• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vortex Viper HS 6-24×50 vs Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24x56 IR SF

Parallax on the Viper is 50 yards to infinity. It is also a first focal plane scope as opposed to the Hawk which is a second focal plane and has a parallax setting of ten yards to infinity. I wish the Vortex scopes would focus closer and emailed them a couple weeks ago and asked if they could adjusted closer but they said they could not. To bad because I would get one.

I tried a Vortex PST 6x24 on my Boss for EBR this last year. Took it off my AR-10. It's a great scope and I believe Vortex makes a great product. That said, the min parallax is 50 yards. That's just not close enough for an air gun. Vortex makes a Crossfire 6x24 that will parallax to 10 yards. After trying other scopes I went with the Hawke 8x32x56. Optics are as clear as the Vortex and other scopes I have costing 3 times as much. Parallax is 10 yard. The 32 power model is for all purposes the same cost and weight as the 24 and 16 power, so why not. Now, if Hawke would only put the H59 reticle with mill marks above center for hole under they would have the ABSOLUTE PERFECT scope. 

I would like to say, YES, the paralex on the Vortex can be altered. I am now the proud owner of the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp with ebr2c mrad reticle. The Vortex scopes do come with a minimum paralex of 50 yards. Which is a shame for airgunners like myself that like to shoot upwards of 15 yards. I live in England and there are only 2 main vortex dealers, one of which told me it IS possible to alter and shorten the paralex. After doing a bit research on the subject I found there was very little on altering paralex on scopes. I came across 2 people that said the same thing. And tried it myself and it worked! Unscrew and remove the objective lens cover cap and turn the lens carrier counter clockwise. Do it carefully and in increments of quarter turns until your desired minimum paralex distance. Before doing this I would advise that you set up readable paper targets every 5 or 10 yards from say 15 yards out to 60 yards. Remember when you alter this make notes on where your reparalexing it as you will have to put new markings on the paralex wheel. And bare in mind when you shorten the minimum paralex distance, you also shorten the maximum paralex distance. Good luck.