2-vs-gen3-vulcan-bullpups/

Don't have any shot strings yet and likely won't have any in the near future but will update the thread if/when I do some.

Cam44...

I've got a Vulcan in 25cal and a Taipan Veteran in 22cal. The Vulcan is a totally different gun with the addition of the side lever - the OEM "bolt" was lousy. The addition of the side lever was a major improvement. Accuracy if very good with both the JSB 25 and the 34gr MK II's pellets. With a Hawke Sidewinder it weighs in at 8.5#. Filling to 220BAR gets me 4 mags down to about 120BAR & tuned to shoot around 42FPE.

The Taipan Veteran has the edge in accuracy tho, mine shoots like a lazer. The 22cals have the CZ barrel, I don't know if the 25's do or not. I especially like the "anti-double load" feature on the Veterans. I don't think the earlier model (Mutants) have this. Mag loading on the Taipan is effortless & a one handed job. Biggest negative I can offer on the Taipan is the weight. With a Athlon FFP mounted, mine tops out at just under 10#....I get 4 mags from 220BAR down to 120 tuned to shoot at 26FPE.

Shot stings are really meaningless since every gun shoots differently.

That's M2CW, hope that helps,

~MM~

Forward cocking gun V/S rear cocking gun, ITS NOT A GAME CHANGER FOR ME.I have been shooting the rear cocking guns close to seven years , I just bought a Vulcan 177 #2 with forward cocking handle, Do i prefer it over my other guns , NO, is it better , NO. Its just different and will take some time to get used to, I still have five rear cocking guns , I am just used to that type of gun, If the Veteran would have offered a 177 caliber I would have bought it in a heart beat, But for some strange reason they keep the 177 over in the UK.

Mike

Not sure which caliber you meant when you said 36 shots per fill? My 4th Gen vulcan gets just on 100 per fill shooting 18grainers at 873fps. Laser accurate. I think any minor accuracy difference between the vulcan 1, 2 and Taipan will be a 'barrel lottery' affair and ergonomics for the individual shooter, as they're all using CZ, regulated and very well built.

Regarding the 25grain jsb redesigns, my vulcan shoots them like they're laser guided - 11mm 50m groups is the norm. Only issue is without messing with the reg, I can't get them above 780fps. The bc advantage isn't nearly enough over the 18grain to compensate. It's shoots the 18 just as well no I'm not messing with it!

Thanks for the input guys!

Macros: Vis-a-vis the estimated 36 shot count for previous generations of the vulcan, I was referring to the .25 caliber version. 100 shots per fill is a ton in .22 though. I was getting around 55 with a 220 bar fill, although I seem to remember the velocity maybe being a little higher.

MobyMyster: Those numbers seem pretty solid on the Vulcan 2. Did the gun come shooting like that or did you have it tuned? And is that a veteran standard or a short? 

AirgunMike: Thanks for your feedback. I reckon it all comes down to what you're used to. 

Yenniedn: Great initial report and congratulations on your purchase! I'll look forward to seeing how things progress with your new gun. 

I appreciate the help, fellas. 

My Taipan Veteran Standard .25 came from the dealer shooting JSB 25.4gr @ 955fps.

With the hammer spring adjuster 1/2 turn in from "stock", Edgun MkII 34.1gr give ~870fps

Double chronograph testing 1st@1yd and 2nd@47yds gave following 10 shot strings..

80 degrees 880ft elev.

34grs BC (0.053921 @ PA) (0.0473 w/chairgun)
---1yd---47yds
1) 867 - 780
2) 872 - 783
3) 872 - 784
4) 872 - 785
5) 868 - 781
6) 868 - 782
7) 873 - 782
8) 866 - 780
9) 866 - 777*
10)871 - 783
------------
Avg870 - 782

Turned the hammer spring adjuster 1/2 turn back to "stock"..but didn't get it exactly.

25.4grs BC (0.031649 @ PA) (0.0295 w/chairgun)
---1yd---47yds.
1) 940 - 787
2) 939 - 785
3) 942 - 783
4) 941 - 785
5) 936 - 782
6) 941 - 780
7) 935 - 783
8) 935 - 782
9) 941 - 784
10)939 - 783
------------
Avg939 - 783

Gun is near new..ie reg not "broken in"...but is boringly accurate. Group sizes for both 10 shot strings at 47yds was ~1/2". The ten 25.4gr could all be covered with a dime. The 34gr were as good discounting 1 flyer (me?or)..9 of 10 under a dime, with the flyer* peeking half out. Essentially two enlarged, round holes..with the exception of the 1 flyer. Longest squirrel (head shot) so far has been 124yds.

Only "complaint" is the trigger. Although it breaks cleanly, there is a minute "rough spot" half way through the 2nd stage. I've shot archery back-tension releases that have a "click" when the release is on the hairy-edge of triggering..so I view the "rough-spot" as a "click". Wish it wasn't there, but it does not affect accuracy. With more shots, it might smooth out entirely.

I've never owned a Taipan because I think it's one of the few PCPs with a plainer/uglier stock that the early generation Vulcans (which is saying a lot since the Vulcan stocks were not great). However, aesthetics aside, I always heard great things about their accuracy and overall performance. 

I did own the Gen3 Vulcan in 0.25 and loved it. I just replaced it was a 0.25 Vulcan2 in laminate and shared some general first impressions here:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/first-impressions-agt-0-25-vulcan-2-vs-gen3-vulcan-bullpups/

Don't have any shot strings yet and likely won't have any in the near future but will update the thread if/when I do some.

LOL - that was me just over a year ago . . . and since then I've picked up a couple of Veterans and have completely changed my tune. Here are my initial observations on the Veteran:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/color-me-convinced/

If anyone in this thread/forum is looking for a 0.25 Vulcan2 or Veteran Standard, I have one of each to sell . . . just P/M me :)