• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vortex vs athlon vs hawk

I would rank them this way .

1. Athlon , I personally think it has better glass for a very similar price range with the Hawke . And the one I tested tracked a little better than the Hawke higher end scopes I've used .

2. Hawke , it's close enough that I don't think either of the Hawke or the Athlon could be a mistake . I would pick the one that has the features and reticle you like best .

3. Vortex , at a price range quite a bit lower than the other two it's not optically in the same class. It's a great scope for it's price ...But can't compete with $600-$700 scopes .

That's just my opinion. If I didn't have it in my budget for the higher priced scopes I could roll with the Vortex and be very happy .

If I had the extra money , I'd buy the Athlon Midas Tac . 

Reactions: Swami
I would rank them this way .

1. Athlon , I personally think it has better glass for a very similar price range with the Hawke . And the one I tested tracked a little better than the Hawke higher end scopes I've used .

2. Hawke , it's close enough that I don't think either of the Hawke or the Athlon could be a mistake . I would pick the one that has the features and reticle you like best .

3. Vortex , at a price range quite a bit lower than the other two it's not optically in the same class. It's a great scope for it's price ...But can't compete with $600-$700 scopes .

That's just my opinion. If I didn't have it in my budget for the higher priced scopes I could roll with the Vortex and be very happy .

If I had the extra money , I'd buy the Athlon Midas Tac .

Thanks Joe, that's what I was looking for. Over here I can get the athlon Midas tac for 100 bucks more than the vortex and the same price as the hawk!

I have Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 FFP with APRS2 mil reticle.It really is a good scope.

I really like the reticle and little dot in the middle. The picture is very clear and sharp even at 24x magnification and parallax starts from 10 yards, which is good.

Turrets are very sharp and crispy and clicks are accurate. If you are about to go with Athlon, i would say, that you are not going to regret. Today i was at the shootig range and one guy had a Vortex Diamondback Tactical. That was nice scope too, but not quite at the same level than the Midas TAC.

Im just curious why people need even 16x? I will admit im mainly a hunter but have been training for hft. But if your not in competition I just dont see the point. Also imo unless you pay over 1400 bucks for some serious glass anything over 16x is actually a detrimental effect. My 10x swfa is way better than any hawke I know of at 16x and cheaper. Maybe im wrong but at airgun distances under 200 yards and likely much much closer i think fixed scopes are the bees knees and less is often more. 

I have had a scope or two from all three brands and they all preformed great with great build quality but I personally go with who has the best warranty anymore and that would be Vortex which has an unconditional warranty no matter who owns it at the time it breaks,gets dropped,ran over or lighting strikes it.

That's a warranty hard to beat.

I have actually purchased a HD discovery scope because of the great reviews and to be honest it is great but I'm having buyers remorse as for a few dollars more I could have had it in a vortex with a killer warranty.

To each their own I guess and no matter which one you pick I'm sure you will like it.👍

It is true, that Vortex has great warranty and hard to beat. One of the best for sure. Anyways Athlon has lifetime warranty also. it's pretty good. But the warraty is not the main reason why i would buy a scope.

My opinon is, that Vortex and Athlon are both great choises. You finally decide which one you like more. I was considering between Athlon Midas TAC, Vortex Diamondbac Tactical and new Sightron S-TAC and finally i ended up with Athlon.

I agree with not needing much power for hunting.

i wanted the vortex but for some reason only the higher power 6-24x had the parallax adjust down to 10 yards. But I use it at 11x for hunting.

the 4-14x model only adjusted down to 20 yds on the parallax.

so I went for the 6-24x tactical MOA reticle.

I noticed that, bit of a bummer. Most of the time I leave my scope on 6 or 9 x and only bump up high when zeroing or shooting groups. For that reason I don't really need an ffp scope and when hunting don't dial, just use holdover so might be better suited options out there with better glass.

Man, picking a scope is harder than finding the gun!

Bigger is better for image......I can shoot quicker with less magnification,a clearer view is a better view,some big scopes look dumb on some rifles,sleek is neat and usually handles better.....Match the scope to the rifle and the rifle to field of use or visa versa,either way you want you combination to look as good as they perform plus it shows you know it isn't how big it is it is butt how it gets the job done.