Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50??

I'm looking to buy a lightweight scope in this magnification range and this one seems like the one that suites me best at the moment as well as about the lightest that I've run across considering the feature set??

The March 3-24x42 is close to the same weight but much more expensive. I've owned one and wasn't that impressed with it.

If any of you guys have one would you share your thoughts please but especially how it compares to your other scopes.

Thanks

Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP (y)(y)

Very happy with mine. Ultra clear glass. It says parallax down to 25yds, but that's probably at the high 22x, as I can focus on objects closer that 15yds at 10x.

I have mine mounted on my RTI Prophet1 and it does not look too large for gun..only 13.1" in length. I can post a pic if you're interested. Did I already say I'm very happy? :)

I bought mine LibertyOpticsLLC. Owner's name is Scott. In OCT 2021, I purchased mine..no tax no shipping. Those add a lot if you purchase somewhere else.

He sometimes runs specials, so you might give him a call..

Last fall, a local gun shop let me take the 3-15 home to check it out (my promise not to mount it). I personally didn't like it. I had a hard time focusing it, IQ seemed fuzzy around the edges. Maybe I was looking thru a lemon.🤔
Maybe the 4.5-22 is a better unit??

A buddy of mine just dropped a small fortune on a PB with a rebranded Vortex (Revic). My friend's purveyor has been in the hunting and optic business and doesn't have too many nice things to say about Vortex. He pushes Leupolds (6HD) and Swavorski. Out of my budget.

Have you looked at some of Maven's scopes?

Reactions: steve123
I'm looking to buy a lightweight scope in this magnification range and this one seems like the one that suites me best at the moment as well as about the lightest that I've run across considering the feature set??

The March 3-24x42 is close to the same weight but much more expensive. I've owned one and wasn't that impressed with it.

If any of you guys have one would you share your thoughts please but especially how it compares to your other scopes.

Thanks
I've had the SFP version 3-15x with 1" tube on my Cricket mini-Carbine for about 5 years now. Very good MOA reticle, great clarity, and lightweight. Clarity is better than my Athlon Midas TAC scopes... Equivalent to the Vortex Golden Eagle.

Cricket 2022 hunting.jpg

Cricket EBR2018.jpg

Very happy with mine. Ultra clear glass. It says parallax down to 25yds, but that's probably at the high 22x, as I can focus on objects closer that 15yds at 10x.

I have mine mounted on my RTI Prophet1 and it does not look too large for gun..only 13.1" in length. I can post a pic if you're interested. Did I already say I'm very happy? :)

I bought mine LibertyOpticsLLC. Owner's name is Scott. In OCT 2021, I purchased mine..no tax no shipping. Those add a lot if you purchase somewhere else.

Thanks for commenting.

I talked to Scott this morning right after I made this thread.
Might buy one tomorrow but would like more input first. He told me the first shipments had some problems but those are all worked out now.

I like to try out newer models of various brands of scopes I haven't gotten to yet so this would be a good one to go for.

Last fall, a local gun shop let me take the 3-15 home to check it out (my promise not to mount it). I personally didn't like it. I had a hard time focusing it, IQ seemed fuzzy around the edges. Maybe I was looking thru a lemon.🤔
Maybe the 4.5-22 is a better unit??

A buddy of mine just dropped a small fortune on a PB with a rebranded Vortex (Revic). My friend's purveyor has been in the hunting and optic business and doesn't have too many nice things to say about Vortex. He pushes Leupolds (6HD) and Swavorski. Out of my budget.

Have you looked at some of Maven's scopes?

I've have a friend that has a PST that has never worked right even after sending it back so I understand.

I suppose I could send it back if I don't like the LHT to Scott?? I better ask him about it.

I looked at Maven a few minutes ago when I saw your suggestion but I prefer this Vortex on paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.H
I have one, currently sitting on my MK2 Crown.

It's an excellent scope.
The glass is in Stryker/gen 2 Cronus territory but with a little more contrast, and a wider FOV. Resolution is excellent and depth of field is also very good. Chromatic aberration control is excellent.
Eye box is very easy to get behind.
Parallax is smooth and easy to adjust just right, but turns in the opposite direction to the usual. Optically it's my best scope behind my Leica PRS 5-30x56.

The weight, or rather lack thereof, is striking vs obvious competition like a nexus. It does look a bit less 'heavy duty' than your average scope, but build quality is great.

The windage turret is very small and mushy but dead on accurate from what I can see. Apparently this is a weight saving thing and it is assumed it'll be set, capped and forgotten. The elevation turret is like a stryker or nexus, but slightly 'softer' and with wider click spacing due to the 6mil/rev. Very easy to count clicks and has been spot on for me.

The diopter adjustment is similar to a nightforce where the whole ocular turns and is then secured with a locking ring. Also apparently a weight saver and it works well.

Overall I'd venture to say it's the scope Elements advertising team would like you to think the Nexus is and then some. Its much better in every respect, except perhaps for the turrets, where the elevation is roughly on par and the windage behind.
Mine replaced a Nexus and no regrets.

It's an excellent scope.
The glass is in Stryker/gen 2 Cronus territory but with a little more contrast, and a wider FOV. Resolution is excellent and depth of field is also very good. Chromatic aberration control is excellent.
Parallax is smooth and easy to adjust just right, but turns in the opposite direction to the usual. Optically it's my best scope behind my Leica PRS 5-30x56.

The weight, or rather lack thereof, is striking vs obvious competition like a nexus. It does look a bit less 'heavy duty' than your average scope, but build quality is great.

