• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vote - Quietist Airguns...mouse fart quiet

My quietest gun is this Styer lg 110 with a AZ shroud. It’s long, but it just makes a little dull ping when it goes off. It was very loud without the shroud lol! Now it’s so quiet it sounds like something is wrong with the rifle.
8150B329-39CA-4C61-BBF0-94A7BEF9E9A2.1599302756.jpeg

4 out of 6 of the HW110 reviews on Pyramid complain that it's way too loud. But, one reviewer says that the LDC was set too low on the barrel from the factory, which wasn't allowing the baffles to do their job. I'd love to know which particular huge silencer was fitted to the BSA Ultra Youth Version.

That's strange. I would assume that it is the same silencer as on my HW100, and it works very well. Don't know what is meant by "too low on the barrel". 

Edit: I went to Pyramyd and read the review. The HW110 moderator attaches differently than the one on my H100. The end cap is also different, so I suspect it is not the same one internally either. The HW100 moderator screws onto standard 1/2 X 20 threads at the muzzle. Sounds like the HW110 unit is a sliding arrangement that attaches with a grub screw. That could be good, in that it avoids threading the barrel at the muzzle, which can sometimes adversely affect accuracy by changing the internal dimensions. But, it is also a less robust design, which could result in some inconsistent performance. I think the main observation is that it is less expensive, as are other featured of the rifle when compared to the HW100. I expect the factory attaches it further rearward for greater stability, and to lower the risk of imperfect alignment. I can only say that the one on the HW100 is a very good moderator, and I have read reviews that place it among the most effective. 

🔶 I don't have dozens of guns to compare, but I'm rather partial toward guns that are both QUIET and SHORT....

And here shines the Artemis PP700 with a Donny FL Sumo silencer. The reg is set high at 130bar and the HST is set low — in order to shorten the sip of air that is released into the barrel — to lower the noise.

This still produces 14.5FPE at the muzzle in .22cal (that's 640fps for a JSB 16 grainer).

Great to engage pigeons at 50y! 😄

Powerful like an RWS 34 — but super silent!! Pffffft, and the feathers fly!

Accurate like that 45" long rifle (114cm) — but less than half the size 21" (53cm).

And without the silencer it's 16" briefcase-short (40cm).... 😄 

And it still can carry a 3-12x44 FFP easily. Offhand shots simply rest the airtube on the crease of the elbow. ✔️ 

Without spending the four digit amounts that many short PCPs require, this is a great QUIET and SHORT option. 👍🏼

Matthias

🔶 I don't have dozens of guns to compare, but I'm rather partial toward guns that are both QUIET and SHORT....

And here shines the Artemis PP700 with a Donny FL Sumo silencer. The reg is set high at 130bar and the HST is set low — in order to shorten the sip of air that is released into the barrel — to lower the noise.

This still produces 14.5FPE at the muzzle in .22cal (that's 640fps for a JSB 16 grainer).

Great to engage pigeons at 50y! 😄
Without spending the four digit amounts that many short PCPs require, this is a great QUIET and SHORT option. 👍🏼

Matthias

One more vote for PP700 and hopefully soon PP750. I have an emperor on it for giggles and it is really quiet, the 22 pellet hitting the paper is a lot louder even at 20 yards than the gun itself. It is also very quiet with a Hugget Belita, not emperor quite but a fraction of the size. Sumo is really close to emperor but a little higher pitch.

Every airgun with a full Allen Z. shroud, quite indeed. The standard for years. I was shocked to discover the Marauder Pistol with the shroud slid forward slightly and a (I believe ) Jim Gaska LDC extension is indeed zippo lighter quite at least, quieter actually based on an overly sensitive yap dog visiting one day.

John

IMG_0179.1599436722.JPG
IMG_0185.1599436722.JPG

Really? Hmm ... I gotta try that. My marauder pistol sounds quite loud to me even with a DonnyFL Koi moderator attached. Thanks for the idea!

I have a fully custom crosman 1300kt from crosmods with 10 baffles and a shroud. It’s shooting 865fps with crosman 7.9gr pellets and it’s so quiet I wasn’t sure it was working. I took off the shroud and it’s got quite a loud crack without it, but it’s as close to silent as a gun can be with it on. I live in a suburban area with a relatively small backyard so silence is the number one priority for me. I’m relatively new to airguns, especially pcp ones, and I’m always looking advice for the quietest combination of mods for my collection. 

Curious how the hammerless designs like huben, sk-19 or leshiy 2 stack up. I’ve only heard them fired in videos but even with little or no moderation they seem to be quiet guns.

My Red Wolf is very quiet, with a Donny Sumo moderator. I would call it a tie with the Veteran. It might sound quieter to the shooter, since there is no hammer clanging around close to your face. It would be interesting to compare them from a few yards away. With the low power setting, my RW shoots the JSB 16 around 750 fps, and is extremely quiet at that setting. But in fairness, I am comparing at full power.