• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Vortex Diamondback vs. Hawke Sidewinder 3.2.1. go

As bandg said, scopes are very subjective! I own lots of Vortex scopes from the Crossfire and Diamondback up to the Razor & Golden Eagle and absolutely love them. I know lots of people like their Hawke scopes, I am not a fan of them at all. I also think there are just too many better options available for the same or less money these days. 

I'm not sure which Diamondback you're considering but I absolutely love the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP. I got mine when they were first released, on sale for $284 but even at $349-$399, they're a great deal. The turrets are great, they track perfectly, they have a great magnification range, they're crystal clear/sharp, I love the reticle and they have a lifetime warranty. I'm sure some will complain about the reticle size, as it is a FFP. But that's how it goes...Some complain when they're too big, some complain when they're too small. It's a great scope for the money!

Stoti

This is from memory but I think the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 has a 25 yard min parallax where the 6-24x50 has a 15 yard min parallax. This might be a problem for some. I have the 4-16x44. I have 1 Vortex and 8 Hawkes and I like both of them. MM

Diamondback Tac 4-16 owner here, parallax is 20 yards which is not great for back yard. However it's pretty damn good scope besides that at the price point for a FFP. My other gripe is turrets don't have revolution counter and relatively low so harder to put sticker on but I don't use sticker anymore. However I'm a bit sad about no revolution counter for the turret because if I have to go pass 1 full revolution it's hard to remember, I've done that a few times and watched my shots gone way off.

Hind sight being 20/20 I should of gotten the 6-24 for better magnification and closer parallax, then again if I have to do it over I probably won't get the Diamondback anymore, I'd spend a little more on something else with a better turret.

I have four Hawke Sidewinder 6x24 FFP and 3 Vortex Diamondback tactical 6x24 FFP scopes - both are fantastic. If you don’t care about the large side focus wheel and illuminated reticle, you will be very pleased with the Diamondback. I actually like the reticle on the Diamondback. I have one Diamondback in MOA and one in Milrad - either is great but I actually like the Milrad better.

Good luck.

If forced to choose between ONLY THESE 2 BRANDS Get the Hawke specifically this one it's clearer than my $399 Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x absolutely no comparison but the Hawke is a step up since you're paying more than $100 extra for it. It's the CLEAREST CHINESE scope I have ever owned and clearer than my ALL OF MY $650 CHINESE MTC Viper Pros. Yo!

1590361852_3953593455ecafefc75e061.38446356.jpg

There's a HAWKE SW30 6.5-20x42 on the Classifieds for $350. I have several of those too and those are super duper clear too you would think you're looking through JAPAN glass but that's Chinese too but I'd recommend it especially for $350 that one's CRYSTAL CLEAR all the way to 20x MAX. I even bought from Dan before too many years ago good fella. Yo!

I have the Hawke 6.5-20 42mm scope an it is very clear all the way to 20X and the mill dot reticle is good. Not too coarse or fine. An added value of the Hawke scopes are the included sunshade, high quality metal flip lens covers, and high quality side wheel for ranging with the focus. the smaller 42mm scope is a good application for my .177 for pesting out to 40 yards and fits with low rings. For punching paper I like more magnification. Unless you really need a 42mm size to get a lower scope height, why not go for the sidewinder 32x. There is a refurb available right now for $426.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Refurbished_Hawke_Sport_Optics_Sidewinder_30_8_32x56_AO_Rifle_Scope_Ill_20x_1_2_Mil_Dot_Reticle_1_4_MOA_30mm_Tube/7419