The windage turret is very small and mushy but dead on accurate from what I can see. Apparently this is a weight saving thing and it is assumed it'll be set, capped and forgotten. The elevation turret is like a stryker or nexus, but slightly 'softer' and with wider click spacing due to the 6mil/rev. Very easy to count clicks and has been spot on for me.

The diopter adjustment is similar to a nightforce where the whole ocular turns and is then secured with a locking ring. Also apparently a weight saver and it works well.

Overall I'd venture to say it's the scope Elements advertising team would like you to think the Nexus is and then some. Its much better in every respect, except perhaps for the turrets, where the elevation is roughly on par and the windage behind.

Nice description!

It tells me everything I need to know. I wish it had nicer turrets but my other $1000-ish priced non Athlon brand scopes have those less tactile feeling turrets also so I'll live with it until something else better comes along.

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Macros
Just a heads up - I felt I needed to properly confirm and qualify my FOV statement, so I made a direct comparison with one of my strykers.
The FOV is essentially identical to the stryker at low magnification, but wider by about 0.5mil (conservative) at 22.5x.
Direct comparison on a dark cloudy day does however show the improvement in glass quality over the stryker is, if anything, more substantial than my above description implies.

Last edited:

It's an excellent scope.

This sounds like a very nice scope. Can you provide two more pieces of data... what is the amount of knob twist to range from 10 to 55 yards, and from 40 to 55 yards. I have a Sightron SIII 10-50x60 FT and the amount of turn is 225 degrees and 13 degrees respectively for these ranges. The longer the turn the easier it is to rangefind for Hunter Division FT at 16x magnification. I've heard the Element Titan has 270 degrees of turn for the 10-55 yard range.

Ibc,
It was the parallax that stopped me from purchasing the 3-15, which goes down to a closer twenty yards, according to spec. Things being equal, your comment on parallax bodes well for the 3-15. My interest is peaked again. Steve, please don’t mind my not answering your comment directly.
And, for what it means, Ilya Koshkin made one of these models his scope of the year for 2021, but I forgot which one. Thanks. S7

This sounds like a very nice scope. Can you provide two more pieces of data... what is the amount of knob twist to range from 10 to 55 yards, and from 40 to 55 yards. I have a Sightron SIII 10-50x60 FT and the amount of turn is 225 degrees and 13 degrees respectively for these ranges. The longer the turn the easier it is to rangefind for Hunter Division FT at 16x magnification. I've heard the Element Titan has 270 degrees of turn for the 10-55 yard range.

It's an excellent scope.

Macros, you covered a lot of important things here. Very good job. Thanks. S7

Last edited:
Reactions: Macros
I ordered a Vortex HD LHT 4.5-22x50 in mil yesterday as well as some low 30mm Vortex/Seekins rings.

It's not expected to arrive for a month or so but I'll get back on here to give my thoughts when it does. I'll be using it for XFT here in AZ on one of my more powerful pcp's. It'll be nicer to hold up the rifle in offhand being a pound lighter than with my other scopes. Currently probably 11-12 pounds right now and front heavy so I'm hopeful for improvement in this area.

Thanks for the help guys!

Can't really do this as the scope only technically focuses down to 25yds. While using it at 16x will help a, maybe allowing focus down to 18-20yds it won't get near 10. Also it's depth of field is quite deep at all mag ranges vs your typical FT scope, so unless I'm missing something it's not really going to be suitable?

Last edited:
Reactions: RScott
It’s been a while, but I ended up buying the 3-15x50. I can get a decent focus on lower power (3-6 or so and up a bit, maybe to 8 or 9) to ten and fifteen yards, certainly enough to take a close shot. The parallax acuity becomes one of thinking in gradations: at 3x I can see very well at nine or ten yards, at 5x less so, but at 5x or so I can see quite well at fifteen yards; at 8x, I can see fairly well at about 13 yards, and so on. I am sure most of you know about seeing in gradations of clarity. I just checked things for the sake of this post. But do know that seeing ‘well’ or sufficiently is not the same as perfectly, so I don’t want to say that.

Yes, the turrets are not crisp, with the windage being less so than the elevation.
The scope has a very nice image, and while I thought I would not like the BDC reticle, I think I have changed my mind. But since the scope is not yet mounted, I cannot speak to how well it works for my context.

Steve, did your bigger brother come? If so, how do you like it? S7

Edit: I mixed up the numbers for 5x and 8x. The 13 yards goes with the 5x, and the 15 yards with the 8x. Sorry about that.
I still love a 10 yard parallax. S7

Last edited:
It’s been a while, but I ended up buying the 3-15x50. I can get a decent focus on lower power (3-6 or so and up a bit, maybe to 8 or 9) to ten and fifteen yards, certainly enough to take a close shot. The parallax acuity becomes one of thinking in gradations: at 3x I can see very well at nine or ten yards, at 5x less so, but at 5x or so I can see quite well at fifteen yards; at 8x, I can see fairly well at about 13 yards, and so on. I am sure most of you know about seeing in gradations of clarity. I just checked things for the sake of this post. But do know that seeing ‘well’ or sufficiently is not the same as perfectly, so I don’t want to say that.

Yes, the turrets are not crisp, with the windage being less so than the elevation.
The scope has a very nice image, and while I thought I would not like the BDC reticle, I think I have changed my mind. But since the scope is not yet mounted, I cannot speak to how well it works for my context.

Steve, did your bigger brother come? If so, how do you like it? S7

Good to know this about your 3-15.

Nope mine has not arrived yet which kinda pisses me off because I was expecting it a month ago.