• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Vortek PG4 TX200HC ISSUES

You might also check to see if there's an extra washer / spacer stuck at the bottom of the compression tube. I don't know the history of your rifle, but if it's second hand, someone may have put a spacer in there for more compression. It's very hard to see them, even with a flashlight. The best technique, which I learned from Nitrocrushr, is to put a little thick grease on the top hat (which is mounted on your spring), and push it (the spring with the top hat) down into the tube until it bottoms out, then lift it back out. If there's a spacer down there, that should bring it back out.

Not aTX200 and not a Vortek kit but when I was putting a Maccari tune kit for in my HW95 I had this same problem. Instead of using his full kit I wanted to use his spring , top hat and his preload washers but use the factory bottom spring guide. Put it all together go to cock it and it wouldn’t cock or should I say you could cock it but it wouldn’t latch. Took several times of taking it apart and putting it together before I realized that the factory spring guide was longer than the one provided with the Maccari one. Cut a few mm off the end and it worked like a charm. Have since just went back to using his spring guide anyway but still a lesson learned. 

I had a similar issue with my two older RWS 45s. I tried to install top hats with different springs in each and both wouldn't latch when I tried to cock them. I removed the top hats and that fixed the problem. When I installed the PG4 12lbs kit in my 97 I set the adjustable top hat in the lowest position and installed one of the brass washers. The firing cycle was harsh so I removed it and this cleared up any problems.

That sucks! Before cutting any coils try removing the tophat first. That alone might give enough clearance but check for any vibration or twang. If there's none your done if there is then you'll have to cut coil(s). The open coil design of the newer kits will make this pretty easy but agree should not have to be done and Vortek should make it right at no extra cost IMO.